An Encounter with Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2016, 10:43 AM
An Encounter with Mormons
So I was minding my own business in a shopping centre. My wife had disappeared into a store about half an hour earlier and being the sort of bloke that I am (I hate shopping) I had wandered off and was observing the comings and goings of the mass of humanity in a medium sized English town centre.

I spotted a small group of young people animatedly chatting to each other some way off. They looked like they might be mormons given that the lads were wearing white shirts and ties and they had name-badges.

Sure as eggs is eggs, as soon as the group broke up a couple made a bee-line in my direction.

"Here we go......" I groaned. I really didn't want to waste 10 minutes of my life hearing about how wonderful life would be for me in the LDS.

Long story short..........after asking me if I knew that the love of Jebus could make all things possible and then finding out that I was an atheist I ended up asking them why they were Mormons and got the not unexpected answer that it was because they had been raised Mormon.

So I then pointed out that people invariably believe in the God their parents tell them to believe in and that this is influenced by the country or region they're brought up in. I then asked that if they were born in Saudi Arabia what religion they would be.

That puzzled them.............then one of them said he'd probably be an atheist. Not a muslim. No........he actually said he'd be an atheist.

The mental somersaults that some people will do when faced with reason and logic that conflicts with belief is mighty strange.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Silly Deity's post
04-07-2016, 11:14 AM
RE: An Encounter with Mormons
i had the same conversation with my boss, who is a christian. i asked her why she thinks her religion is the true religion. she said because she was raised that way. uhhh...
04-07-2016, 11:33 AM
There is a Jehovah Witness couple that drops by every few weeks. They know I don't believe in God. But they always drop their Watch Tower magazines, which I find handy for the flooring of my parakeet cage.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 8 users Like tomilay's post
04-07-2016, 12:27 PM
(04-07-2016 10:43 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  So I was minding my own business in a shopping centre. My wife had disappeared into a store about half an hour earlier and being the sort of bloke that I am (I hate shopping) I had wandered off and was observing the comings and goings of the mass of humanity in a medium sized English town centre.

I spotted a small group of young people animatedly chatting to each other some way off. They looked like they might be mormons given that the lads were wearing white shirts and ties and they had name-badges.

Sure as eggs is eggs, as soon as the group broke up a couple made a bee-line in my direction.

"Here we go......" I groaned. I really didn't want to waste 10 minutes of my life hearing about how wonderful life would be for me in the LDS.

Long story short..........after asking me if I knew that the love of Jebus could make all things possible and then finding out that I was an atheist I ended up asking them why they were Mormons and got the not unexpected answer that it was because they had been raised Mormon.

So I then pointed out that people invariably believe in the God their parents tell them to believe in and that this is influenced by the country or region they're brought up in. I then asked that if they were born in Saudi Arabia what religion they would be.

That puzzled them.............then one of them said he'd probably be an atheist. Not a muslim. No........he actually said he'd be an atheist.

The mental somersaults that some people will do when faced with reason and logic that conflicts with belief is mighty strange.

I've developed a "no prisoners" attitude when dealing with those folks that step foot on my property to evangelize... In public - I've dialed it down a notch -- but not too much....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-07-2016, 01:35 PM
I find it funny that Mormon missionaries that have been secluded to their homes and church and only know what they've been taught in those places, never to question what they are taught, think at 19 (they might have lowered the age to 18 now) they have the authority to tell you everything about life and how you should live.

I'm glad I didn't last long enough to go on my mission.
[+] 4 users Like OceanTherapist's post
05-07-2016, 02:18 PM
I get a great deal of Baptist's that come to my door, I just don't waist my time opening the door. I've seen Mormon's doing their missions in my complex but they've only ever come to my door once. Not that i'm complaining.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I would have found the hot one and asked if I could have a soaking lesson with her. That would have really sent them into a tailspin.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
08-07-2016, 04:47 AM
I told them I'd listen to their message on two conditions:
  1. I get equal time.
  2. I go first.

No.No

Sapere aude
08-07-2016, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016 05:19 AM by pablo.)
They came by here about a year ago, the cable guy was here at the time installing a new dvr. I told them I'm an atheist but they could come back if they wanted.
Still waiting.
ETA: Now that I think about it, they may have been J-Dubs.
08-07-2016, 05:45 AM
(04-07-2016 10:43 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  So I was minding my own business in a shopping centre. My wife had disappeared into a store about half an hour earlier and being the sort of bloke that I am (I hate shopping) I had wandered off and was observing the comings and goings of the mass of humanity in a medium sized English town centre.

I heard an anecdote on a podcast about Christians complaining that a lot of Mormons; when they deconvert, tend to reject all religions and become atheists.

If you are in a religion that emphasizes how all other religions are corrupted, then I could see why that would happen.

I can only give my initial impression that fundamentalist branches would tend to have higher deconversion rates than the less radical branches because you have to believe more absurdities to sustain it rather than wave the cognitive dissonance away with treating your religious book as metaphorical.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post