An NPR article on Obama and his "war" on religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM
An NPR article on Obama and his "war" on religion
Saw this article on NPR this morning via facebook. I do not understand how people can not or do not draw the parallels between discriminating against religious affiliation (or lack thereof) and/or sexual orientation with that of discrimination against skin color or gender.

Person A has this set of 10 rights, Person B has 8 out of 10 of those rights, Person A thinks their rights are being taken away when person B gets the same number of rights as person A. What?

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
09-01-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: An NPR article on Obama and his "war" on religion
Interesting; I liked the part where Mr Staver says these people aren't trying to impose their religious views on others and then, "What people of faith don't want to do, however, is be forced to participate in something that literally cuts to the very core of their belief.".
I understand.
So. I propose all churches and religious organizations begin paying taxes. This way, they can keep to themselves, only take care of the faithful, and not be bothered with people they feel undesirable or an affront to their beliefs, while contributing to the system ...as the rest of us already do.
It's not a perfect proposal. But it's a start. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Don't take government money and you will be able to discriminate at your own discretion.

Evolve
09-01-2012, 09:57 PM
(09-01-2012 02:00 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Saw this article on NPR this morning via facebook. I do not understand how people can not or do not draw the parallels between discriminating against religious affiliation (or lack thereof) and/or sexual orientation with that of discrimination against skin color or gender.

Person A has this set of 10 rights, Person B has 8 out of 10 of those rights, Person A thinks their rights are being taken away when person B gets the same number of rights as person A. What?

Theists don't frame the argument using your mathematics, but instead try to show you how Person B < Person A, so Person B's rights should be < Person A's rights. Of course they can't come right out and call a homosexual or atheist a "lesser" person, but they'll imply it by telling you that a homosexual's marriage < heterosexual's marriage, or that an atheist's faith < their faith.

It also helps, if you enter one of these arguments, to know the definition of discrimination. To make a blanket statement of any group on the whole is prejudice, and to suggest a blanket treatment of that group is - by definition - discrimination. Many theists have a hazy idea of what it is (maybe meaning something like "biased judgement"), and simply pointing it out from an unbiased source like the dictionary may go a long way.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post