An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 09:40 PM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
(29-12-2016 09:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 09:24 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I've never had a vision of Jesus. Why does he not like me?

He's jealous of your beard Wink

Figures.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 10:38 PM
(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Nope, I did not. I wish I could show people what I saw, but I can't.
As a "critical thinker" what would you call an assertion made with utterly no supporting evidence?

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  That fact did not escape me when I had my vision. I believe because it felt like the truth of the universe and God had been revealed to me in my heart.
What one feels the truth is and what the truth actually is are very often not the same thing. This is why we do not release scientific journals with conclusions based on the feelings of the scientists. "Feelings" are very often presumptuous, self-gratifying, delusional and most often not reflective of reality.
Feeling in your heart that you are a billionaire doesn't mean you are a billionaire.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  After my whole experience, I really don't know what I feel about evolution.
Well, considering one is backed up by decades of peer-reviewed study by multiple generations of educated scientists with mountains of supporting evidence and the other is just something you "feel" is true which one would you say, as a "critical thinker" is a more sensible position?
Evolution is a FACT, and if you are prepared to reject facts in favor of your personal feelings, or even to bend them to fit your beliefs narrative, then you are DEMONSTRABLY not a critical thinker.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I believe the Bible is true and is the word of God.
Let me guess, only the parts you agree with? I say this because part of that "true" book and word of god is that rape victims should be sold to their rapists, it's fine to beat a disobedient child to death, that gay people are to be killed, and that genocide is god go to solution to any problem, and many other horrific monstrosities in the bible.

Somehow though I suspect you have found ways to handwave the objectionable content of that "true" book away to maintain your belief.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I also don't think that science invalidates the Bible.
This leads me to believe you have never actually read the book. Science does so over and over again throughout the books ponderous reading. Unless you think a cockatrice is a real thing, pi is 3, and plant life developed before the sun to name just a few examples.

Here is a list of several hundred you can read.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I think there's some in between I just can't know.
No, that is your attempt to make the facts conform to your beliefs and not your beliefs to the facts. Evolution is a fact and there are numerous places where the bible is demonstrably wrong.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I believe very much in separation of church and state if that makes you feel any better about the school matter.
This is good and I'll praise you for it as many Christians do not support that. I'm very happy that is your opinion and I sincerely hope the separation of church and state does not become another casualty of your apparent decent from rationality.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  So, yes, it is possible that, because I have a disorder, my experience is a result of that. However, the evidence in my life doesn't suggest that.
Not to be rude but I find this defense laughable at best. On one hand, you dismiss as lacking in evidence hallucinations, which are common and naturally occurring phenomena in human brains, but with the other hand you embrace an explanation that has literally zero demonstrable evidence which is based on a personal opinion and a 2000 year old book.

This is entirely irrational.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I've known about the God Helmet for several years. I knew about it before my vision and I remember thinking it was interesting. I don't know all of the details on it anymore. Just, this happened when I wasn't wearing any such helmet.
The helmet works by stimulating a part of the brain that can cause exactly what you felt. This means that the brain naturally has the capacity to cause the phenomena you described. Attributing that which manifests naturally to something supernatural or mythological without extremely good supporting evidence is irrational and premature.
There is little substantive difference between what you are claiming and attributing an electrical shock to god. The natural explanation is always the most likely.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I feel I know more about psychology than anything else now.
You should be able to recognize your cognitive dissonance than one would think.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I wish I knew what to say. Forgive me, I just don't feel this is a genuine question.
Allow me than. What actual demonstrable evidence or rational explanation do you have to justify your assertion that this experience was caused by the supernatural god of the Bible over the nearly infinitely more likely explanation that it was a naturally occurring phenomena in the brain that we not only know about but can even replicate with equipment?

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Usually, the most obvious cause for a hallucination is schizophrenia and I've never been diagnosed with this. I'm also well past the age range for which it onsets. I don't have any other disorders that are associated with hallucinations.
Hallucinations happen for a whole host of reasons. That you have, possibly, eliminated two does not exclude all potentialities for hallucinations. This is magnified many fold when your only alternative explanation is an appeal to a supernatural force for which no evidence exists.

You badly need to apply Occum's Razor to put it lightly.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  The feeling that it was the God of the Bible was simply very strong and undeniable to me. When I had my vision, I felt it to my core, in my heart. It was very personal. I can't make anyone believe it.
It is sentences like this that make me suspect you have entirely jettisoned your ability to think critically and evaluate objectively.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I think coming to God, in a lot of ways, requires putting a lot of arguments and desire for scientific evidence aside.
And it is sadly sentences like this that confirm it absolutely. What you have just stated is a textbook example of the suspension of reason. If the only way to come to a conclusion is to ignore the evidence and suspend critical think than that is a position not worth holding.
You would not hold this position on your medical care (I would hope), and you shouldn't hold it here. On this matter, you are demonstrably irrational and are most definitely not a "critical thinker" as no critical thinker would ever say anything so patently foolish.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I became a Christian, not because of arguments, but because of my experience. I think that's really the basis of belief or lack of belief.
Than your basis is irrational as your explanation for your experience has been irrational.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  It's possible what I experienced is a result of a medical condition or something unknown lurking beneath the surface. It's possible it's due to any number of factors you can think of that invalidate my experience or my perception of it. I believe otherwise.
Irrationally so. A natural explanation is far more likely than a supernatural explanation with a source that has no basis in fact or reality. You believe otherwise because in this matter you have abandoned your reason and critical thinking skills.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  That's true. I was very glad to find my experience wasn't uncommon. It was a great comfort to me to find stories of people who saw and felt all of the same things.
For every story that is the same as yours there are many that are not. The biggest red flag for you that your thinking is flawed should be that these experiences happen in every country on Earth and in nearly every case the content of those experiences is dependent on culture and other relevant factors.

