An Atheist who Found God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: An Atheist who Found God
Wow. Personal experience is our first level of knowing anything. The common witness of others is the conformation that personal experience is real. The expert witness of others is our next level of knowing - trusting the experts. Then there is our own ability to be rational - use reason - logical deduction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2016, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 12:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-12-2016 05:44 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  I think coming to God, in a lot of ways, requires putting a lot of arguments and desire for scientific evidence aside.

That has nothing to do with why Christianity is invalid and dismissed as nonsense.
It's invalid as it's totally based on false concepts and claimed as "Biblical".

Did you actually look into Comparative Mythology or World Religions or study anything before you landed on "Oh, this must be the Christian God" ?
Why did you choose the Christian God and not some other god ? Was that the only god you knew about, and how did you go about critically deciding it WAS the Christian god, and dismiss the other gods ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Welcome.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-12-2016, 10:53 AM
(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  There are tons of videos on YouTube of people who’ve seen God,

(30-12-2016 08:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Buncha big meanie poopyheads! She probably ain't never coming back everz. Sadcryface

I'm tempted to go all Job on her to show her what seeing God really means. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Peacefulheart,

How is your personal experience suppose to convice anyone? Uncaused existence needs no god. Never has.
30-12-2016, 11:52 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

(29-12-2016 01:25 PM)PeacefulHeart Wrote:  Hello, everyone. My name is Kathryn and I was an atheist for, at least, 15 years. Very recently, I became a Christian. I’ll get into that in a bit. First, I want to provide some background.

Thank you for your detailed introduction. I don't harbour any particular dislike of Christians (or theists in general) and I note that many contemporary scientists believe(d) in the bible and the existence of God: John Polkinghorne, Francis Collins, Brian Heap, John Hartnett, Georges Lemaître, John Eccles, Alan Sandage, Max Planck, John Boyd Orr, Robert Millikan, et al. I don't hold with some extremist atheists' viewpoint that theists are of necessity mentally dysfunctional or willfully ignorant.

Quote:Then, on my birthday of this year, something completely unexpected happened to me. I had a vision, and I saw the Light of God. I don’t say that figuratively, although I understand if you wouldn’t believe me. I saw God’s Light.

Whilst I accept that you believed, at the time, that you had seen the "light of God", I can only assume it was a temporary visual aberration of some kind, or even a minor neurological malfunction. Us humans are apt to construct a "story" around apparently inexplicable things we think we see, and the tendency is for those stories to increase in detail logarithmically over time. I'd guess that at that time—prompted by your despair with your then-current life—you were over-receptive to the restorative notion of religion plus the potential deliverance by the Abrahamic god. Why did you not see Allah, Krishna, Wakan Tanka, or Djanggawul?

Quote:I knew how wrong I had been about the God of the Bible. I knew there is nothing bad about God and that He is pure and does everything for an ultimate good.

One could ask why your god allows the deaths of 16,000 under-five children in sub-Saharan Africa every day—from preventable illnesses such as pneumonia, dehydration, malnutrition, diarrhoea, and malaria. How can you, personally, justify that from the perspective of a purportedly omnibenevolent entity? Why does your god favour you with compassion and care, but let all those little kids die a painful death?

Quote:[P]eople with near death experiences who’ve died and went to Heaven, and people who were miraculously healed by God.

There is no such thing as people who've gone to heaven—there's simply no empirical evidence to support this, regardless of what they claim to have done or where they've been. I suggest you read this article from Scientific American. I'd also ask you to cite any accredited clinical cases whereby people were actually healed form a disease or illness that couldn't be successfully treated by conventional medicine. And please note that personal YouTube videos, when utilised as so-called evidence, are of very little value empirically.

—Anyway, will look forward to your responses.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 7 users Like SYZ's post
30-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Most theists I've encountered are most definitely wilfully ignorant, especially fundamentalists, Imo you have to have a significant degree of cognitive dissonance to swallow the stories of talking snakes and donkeys and the more scientifically aware the christian the greater the degree of willful ignorance required to prop up their beliefs, or rather what they want to believe. I do however agree that it is unfair and inaccurate to label them as mentally dysfunctional
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
30-12-2016, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 12:58 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(30-12-2016 12:13 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Most theists I've encountered are most definitely wilfully ignorant, especially fundamentalists, Imo you have to have a significant degree of cognitive dissonance to swallow the stories of talking snakes and donkeys and the more scientifically aware the christian the greater the degree of willful ignorance required to prop up their beliefs, or rather what they want to believe. I do however agree that it is unfair and inaccurate to label them as mentally dysfunctional

I have seen versions of this "I used to be an angry atheist" story appearing with more frequency, recently. It seems to be the latest Liars For Jesus™ Club push, using the favorite tactic of Personal Testimony™, even if it has to be fabricated.

While I'm sure there are atheists who are angry at all things religious out there, it has not been my experience by a wide margin that this is the case, with almost every atheist I've ever known in over 20 years of being an atheist. What we're typically angry about is religious intrusion into secular society/government, which we're quite right to be and which is an attitude shared by thinking Christians who recognize the danger of such antidisestablishment entanglements. The only people who mistake that sort of anger for "angry at god"-type anger are fundamentalists who don't recognize the [edit: "wall of separation"] line in the sand.

They think that by coming here to say "I was an angry atheist just like you guys until I found Jesus", it will evoke sympathy among people who think as they believe we think, and win converts... therefore it is acceptable to lie, for a "good cause".

So when we see the "I was an angry atheist" tagline, it's a pretty fair bet that you're witnessing Pious Fraud in action... or as I call it, Lying For Jesus™.

Edit to Add: We also get angry when we're demonstrably being lied to, because they think it's okay to lie to atheists.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Place your bets here ----

This driveby post will be necroposted in 2020.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-12-2016, 01:15 PM
(30-12-2016 12:52 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(30-12-2016 12:13 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Most theists I've encountered are most definitely wilfully ignorant, especially fundamentalists, Imo you have to have a significant degree of cognitive dissonance to swallow the stories of talking snakes and donkeys and the more scientifically aware the christian the greater the degree of willful ignorance required to prop up their beliefs, or rather what they want to believe. I do however agree that it is unfair and inaccurate to label them as mentally dysfunctional

I have seen versions of this "I used to be an angry atheist" story appearing with more frequency, recently. It seems to be the latest Liars For Jesus™ Club push, using the favorite tactic of Personal Testimony™, even if it has to be fabricated.

While I'm sure there are atheists who are angry at all things religious out there, it has not been my experience by a wide margin that this is the case, with almost every atheist I've ever known in over 20 years of being an atheist. What we're typically angry about is religious intrusion into secular society/government, which we're quite right to be and which is an attitude shared by thinking Christians who recognize the danger of such antidisestablishment entanglements. The only people who mistake that sort of anger for "angry at god"-type anger are fundamentalists who don't recognize the [edit: "wall of separation"] line in the sand.

They think that by coming here to say "I was an angry atheist just like you guys until I found Jesus", it will evoke sympathy among people who think as they believe we think, and win converts... therefore it is acceptable to lie, for a "good cause".

So when we see the "I was an angry atheist" tagline, it's a pretty fair bet that you're witnessing Pious Fraud in action... or as I call it, Lying For Jesus™.

Edit to Add: We also get angry when we're demonstrably being lied to, because they think it's okay to lie to atheists.

Thanks for that Rocket its great to be open to interpretation and understandingSmile
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post