An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
I didn't read the whole thing but...

Quote:Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light. It was so pure, clean, and white. It was just glorious and I felt so much truth coming from the Light. Words fail to describe the beauty of what I saw and it was the most beautiful, profound experience of my life. I felt this amazing, amazing peace in my heart as well as forgiveness, love, purity, beauty, kindness. I knew God was this infinite Love and that He was the source of all love in ourselves and in the world.

...which god did you mean?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
29-12-2016, 03:14 PM
(29-12-2016 02:31 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I'm no doctor but it sounds like you had an episode of some sort. Possibly related to your disorder.

It would appear that the OP has had textbook hallucination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
29-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I would've been more impressed if you actually "found" God or some kind of proof of God outside of an anecdotal "vision" story that we just have to trust. I mean you found him in your mind, we can't test that or replicate it.

Here are my questions:

I guess we should also trust every alien abduction, ghost haunting and Bigfoot encounter story as well? One person's word or even many many people all agreeing that aliens have abducted them (there are even support groups for these people) are all true just because they say so?

I'm interested to see how you can defend your new found Christian beliefs but honestly I'd like to know if you accept other anecdotal personal stories relating to supernatural phenomena including aliens, ghosts, cryptids, faith healing, psychics, auras, dowsers, witches, magical amulets/charms, karma, reincarnation/past lives, channeling, astral projection, etc. I'd like to see how you can explain all of these beliefs if you accept them as fact, but do you accept them?

If you don't accept these beliefs as fact I'd like to know why the eyewitness testimony of these many thousands of people isn't good enough evidence to convince you to believe in it yourself?

In what way is your vision story different than their ghost, alien, etc. story? How are they the same?

Is there any reason we should accept your vision story while also dismissing or rejecting all of the other phenomena humans have experienced?

If you can't find a reason why we should accept your story while dismissing the others, why did you even bring it up or share it with us?

Were you hoping we would reject it? If that is so what other reason do you have that convinced you to accept Christianity besides the vision and other people having the same vision?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
29-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Why are you assuming she didn't take a video?

Once she posts the evidence the traffic on this site is going to skyrocket!
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Was he behind the kfc?

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-12-2016, 04:51 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I still think I’m a critical thinker.

Thinking that you are critical thinker does not make you one. Especially in light of what you wrote.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
29-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Forgive me, people. I'm not able to respond to everyone's comments today, and I don't know if I will be able to get to everyone's comments, given the amount of responses to my thread. I will attempt to respond more in a few days. Here is what I could for now.

(29-12-2016 02:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Did you get a picture?

Nope, I did not. I wish I could show people what I saw, but I can't.

(29-12-2016 02:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, welcome to the forum. Hope you brought your A-game with you.

Thank you. I can tell I'm in for a lot.

(29-12-2016 02:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Interesting that the god you were raised with culturally is the exact one who appeared to you Wink

That fact did not escape me when I had my vision. I believe because it felt like the truth of the universe and God had been revealed to me in my heart.

(29-12-2016 02:10 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  At least you're not one of those "Genesis is LITERAL! Evolution is a LIE!"-type Christians.

After my whole experience, I really don't know what I feel about evolution. I believe the Bible is true and is the word of God. I also don't think that science invalidates the Bible. I think there's some in between I just can't know.

Quote:We really don't care what a person believes, religiously. We do, however, care if their religion causes them to exclude reality from their thinking and then come here to try to push that delusion onto us... or into our children's classrooms.

I'll try not to do that. I believe very much in separation of church and state if that makes you feel any better about the school matter.

Quote:This is an intro thread, so I won't go into it too much, but having read your story I would point out that you openly admit that you have recent (over the course of your life) neurological disorders that have manifested in your adult life. Might I respectfully recommend you consider the possibility that your "vision of pure light" was not a special visitation from the Creator of the Universe but a product of your brain chemistry and/or miswiring?

Autism isn't a recent neurological disorder that manifested during my adulthood. It's something you're born with. A lot of people with autism are diagnosed at an early age. However, some people, like myself, fly under the radar and don't get diagnosed until much later. These are usually people with what's called High-Functioning Autism or HFA. The symptoms don't usually become apparent for them until high school, college, or during their careers where the environment changes significantly and there are greater demands on performance. Autism isn't associated with hallucinations. I also don't have any other disorders that are associated with hallucinations. In fact, after I was diagnosed with ASD, I participated in several MRI research studies for ASD. None of them found anything abnormal or problematic about my brain scans. I actually had an MRI done after my vision, and I was given a clean bill of health by two neurologists who were overseeing me. They said it was completely unremarkable. So, yes, it is possible that, because I have a disorder, my experience is a result of that. However, the evidence in my life doesn't suggest that.

Quote:I recommend you look into the research related to the "God Helmet", as it's often called, in which it is possible to generate those feelings of a transcendent divine presence and other hallucinations by manipulating the brain with magnetic waves.

I've known about the God Helmet for several years. I knew about it before my vision and I remember thinking it was interesting. I don't know all of the details on it anymore. Just, this happened when I wasn't wearing any such helmet.

