An Illogical God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 10:22 AM
RE: An Illogical God?
(09-03-2015 10:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 10:10 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Does it make more sense for God to be in the quantum world instead of the physical world?

The first thing you need to do is define this god you speak of. What are its attributes? If you don’t know what they are then how can we even begin to discuss it?

I try to think of a God that makes sense. The New Age God or a God that lets you make decisions and learn at your own pace makes more sense than the other religions. I am agnostic either way. I don't know whether to believe that God exists or doesn't exist. I mean if the thought of God doesn't make you happy then why even be bothered with that kind of God. Find a God that you can put up with and if he does exist then great.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I mean if the thought of God doesn't make you happy then why even be bothered with that kind of God. Find a God that you can put up with and if he does exist then great.

WTF? Shocking

Facepalm

How about if the thought of god doesn't make you happy, be glad to know they're all invented by people and is more likely NOT to exist at all.

Instead of going with the idea -- "I"m agnostic but god exists somewhere".

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-03-2015, 10:28 AM
I suggest you watch this lecture by Neil deGrasse Tyson, In defence of the Big Bang

Below is a quote (I'm not sure it's literally the same, but Neil says the same things in the video):

"Scientific evidence in support of a theory sometimes takes you places where your senses have never been. Common sense is that human ability to assess a situation you have never seen before by invoking life experiences derived from your five senses. But twentieth-century science has largely been built upon data that was, and continues to be, collected with all manner of tools that enable us to see the universe in decidedly uncommon ways. As a consequence, while we have always required that a theory make mathematical sense, we no longer require that a theory make common sense. We simply demand that it be consistent with the results of observations and experiments. This posture has enabled profound, yet remarkably counterintuitive branches of physics, such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and big bang cosmology to arise."

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
(09-03-2015 10:19 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  How is the quantum world not the physical world? Consider

So the quantum world is materialistic? I'm sorry, I don't know much about quantum mechanics, but I really want to learn more. Kind of busy right now.

So, why did you bring it up in your OP?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I mean if the thought of God doesn't make you happy then why even be bothered with that kind of God. Find a God that you can put up with and if he does exist then great.

This line of reasoning made me think of this:

[Image: SBQ-Build-it-they-will-come.jpg]

I'd love to conjure up a goddess made of fuzzy bunnies and pink clouds that sends happy vibes and orgasms (hmm that may be redundant) my way, but it ain't gonna happen.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-03-2015, 11:23 AM
(09-03-2015 10:18 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 10:10 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Does it make more sense for God to be in the quantum world instead of the physical world?

No because quantum theory, for all of its seemingly illogical processes, only seeks to explain the natural world and the infinite possibilities and solutions suggested by it.
Any god is by definition supernatural, and only offers one possible solution

What is God let you do everything the way you wanted? Then there could be infinite possibilities. BTW, I am agnostic. I don't know either way.
09-03-2015, 11:25 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 09:32 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I see a lot of atheists showing how illogical God is, but what if God is illogical? Quantum mechanics, which someone might call God of the Gaps is illogical. So couldn't an illogical God exist if quantum mechanics is illogical?

If an illogical god exists, then any book that claims that it describes it, would almost certainly be wrong.

Is it possibly for the human mind to comprehend something illogical?
09-03-2015, 11:26 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Find a God that you can put up with and if he does exist then great.

That makes no sense at all to me. Why do you have a need to find a god at all? Are you just looking to make up something you find comforting whether it is true or not? I couldn't live like that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-03-2015, 11:33 AM
(09-03-2015 10:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

WTF? Shocking

Facepalm

How about if the thought of god doesn't make you happy, be glad to know they're all invented by people and is more likely NOT to exist at all.

Instead of going with the idea -- "I"m agnostic but god exists somewhere".

What I mean is that if a horrible God does exist I would rather be a rebel, but if he is a God that I could get along with 100% then I could accept that. Otherwise, I would rather do what I want.
09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I try to think of a God that makes sense. The New Age God or a God that lets you make decisions and learn at your own pace makes more sense than the other religions. I am agnostic either way. I don't know whether to believe that God exists or doesn't exist. I mean if the thought of God doesn't make you happy then why even be bothered with that kind of God. Find a God that you can put up with and if he does exist then great.

It sounds like you're starting with wanting there to be a god and therefore looking for the god that suits you best. Frankly, that's really odd.

It makes far more sense to me to look at what is and then see if there is anything that exists among what is that would be deserving of the label "god". That requires a working definition of "god". Offhand, a being that doesn't make sense doesn't seem like much of a "god" to me.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post