An Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 08:01 PM
An Introduction
Ok so i guess I should just dive right in. My name is Hunter and I am 19. This is literally the first forum i have ever registered to and I'm afraid I am very unexperienced with anything like this so if I make mistakes forgive me. I have been an atheist for approximately four years. I was raised in a moderately religious background... at first. Around the time I de-converted my mother went through what I can only classify as a resurgence of her faith and conviction and she became very fundamentalist in her mannerisms. It was so severe that if I had come out as an atheist at the time I would have been out on my ass. I was eventually kicked out for not going to wednesday service by the way. So when i finally let her know my position i had to call myself a non-theist for obvious reasons. But to wrap this up I will say that i do have a home and I am looking for some people to connect with because it is very difficult to do so in my town. That's all i have to say for now.

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwelfthHunter's post
08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
RE: An Introduction
Welcome hunter. Dive right in, and don't mind the baby bones in the corner.

Just visiting.

-SR
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
(08-10-2012 08:01 PM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Ok so i guess I should just dive right in. My name is Hunter and I am 19. This is literally the first forum i have ever registered to and I'm afraid I am very unexperienced with anything like this so if I make mistakes forgive me. I have been an atheist for approximately four years. I was raised in a moderately religious background... at first. Around the time I de-converted my mother went through what I can only classify as a resurgence of her faith and conviction and she became very fundamentalist in her mannerisms. It was so severe that if I had come out as an atheist at the time I would have been out on my ass. I was eventually kicked out for not going to wednesday service by the way. So when i finally let her know my position i had to call myself a non-theist for obvious reasons. But to wrap this up I will say that i do have a home and I am looking for some people to connect with because it is very difficult to do so in my town. That's all i have to say for now.

Welcome. Do you have your own place, or still with mom?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Hello and Hidey-Ho, neighbor!

Not that being kicked out is a great thing, and I'm glad to hear you've landed on your feet, but I can't think of a better reason for being kicked out than skipping church service. I myself had a similar experience with my own mother who suddenly decided to get born again and start preaching and proselytizing to my (very young) children against my strict wishes - maybe not quite the same thing but at least I can relate - I could retire rich if I only I had a dollar for every time she told me and my wife how sad she was that we were going to be "Left Behind"...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
(08-10-2012 08:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 08:01 PM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Ok so i guess I should just dive right in. My name is Hunter and I am 19. This is literally the first forum i have ever registered to and I'm afraid I am very unexperienced with anything like this so if I make mistakes forgive me. I have been an atheist for approximately four years. I was raised in a moderately religious background... at first. Around the time I de-converted my mother went through what I can only classify as a resurgence of her faith and conviction and she became very fundamentalist in her mannerisms. It was so severe that if I had come out as an atheist at the time I would have been out on my ass. I was eventually kicked out for not going to wednesday service by the way. So when i finally let her know my position i had to call myself a non-theist for obvious reasons. But to wrap this up I will say that i do have a home and I am looking for some people to connect with because it is very difficult to do so in my town. That's all i have to say for now.

Welcome. Do you have your own place, or still with mom?

I am currently living with my father and working on getting a place of my own. I was lucky that he lives only twenty minutes from my mother. And i am happy to say i still have a good relationship with my mom. Even though we disagree on religion.

08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Yay. Another 19 year old. Welcome.
I don't know what I would do if I had to live in the Bible Belt.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

08-10-2012, 08:59 PM
An Introduction
(08-10-2012 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yay. Another 19 year old. Welcome.

You'd wear suspenders.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the board! Strap yourself in! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-10-2012, 09:03 PM
(08-10-2012 08:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yay. Another 19 year old. Welcome.

You'd wear suspenders.

Or nothing at all

08-10-2012, 09:04 PM
An Introduction
(08-10-2012 09:03 PM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 08:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You'd wear suspenders.

Or nothing at all

Shhhhh. Bucky shouldn't hear suggestions like that. He'll do it all over again. No

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My