Why do Hindus not feel the god of the Bible? If the source for these experiences is the god of the Bible shouldn't EVERYONE see and feel the same thing?

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  There are other explanations, of course. There always are with these things. I just believe otherwise.
Based on no investigation, no evidence, and based solely on your personal "feelings". This is a conclusion that is irrational and more over dismissing other, more rational, explanations because you just believe they are wrong is frankly lazy and dishonest. To yourself and others.

(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I don’t know how to respond to this since I feel I’m being mocked.
You claimed to be a critical thinker in the same post where you drew forth a conclusion from an experience that required you to suspend your critical thinking as said conclusion is literally the least plausible explanation one could draw.

I can't say if he was mocking you or not but if he was it's not entirely unwarranted if I'm being honest.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 11 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
29-12-2016, 11:09 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Hello, everyone. My name is Kathryn and I am full of shit.

We know.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
29-12-2016, 11:22 PM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Hello, everyone. My name is Kathryn

Hello! Big Grin

Thumbsup
29-12-2016, 11:41 PM
(29-12-2016 07:36 PM)Banjo Wrote:  PeacefulHeart.

Shithouse username as well.

You know, it really fucking is. I hate that condescending "I've found peace" bullshit from Christians. Especially when you look into it and find out their family lives are totally fucked and when it comes down to the nitty gritty their hearts are saturated with cruelty. It may not be any worse than any other social group but they way they pretend to have all the answers really makes you want to put a foot in their asses.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
29-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Hey Kathryn

I see you found a delusion to grab hold of.
After all those years of thinking critically, you had an experience in your brain and somehow the skeptical part of your brain stopped working.

You might want to see a doctor.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
30-12-2016, 01:48 AM
(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  After my whole experience, I really don't know what I feel about evolution.

Seeing the "god" that fits culture of people around you made you doubt years of testing the theory? You sure are critical thinker.

Quote:I believe the Bible is true and is the word of God.

I don't. How can you convince me otherwise. Or how can you show that Bible is word of god not Edda?

Quote:I also don't think that science invalidates the Bible.

Creating man from dirt sure sound scientific. I guess it is metaphor, right? Rolleyes

Quote:I wish I knew what to say. Forgive me, I just don't feel this is a genuine question.

Typical. Question highlights absurdity of your alleged experience so it don't feel genuine.

Quote:I can't make anyone believe it. I think coming to God, in a lot of ways, requires putting a lot of arguments and desire for scientific evidence aside.

Yes. It is called dumbing oneself down. You can't "find a god" when you looking for evidence so you just go with your feels and yearning for invisible daddy that helps you when life is tough. Childish thing to do.

Quote:I don’t know how to respond to this since I feel I’m being mocked.

It is you who are mocking real critical thinkers when you call yourself one. I saw light therefore god isn't sign of being skeptical I would say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
30-12-2016, 02:44 AM
Quote:Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light. It was so pure, clean, and white. It was just glorious and I felt so much truth coming from the Light. Words fail to describe the beauty of what I saw and it was the most beautiful, profound experience of my life. I felt this amazing, amazing peace in my heart as well as forgiveness, love, purity, beauty, kindness. I knew God was this infinite Love and that He was the source of all love in ourselves and in the world. I could see how He stretched on for all eternity and was so much greater than the universe and that He created the universe. Immediately, part of the Bible verse Revelation 1:8 came to mind: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Anyway, after it happened, I fell to the floor and cried so much. It was the first time I ever felt I was lost without God. I knew how wrong I had been about the God of the Bible. I knew there is nothing bad about God and that He is pure and does everything for an ultimate good.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have been waiting for such a post for a long time, but now i can reveal it. I had an experience as well. It is unbelievable, but what you described is exactly what happened to me. I felt exactly like you. The light, the truth, the glory, forgiveness, love, purity, beauty, kindness, etc. pp, i felt the very same.
However i knew (i am 100% sure!) the god who revealed itself ot me was the god of the Quran. I wont hesitate to go even further, he promised me some virgins if i become a martyr for, lets say, blowing up myself along with some infidels.

I still love learning, science, and education too. I’m still pretty liberal (everybody in here can confirm this). I still think I’m a critical thinker too. I have been part of taking apart quite a few so called christians who came here to proselytize.

However it looks like my revelation is absolutely incompatible with yours, although we both felt exactly the same. I actually think your revelation was just Shaitan trying to deceive you.

Probably there is a solution to this problem, since we are both critical thinkers still? What do you suggest we critical thinkers should do now?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
30-12-2016, 05:00 AM
What a big bunch of meanyheads. I don't even know why I come here. You guys are so mean. Sadcryface2

Welcome to the forum, new person.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-12-2016, 05:08 AM
At work.

(30-12-2016 05:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What a big bunch of meanyheads. I don't even know why I come here. You guys are so mean. Sadcryface2

Welcome to the forum, new person.

But, but.... I was nice....

Sadcryface
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post