An Email forward I received...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2011, 02:52 PM
RE: An Email forward I received...
(15-09-2011 01:47 PM)kim Wrote:  This was obviously written to make the Atheist Philosophy Professor look like and feel like a dunce, while showing off the simple, Christian boy as the bringer of the beautiful truth. Angel

Yup. Exactly. It perfectly reflects the American religious right's view of higher secular education: atheistic evolution-touting professors pushing their godless philosophy down the throats of bright-eyed believing students, doing their best to corrupt them. But sometimes a smart young Christian or Jew bravely takes on the "old man" and shows him to be a fool. Praise the Lord! (And even better, send your kids to Liberty or Regent or BYU or the Bible Institute of Los Angeles to make sure they're sheltered from any points of view that could undermine their faith.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
15-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I used to see something similar to this on my grandma's fridge... I actually think someone posted a copy of it here on TTA.

It was about chalk and god and something about that... these types of things never feature women... hmm.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
15-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I think someone should rewrite this story replacing the crap with some of the realistic arguments so many of you have expounded upon and corrected here, eliminate the fluff, put it in an email and hit the "reply to all" button.

I just might! Sometimes it really is important to reply to ignorance. These brainless xtians just keep massaging each other with this kind of illogical BS and there are no challenges to their stupidity.

Nice thread...

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
16-09-2011, 03:58 AM
I am amazed how well this was written. Until the part about evolution came and then all of the arguments were sinked, because we do have evidence about evolution. But I would agree with those explaining of light-dark, heat-cold, that was good. Interesting, this is the first time I was intrigued by something written by Creationist, at least for a part of the story.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-09-2011, 05:46 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2011 05:57 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this or not, but the student actually backs himself into a corner by talking about the supposed invalidity of the professor's views on duality. If the student agrees that dark is the absence of light and cold is the absence of heat, he has to concede that evil--real evil like murder, rape, war crimes, J-walking, etc.--is the absence of God. He doesn't believe in the duality of a God that is both good and evil, so this means that his God can't be present where evil is happening. And if his God cannot be present around evil, the deity is not omnipresent. And if God can't be omnipresent, he is not omnipotent.

I have a hard time believing a scenario like this would ever take place. A philosophy professor would literally "school" a student. The student wouldn't just "sit down (in defeat)," they would fall back because their brain exploded!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2011, 06:41 AM
He uses examples of measurement to identify heat and light; to give an example of an entity that can not be measured as such.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
17-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Well.. seeing how us 'regular' folks have picked it apart rather quickly I bet a real philosophy professor would

1. Not start a vicious dialogue about the idiocy of believing in god, especially on the first day.

2. If a philosophy professor was to do so, I'm pretty sure since he is old already heard every argument under the sun about this bullshit. Some little farm boy from Iowa is probably not going to have anything new.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
17-09-2011, 10:23 AM
(15-09-2011 08:16 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  If evil is the absence of god, then god cannot be omniscient.

I thought I was clever when I came up with this, but I got beaten to the punch. Oh well.

It should be obvious that the student's deduction came from playing with definitions. If you define horses as "any animal with 4 legs", then you can demonstrate evidence that horses play fetch or that horses are often housed in aquariums. If you screw around with the starting assumptions, you can make anything true.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
18-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I'd love to see some Christian try an argument as weak as that against someone like AaronA. No evidence of evolution? It's never been observed? Until I read that part, I thought that the story was written by a Christian with some understanding of science. Boy, was I wrong. Of course I'm sure many thousands of uneducated Christians pass this story around with glee that they've finally got one over on those dumb atheists, sort of like the way ppsimmons thinks he has inarguable proof the Earth is young because "rocks can't bend over long periods of time." As in that case, had the writer of this crap taken a mere fifteen minutes to research some of his suppositions he would have discovered that he was completely fucking wrong.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes hotrodmike's post