An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2017, 01:24 AM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
In the OP's defense, she's doing what many churches tell their members to do: Go preach your change of heart about religion and your story of grace to nonbelievers. I feel bad for her. To go from living in reality and living a life on your own terms back into a state of delusion is sad to me.

I hope the OP is happy and if she is, then go with God Wink. I do hope she decides to stay in our little forum and gets some exposure to rational thought--and then maybe reassess the "magic" of her vision with clearer eyes.

Religion is a bitch and doesn't let people go easy. Once you crack open the magic can, it's really easy to believe anything can happen, including visions.

I am glad we have rational theists like KC and Aliza and Shai on the forum, but not everyone can balance out the magic from rational thought as easy. For those people, I have nothing but compassion because it is really easy to get caught up in woo if you let yourself and I say this as a former Jesus freak Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
07-01-2017, 01:24 AM
I think it's odd that someone who claims to have been a non-believer for so long doesn't get that atheists get fucking sick of Christianity. It's shoved in my face every fucking day. One time at work after a long prayer before a work party meal I hollered out, "Praise Satan!" I guess the point of telling that little story is to say it's irritating how Christians expect to have their stupid, and I mean incredibly moronic, beliefs accepted all the time everywhere they go. I mean, what if I stood up before every public meal and expected everyone to shut the fuck up while I gave a little speech about the wonderful merits of atheism?
[+] 6 users Like I'mFred's post
07-01-2017, 01:45 AM
(07-01-2017 01:24 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I think it's odd that someone who claims to have been a non-believer for so long doesn't get that atheists get fucking sick of Christianity. It's shoved in my face every fucking day. One time at work after a long prayer before a work party meal I hollered out, "Praise Satan!" I guess the point of telling that little story is to say it's irritating how Christians expect to have their stupid, and I mean incredibly moronic, beliefs accepted all the time everywhere they go. I mean, what if I stood up before every public meal and expected everyone to shut the fuck up while I gave a little speech about the wonderful merits of atheism?

I like that. My extended family members (including in-laws) loooooooooove to pray in front of me, especially at meals, at every opportunity.

I'm gonna start following the "Amen" with "Hail Sagan".

[Image: ef3ae34849a8d31b27dbac73efcb31a0.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-01-2017, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 02:40 AM by GirlyMan.)
(06-01-2017 04:04 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I've decided I'm leaving. I don't feel welcomed here. I've feel I’ve been mocked, belittled, and derided. I shouldn’t have responded to these comments or to the invasions of my privacy and personal health as I did. I don't feel this is an atmosphere of civil, friendly debate or discussion. I'm a human being and I don't deserve to be treated this way. Thank you to the few of you who showed me some kindness. Blessings to you all.

You made it a week. That's something at least. Here's a Thumbsup for playing.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-01-2017, 04:50 AM
(06-01-2017 07:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Boo-frickin-hoo

First sign of being challenged, you pick up your ball and go home. Pathetic. You post this on an atheist site, and... you... expected... what? ...exactly?

Theist of your ilk are vomit inducing. No backbone. No confidence. No education. No ability to stand up.

Go get circle jerked on a Christian forum and go give a sob story to your Sunday school class about the "mean ole atheist forum that hurt your feelings".

You need a lot of growing before you can enter the fray.

Do the other theists and me a favor and sack up or gtfo. Ain't got patience for weak minded cry babies.

The thing that really got me was her moaning about an invasion of privacy and comments regarding her health issues, ALL information that SHE herself volunteered in that car wreck fail of a personal testimony. The arrogance required to think you can do things like that and deserve immunity from criticism is absolutely epic.
[+] 7 users Like adey67's post
07-01-2017, 06:58 AM
(06-01-2017 04:04 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I've decided I'm leaving. I don't feel welcomed here. I've feel I’ve been mocked, belittled, and derided. I shouldn’t have responded to these comments or to the invasions of my privacy and personal health as I did. I don't feel this is an atmosphere of civil, friendly debate or discussion. I'm a human being and I don't deserve to be treated this way. Thank you to the few of you who showed me some kindness. Blessings to you all.

Sadcryface

All the best for yourself and kin.

*Waves*
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
07-01-2017, 08:32 AM
(07-01-2017 01:24 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I think it's odd that someone who claims to have been a non-believer for so long doesn't get that atheists get fucking sick of Christianity.
Yes but not everyone who is an atheist is an atheist for well-considered reasons. Not everyone is a deconvert like me who had to work hard to pry theist ideation out of their half-melted brains with a crowbar. Not everyone has a good bullshit filter until they work to develop one.

Some just land on the label and self-identify as an atheist by a sort of "soft default" where they don't see the point in religion until events transpire that they do. Such, it seems, was this poster. Sure, she claims she was vocal and agreed with all the usual talking points, and I have no particular reason to disbelieve her testimony. But you can do that just by social mirroring and fitting in, as well as you could do it by being substantively convinced. Such a person is just waiting for a personal tragedy or brainfart like this one had, to push them in a different direction. There is no "there" there.

And that's fine, but what she'd discovering now is that there's a whole world of atheism that she never was even aware of, much less participated in.

So while I think those who accuse her of lying about being an atheist are being needlessly carping, and are no better than typical theists mounting a No True Scotsman fallacy ... I would be unsurprised to find that this poster was in some ways lying to herself and therefore unintentionally to us about the exact nature of her former atheism.

The difference between her and me is that for me to reconvert or to convert to some other religion besides my religion of origin, someone would have to demonstrate that the epistemology I now actually use and understand (naturalism, empiricism, reason, the scientific method) was a failure and somehow the epistemology of religious faith was not. For the OP to reconvert, she just had to have the hairs stand up on the back of her neck because of some momentary hallucination, the only criteria for which appears to be that it was emotionally compelling at the time.
[+] 8 users Like mordant's post
07-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Very good post. Sometimes I'm not very good at seeing other people's points of view.
07-01-2017, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 11:08 AM by Peter Slevon.)
(06-01-2017 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 11:13 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  What are the two meanings of "believe" you allege I am conflating?
Evidence:
1. There is first hand evidence.
2. Then there is evidence that someone you know has. (The person's say so.)
3. Then there is reported evidence or hear say evidence.
Each if believed becomes one's knowledge.
Item 1 there would have to be good reason not to believe it.

Read what I wrote. Facepalm
Yeah, you insist facts do not require any kind of belief. Then you insist you said there are two different meanings for "believe." Facepalm
07-01-2017, 11:28 AM
(06-01-2017 07:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Boo-frickin-hoo

First sign of being challenged, you pick up your ball and go home. Pathetic. You post this on an atheist site, and... you... expected... what? ...exactly?

Theist of your ilk are vomit inducing. No backbone. No confidence. No education. No ability to stand up.

Go get circle jerked on a Christian forum and go give a sob story to your Sunday school class about the "mean ole atheist forum that hurt your feelings".

You need a lot of growing before you can enter the fray.

Do the other theists and me a favor and sack up or gtfo. Ain't got patience for weak minded cry babies.

In defense of PeacefulHate, you folk are a particularly nasty and brutish lot. Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus