An European perspective

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 04:45 PM
RE: An European perspective
(09-12-2012 03:37 PM)European Atheist Wrote:  Thanks for brigning better information than i had Arctic_Guy. I was indeed taught that cristianity came from Sweden in the 12th century. However i didn't mean there was a "swedish crusade" or that the Lalli story is true. What i ment was that finnish sympathy is clearly with Lalli who brutally murdered the bishop. In the story.
No problem, and this is relatively new info for myself as well, having gone through the same education. I also didn't mean to criticize you, rather it is the stories that we were taught and the way they are passed on that I am disappointed in. And yes, I agree with what you said about the Lalli legend.

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 02:59 PM by European Atheist.)
Today i read an article about religion teaching in Finland. Apparently we moved away from confessional religion education only 10 years ago. Thats why in my early school ears i felt the line between reality and fiction was unclear, they were teaching the stuff as TRUTH. I was stunned by this, how could something like this happen in my country so short time ago.

PS. Suddenly i feel like Finland owns me something.

To quote a famous film "SAATANA mä oon Eero sulle sanonu, kukaan teistä ei käy koulussa ennen ku valtio maksaa mulle velkansa".
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
(10-12-2012 02:50 PM)European Atheist Wrote:  Today i read an article about religion teaching in Finland. Apparently we moved away from confessional religion education only 10 years ago. Thats why in my early school ears i felt the line between reality and fiction was unclear, they were teaching the stuff as TRUTH. I was stunned by this, how could something like this happen in my country so short time ago.

PS. Suddenly i feel like Finland owns me something.

To quote a famous film "SAATANA mä oon Eero sulle sanonu, kukaan teistä ei käy koulussa ennen ku valtio maksaa mulle velkansa".
And to our non-Finnish readers: "Saatana (=Satan, here used as a curse or a cuss for emphasis), I've told you Eero, none of you go to school until the state has paid back what it owes me". Or something along those lines. It's from the movie "Pahat pojat" (Bad Boys).

And it's interesting, because from what I remember they didn't exactly come across to me as if they were telling true fact (well, sure the treks of the apostles, though I remember raising an eyebrow with the story about Peter and his companion escaping prison because "god" caused an earthquake to crack open their cell), but instead on the note of "believe if you want, or not". And I passed 9th grade in 2004. Then again, I don't think I would have noticed the difference if we had suddenly changed to copies of Tales by Brothers Grimm... Drinking Beverage

And I was the kid that went to these "Hyrskyn myrsky" and what not camps, where there was some bible reading, if not study. Mostly I remember playing Risk, though. Consider And yes, they were directed at young kids, but mostly they were just people having fun, with occasional bouts of boredom when the adults would read to us these stories.,,,

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume