An Emotional Disconnection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
RE: An Emotional Disconnection
(07-11-2012 08:46 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  My feelings toward God have shifted to become something bitter and disconnected.
Why is that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 11:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-11-2012 07:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  You have lost something that was important enough to occupy much of your life, god, and your husband to boot.

That is grief, plain and simple, and perfectly natural. Google the phases of grief and just be aware that they are not going to happen in any specific sequence.

You'll be ok, this is a physical condition and you are not going nuts.

Just start taking care of yourself and looking for ways to fill the gaps that have been torn in your life. You have some gaping holes to fill. Don't fill them with liquor. It makes the experience worse when not intoxicated and harder to climb out of.

Start watching yourself and noting exactly which events trigger your unhappiness. Then you will start to understand and be able to eliminate triggers...

Don't be a punching ball for hormonally triggered emotions, take control, you can do it!
Dom has pretty much nailed this. The drinking MUST stop. You could do something you regret, if you're drunk. (Dom, Ideas is the husband, not the wife ). The "trigger" thing is 110 % correct., You can train your brain. Sit down, and start thinking about what you want for your future. Start seeing yourself on the other side of the mess. A lot of what is going on, is just "chemical reactions", (Cortisol levels) to grief. That will subside. It's called "habituation". Google it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
It would be great if you had a friend that you didn't view as a potential mate to talk things out with. I'm not saying forget the girl, that's up to you, but if you are still trying to salvage things with your wife it's going to make things more difficult later. If you'd like I can chat too, but my skills are inline with that of DLJ's.

08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
You'll be in my thoughts, ideasonscribe. I don't feel there is much that I can do other than just support you.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I hope things look better for you today.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-11-2012, 03:50 PM
ideasonscribe- Many of us understand the mental struggle you are facing....
We are here to help- you're not alone.

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Until you can stop the alcohol you may not regain control, nor can you be certain whether what you're going through is genuinely caused by your situation or whether it's just the alcohol.

Until you remove alcohol from the equation, you cannot solve for x. OK, that's probably not funny. But the stuff above still stands.

My mother found a great deal of support and lots of people to listen to her about everything that was happening in her life when she joined AA. She still swears that without them she wouldn't have been able to get her life back in order. But, as I understand it, they are still a pretty religious group. My mom's been sober for 32 years now and still going strong.

Anyone know of secular alternatives to AA? Is there a secular arm of AA?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
*Hugs*

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.