An Invitation to Argue the Legitimacy of a God/Gods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 04:27 PM
RE: An Invitation to Argue the Legitimacy of a God/Gods
If its JUST god and not creationism there are two arguments to watch for:

1) the argument from improbability. The universe is so magnificent and so huge, if only the smallest variation had occurred in the past we, and possibly the rest of the universe, would not and could not exist.

2) separate magesterium. God is not of the physical universe, instead is a being of pure consciousness or will. It is this in people which connects them to God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks man. I was thinking of using the logic that disproves his omnipotence, in a way, a variation of "Could God create a boulder so heavy he couldn't lift it?" except with a bit more reason over mere speculation.
26-03-2014, 05:24 PM
(26-03-2014 05:19 PM)TheImperialKnight Wrote:  Thanks man. I was thinking of using the logic that disproves his omnipotence, in a way, a variation of "Could God create a boulder so heavy he couldn't lift it?" except with a bit more reason over mere speculation.
I think you have to be careful of constructing strawmen. It would be very easy for your opponent to state that they don't consider god to be fully Omnipotent. They may accept the limitation that god cannot perform logical absurdities.
26-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I am going to move this thread to the Real life debates section as it is not really a one on one.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-03-2014, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 08:21 PM by Stevil.)
Legitimacy http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...legitimacy
1. Conformity to the law or to rules
2. Ability to be defended with logic or justification; validity

If a god is defined as unobservable and immaterial then gods do not conform to the physical laws of existence. Thus the existence of gods in a material sense is not legitimate.
Are there any known laws regarding immaterial existence for which the legitamacy of existence of an immaterial object can be assessed?

Regarding logic or justification, there is no evidence of the existence of gods thus nothing that logic can draw upon to arrive at this conclusion.

The KCA fails because it is not known if energy is eternal, the law of conservation of energy suggests that it is and thus would not have had a beginning.

The findings of evolutionary biology clearly show how complex organisms have evolved over time without intelligent intervention.

A belief is a belief, if it were substantiated by evidence then it would be fact and as we know most Christians have belief and faith in their god. Though not legitimately justified they choose to believe anyway.
26-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't think this is a debate that is winnable because if Christians used logic and evidence then they wouldn't believe. The best way to prepare is to study all of the arguments that have been made and be able to explain why they don't work. That is all you can do. Good luck and have fun.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
26-03-2014, 10:48 PM
(26-03-2014 12:53 PM)TheImperialKnight Wrote:  It is based on empirical evidence and logic, this Christian school is more logical than most. Also, they aren't allowing the use of experiences because they know that that is bullcrap. I just need some practice to arrange my ideas and prepare myself (I have no problem speaking, but I do need to practice what I'm going to say). And before this is asked, the debate is in the same structure as the Nye-Ham debate.

You better review the two recent Kalam debate threads. There is NO DOUBT they're gonna bring in "well nothing just comes from nothing" as (logical) *evidence*. It is not, but it's not that easy to explain why to everyone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-03-2014, 12:17 PM
When is this going down? When complete can you tell us about it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2014, 12:23 PM
(26-03-2014 12:53 PM)TheImperialKnight Wrote:  It is based on empirical evidence and logic, this Christian school is more logical than most. Also, they aren't allowing the use of experiences because they know that that is bullcrap. I just need some practice to arrange my ideas and prepare myself (I have no problem speaking, but I do need to practice what I'm going to say). And before this is asked, the debate is in the same structure as the Nye-Ham debate.

I can help you out. I'll take the position of the theist and use some common arguments. I know many (religious background). PM if you're interested and we can do it in private or start a thread, I don't care either way.

Atir aissom atir imon
28-03-2014, 03:36 PM
(28-03-2014 12:23 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

I can help you out. I'll take the position of the theist and use some common arguments. I know many (religious background). PM if you're interested and we can do it in private or start a thread, I don't care either way.

Hey, thanks man. And also, this debate is in four weeks, for anybody who wants to know. The theists go first in the debate (because they are doing this more for money rather than egalitarianism).