Poll: What is the most ethical answer to each question?
1 - A, 2 - A (see below)
1 - A, 2 - B (see below)
1 - B, 2 - A (see below)
1 - B, 2 - B (see below)
[Show Results]

An Ethical Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2012, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 11:22 AM by ahoy.)
RE: An Ethical Dilemma
(17-06-2012 09:55 AM)kim Wrote:  Since I decided both answers to be a somewhat distressing no, I wonder about ethical dilemma scenarios. Do they really prove something or are they as loaded as they feel?

I think it is useful as some profession face such dilemmas, such as doctors in war torn areas: they have limited time, limited resources: who to give attention to?

Or to a captain of a shinking ship... women and children first...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ahoy's post
17-06-2012, 11:22 AM
(17-06-2012 08:14 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  There are only shit options, and while you say there's "no right or wrong answer", I'm inferring from your attitude that there are wrong answers, and that would include every answer. I'm inclined to agree. They are no-win scenarios, but based on game theory, we should at least minimize the loss.
If you'll bear with me: I think of it as an actual situation. Not hypothetical. Something which I can imagine happening. It sounds far out, but I can imagine there are some times in life when one has to choose between two options each of which carries an unacceptable cost. To say that both choices are wrong... I wouldn't say that. But once the choice is made no one can say that you made the right *or* the wrong choice. You simply chose what seemed best to you. Kinda Schrodinger's ethical cat problem Tongue

And you can say "based on game theory"... but game theory is a model. In the real world maybe the girl in the single room by herself is your lover whom you would die for... game theory goes out the window Smile
17-06-2012, 11:48 AM
A mofo vote A, a mofo wrong. Tongue

Of course, this is a "cold blooded" situation. If shit were crucial, there's no telling what would happen.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I also think it depends on who it is.

Since I am now judge over life and death, I might as well judge based on my own principles.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-06-2012, 01:36 PM
The most interesting aspect of these questions, and the actual point of them, was to see how people of different sexes, ages, religions, and cultures answered them. They generally agree on the answers.

Basic ethical views are quite constant across humanity. Our ethical compass appears to have an evolutionary basis - religion is like waving a magnet over it and screwing it up. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-06-2012, 01:42 PM
(17-06-2012 11:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  In the real world maybe the girl in the single room by herself is your lover whom you would die for... game theory goes out the window Smile

It could also be Hitler, but who is irrelevant.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-06-2012, 02:14 PM
(17-06-2012 01:42 PM)kim Wrote:  
(17-06-2012 11:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  In the real world maybe the girl in the single room by herself is your lover whom you would die for... game theory goes out the window Smile
It could also be Hitler, but who is irrelevant.
Snot irrelevant Angry . It's what's gonna influence you to make your decision. IRL it's never clean like that. I suppose you can make it that I don't know who the people in the boxes are... maybe that was in the original spec, if so I missed it. But still... right and wrong do not apply IMO. You can't condemn the guy holding the lever for either course of action. He might as well not be there, in terms of attaching blame. You could look at it like that the lever is replaced with a faulty switch which is randomly on or off - when the gas is released, depending on its position, either 1 or 5 die. But there's no point to get angry with the switch...