An Athiest/Buddhist says Hi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2010, 03:15 PM
An Athiest/Buddhist says Hi
I was born as an Lutheran by my parents. Very Christian until my middle school days when I love studying science. During those years I wanted to be a Paleontologist. I had a huge fascination with Dinosaurs like most kids do. Over the years I go to church less. I found it really boring. Yeah over time I do go back few times a year because I loved the community part of the church, but the religious part of it.

I don't want to type my entire bio, but get too the point of officially becoming Atheist.

2010 has become the lost point of my life as of now. I lost my job, my apartment, and almost everything I worked for since leaving college. I was taught that God was a loving being. If he loved us soo much why did god made my mother almost die. Why does he let people to become poor and treated like trash?

Also what turned me away is the zealous Christianity that America has become. Our schools have been taking over by Christians who believe creationism should be taught as an science. Why do Christians and other religions tell me how to live? I never tell them how to live.

How did I become a Buddhist? I believe that some should have moral ideals. Also I loved the philosophical part of Buddhism. The Buddha was a philosopher and not a holy man. He was a normal human being who became enlightened.

I don't believe there is good and evil. There is always a middle. I do believe that suffering is ever where and it needs to be removed. This is why I support the four noble truths.

1. The truth of suffering (dukkha)
2. The truth of the cause of suffering (samudaya)
3. The truth of the end of suffering (nirhodha)
4. The truth of the path that frees us from suffering (magga)

Also note that Buddhism and Science don't fight each other. Buddha taught that we are suppose to question the Dharma and nature. The role of the scientist is part of that role. If science prove something that contradicts Buddhism. Buddhism should accept it because it is fact.

Also I am trying to practice mediation. I am not a expert of mediation, but the little bit I do does help my stress.

If you notice my username and avatar. You can know what is my favorite Sci-fi show is. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 03:20 PM
RE: An Athiest/Buddhist says Hi
Welcome to TTAF, The Doctor! I confess that I know very little about Buddhism, but Lord of Light was a fantastic book. If you haven't read it, go pick it up at your local library. It's a sci-fi novel, set on a far-future world where the ruling class has taken up the image of the Hindu pantheon. One man leads a rebellion against them by taking up the image of the Buddha. I think you'd enjoy it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2010, 03:33 PM
(29-11-2010 03:20 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Welcome to TTAF, The Doctor! I confess that I know very little about Buddhism, but Lord of Light was a fantastic book. If you haven't read it, go pick it up at your local library. It's a sci-fi novel, set on a far-future world where the ruling class has taken up the image of the Hindu pantheon. One man leads a rebellion against them by taking up the image of the Buddha. I think you'd enjoy it.

Thank you. I add that book too my big reading suggestion book list.

Well I not an expert enough to consider my self a teacher, but I can help what I can to give others an understanding of Buddhism.

Please note I do not do proselytism. If you question I will answer.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
29-11-2010, 04:36 PM

[Image: 4613816.jpg]

[Image: 2.gif] Welcome to the forum.
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Know what interesting about me. I live with my in-laws until I can find a full time job to move out.

I am married too a creationist and I am an in-law with creationists. Tongue

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
29-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey GassyKitten (and sorry, The Doc, for the derail!), you might like this one for your sig:

[Image: 6752831v1_480x480_Front.jpg]

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
29-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I suggest using the original
[Image: 343p_0c_1b.jpg]:

29-11-2010, 07:11 PM
The "only" irks me, which is why I posted the above version. No serious gamer says "only takes half damage". But I do like the picture.

29-11-2010, 07:13 PM
(29-11-2010 07:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  The "only" irks me, which is why I posted the above version. No serious gamer says "only takes half damage". But I do like the picture.

True, but the picture with Jesus is worth it.

29-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Totally. And everyone knows that Jesus' "Sandals of Divinity" have a +50 Spirit buff, and when worn with the rest of the Holy Gear set, his Staff of Righteousness grants 50% reduced casting time of Resurrection.

Wait... what?

[Image: jesusrespawnun5.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."