Quote:Meanwhile, welcome to TTA. I'm a former field biologist who studied viral genetics, and my wife (a Christian) works in a genetics lab (mainly working with longevity genes in C. elegans), so it will be nice to have your input and expertise in that field.

Hi, nice to meet you! I'm not sure I'll have much input or expertise. It's been so many years since I was last in school. I feel I know more about psychology than anything else now.

Quote:Hope you stick around. It would be nice to have another Christian voice around here who understands evolution and that it's reality, not an "atheism thing", an accusation we have slung our way almost literally daily.

Congrats on finding us. Hope you become a member of the community. Smile

No, I don't believe evolution is an "atheism thing" Shy Thanks for the welcome, though!

Quote:Edit to Add: One tip, though. Nobody becomes angry when we're told someone is praying for us. We just don't think prayer does anything magical. You're talking to yourself. But it means you're thinking nice things about us. We become shitty with you when you say "I'll pray for you" as a passive-aggressive way of calling us bad things. That makes the praying person an asshole, and our indignation righteous. Suggesting that atheists think a certain way about religious people is a Bad Idea™.

I wasn't trying to make a generalized statement about all atheists. It was something that I felt when I was an atheist. It really angered me to pour my heart out to someone and all they could say is, "I'll pray for you." I really had a ton of anger towards Christians, and my atheists friends did too. I mean to speak from my perspective.

(29-12-2016 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why in God's name would you believe that? Because you had some sorta OBE? We call that Tuesday night in my neck of the woods. Brain dicking with you is certainly no reason to believe it can continue to do so lacking oxygen.

I wish I knew what to say. Forgive me, I just don't feel this is a genuine question.

(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Looking forward to hearing how you were able to differentiate between contact from a god and a hallucination, how you determined which god it was, and, most importantly, why anybody else should believe it.

Usually, the most obvious cause for a hallucination is schizophrenia and I've never been diagnosed with this. I'm also well past the age range for which it onsets. I don't have any other disorders that are associated with hallucinations. The feeling that it was the God of the Bible was simply very strong and undeniable to me. When I had my vision, I felt it to my core, in my heart. It was very personal. I can't make anyone believe it. I think coming to God, in a lot of ways, requires putting a lot of arguments and desire for scientific evidence aside. I became a Christian, not because of arguments, but because of my experience. I think that's really the basis of belief or lack of belief.

(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Also, OP, have you had a chance to get your vision (as in eyes) checked? Seeing white flashes of light can be a symptom of retinal detachment (which can lead to blindness if left untreated).

Yes, I've been checked. I was having some medical issues recently. I was seen by an ophthalmologist, then a retinal ophthalmologist, then a neurologist. The ophthalmologists said my eyes were perfect, I had no signs of retinal detachment, brain tumor, or any fluid disturbance. I saw a neurologist who performed an MRI, MRV, and an MRA, I think. The neurologist said my scans were completely unremarkable. It's possible what I experienced is a result of a medical condition or something unknown lurking beneath the surface. It's possible it's due to any number of factors you can think of that invalidate my experience or my perception of it. I believe otherwise. What I saw in my vision wasn't flashes of white light though. It was like seeing the sky radiant with a beautiful, glowing light. I wrote about it in much more detail in the links I provided, if you're interested.

(29-12-2016 02:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. I won't argue with you here since this is the introductions forum. But I just wanted to say that your experience is not uncommon (in fact, another poster came here with a very similar story not very long ago) and there are explanations having nothing to do with any god.

That's true. I was very glad to find my experience wasn't uncommon. It was a great comfort to me to find stories of people who saw and felt all of the same things. There are other explanations, of course. There always are with these things. I just believe otherwise.

(29-12-2016 02:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How have you applied critical thinking to your first quote above?

I don’t know how to respond to this since I feel I’m being mocked.

(29-12-2016 02:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Are you here to spread the gospel and win souls for jesus?

If my story does that, then, yes, I will be happy. However, I don't intend to shove my views down anyone's throat or just go around preaching.

(29-12-2016 02:25 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Indeed. I'm hoping she's here to clear up some of her obvious misconceptions about atheists.

I'm a little leery of people who claim to be former atheists and then make a statement about atheists/atheism that is diametrically opposed to every experience I've ever had with atheists throughout my adult life.

I didn't intend to generalize. What I wrote was meant to be my experience as an atheist.
29-12-2016, 05:47 PM
(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why in God's name would you believe that? Because you had some sorta OBE? We call that Tuesday night in my neck of the woods. Brain dicking with you is certainly no reason to believe it can continue to do so lacking oxygen.

I wish I knew what to say. Forgive me, I just don't feel this is a genuine question.

And I don't think you have an answer.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Quote:Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God.

Sounds more like a stroke. Did you see a doctor?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
29-12-2016, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 09:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I prayed to god and she did reveal herself to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhinnamasta

Funny, of ALL the various gods, the ones that *just happen* to reveal themselves, *just happen* to always be the local ones.

Facepalm

If you've seen god, you don't need faith then, do you ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post