An Open Palm or An Iron Fist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 12:44 PM
An Open Palm or An Iron Fist
First a little back story. When I was younger I had participated in and taught Isshin-ryu Karate in my home town. This style of Karate was created in the late 50's on the island of Okinawa by Sensei Tatsuo Shimabuku. It combined two styles Gōjū-ryū for its hard, liner, closed hand techniques, and Shōrin-ryū for it's flowing, wide, but sturdy techniques.

Tatsuo had a dream (Vision) of a half woman - half dragon standing in a turbolent ocean. She had one hand open another clasped in a fist. The open hand was meant as a gesture of good will. A symbol of peace. The Clasped hand was a gesture of defence. A symbol for strength. The turbulent waters meant to show all the troubles life would offer. But water at the same time is a symbol of purity. There is more about the imagine but it doesn't really apply to what I'm going at.

[Image: megami.jpg]

In debates I see many people take one of these two sides. The clasped hand tend to be very short, and combative. "Shut the FUCK UP!" "Get the fuck out of here!" "You need to read your bible!" "Your a fucking moron!" The negative of these is I feel it counter productive. You can come in with a sharp, heavy hitting comment. who ever we're talking to will only throw up a guard. Or it will make them leave the conversation with only a stereo type in there head. Such as Atheist are Angry. On the Plus, sometimes that one hard hitting comment can stick in a persons mind. Make them think about what was said and search for a resolve. Only to find they where the one in the wrong.

And then there are the people that Open Palm "Could you explain more?" "Why do you think that way?" "These are the facts I have. You can do what you will with them." "I'm sorry you are incorrect here's why." The Negative of this is depending on who your talking to, will determine if this method works. Relying on people to know facts off the top of there head isn't always reliable. And a dialogue at times will veer off topic. On the positive one could create a sense of calm. dialogues can make people think deeply about the topic, and promote positive thinking.

I feel that combination of the two could be the best way to go about debating. I tend to use a lot of sarcasm, and details when I'm having a conversation with a person with a different away of thinking. Asking a lot questions, ones that I feel they may have never asked themselves before.

I imagine debates like a karate match. In one corner you get guys like Frank Turek. His attacks are always the same, he always starts off with adhering to the crowed. This is my favorite school, this is my home state, I used do this here. Then goes to a short opening statement. It's like going in ok I'm going to kick with a left, then I'm going to punch with a right.

Then in comes Christopher Hitchens. Usually with a snappy remark or a witty antidote. Hitting Turek so hard he has to resort to 5th grade logic. "I know you are but what am I?" "Is that statement Absolute?"

So the questions I would like to open on this thread are.

Have you ever had a discussion with a person, and had them see your view right away?

Dose this line of thinking I presented seem flawed? Any suggestion on how I can improve it.

What type of person do you feel you are when in a debate?

What is your favorite debate?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
18-06-2015, 01:12 PM
RE: An Open Palm or An Iron Fist
I try the open palm in principle, but there are quite a few boisterous theists that come on this forum to basically pat themselves on the back for standing up to atheists.

They are argumentative jackasses that aren't really asking questions, just wanting to fight.

They need the closed fist- and an iron mace upside their head. Bangin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-06-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't know karate -- but I'm pretty well versed in "ka-boom"...

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I like the open palm approach. I was a vegan before I became an atheist--so I was kind of already primed for people having a problem with my lifestyle. I think if you are fully educated about why you believe a certain way or why you do things a certain way--you can shut people down rather quickly. I also think if you are happy with your life choices, people will see that and respond to it and often times ask questions. Through this approach, some of my friends who are meat eaters have tried vegan recipes and one even eats vegetarian 5 nights a week now. I also have found re: atheism that talking to Christians/Catholics calmly really helps in discussing both of your opinions. Calling them idiots reinforces their beliefs that atheists think they are smarter and reinforces their beliefs that atheists are "bad" people.

Instead of getting angry with people over disagreeing with me, I prefer to either use humor or just this is how I feel, let's agree to disagree, etc. I don't usually get nasty with anyone unless they get nasty with me first. I don't put up with being treated like that and sometimes I may need to reel in my Irish temper Tongue But, I prefer not to go there--I prefer to have intellectual, sophisticated debates. I like to hear what other people have to say and I am open to it. I like to debate about history, literature, art, life, the Bible, pretty much anything really.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-06-2015, 01:33 PM
At work.

I like the Patrick Swayze approach.

"Be nice..... Untill it is time to not be nice. Thence you rip their throat out."

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
18-06-2015, 01:52 PM
I like to present the illusion of an open palm while flanking with my fist Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
18-06-2015, 03:11 PM
If we're all honest I bet most of us are somewhat flippant about how we approach discussions. Let's pull back and look at the big picture though. We feel that religion, in general, causes more harm than good. I could go into the different reasons why but I don't need to.This is the hypothesis. Our goal shouldn't be to prove a point or win a debate but instead to promote rational, logical discussion to help our fellow human beings think more clearly which ultimately should result in a jettison of irrational beliefs and behaviors in all areas of our lives.

Think about this...at the core of who we are what is one of our greatest desires? I would argue companionship, community, relationships etc. This is where Christianity has the market. They are excellent at community, they are excellent in forging relationships to help each other to an extent. When you have a relationship with someone it's much easier to trust what they say. I would be more open to discussion with someone I know, who knows me and how I tick then I would be some random person on the internet or street meeting.

Given this I think there are two (could be more) main keys we can focus on in our discussions / debates with theists:

1.) Relationship development
2.) Psychology of Personality

Both of these play off each other. In order to truly be productive in your discussions you need to understand the psychology of the person you are in concert with. What is her background? Why does she think the way she does? How was she raised? What are her worldviews and why? You can't effectively answer these questions without building a relationship with that person. So often our mentality is an "us v. them" but if we back up and look at our similarities many of us are searching for the same thing. Truth. Understanding. Relationships. What do you like about that person? What are favorable characteristics that they hold that you could promote and offer praise for? When you have a relationship with someone you can use BOTH the closed fist and the open palm technique because both, together, are more likely to have an impact, especially with someone who's guard is down as the result of an open relationship.

So my goal, as I move forward, is to strive to build inroads to their way of thinking. This isn't a 50 yard dash. It's a marathon. It isn't something that will be accomplished in one discussion or maybe even 30 but if we set the precedent for future generations of atheists I think we will see major fruits from our efforts. It's not something that will be easy but in fact it's the better way. We'll have to be creative, we'll have to be innovative and we'll have to be willing to put in the work. It's a better way to break down the preconceived notions of who atheists are, build up relationships with humanity and work towards making the world better. Sleepy

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
18-06-2015, 04:32 PM
It all depends on whom one is debating. You are obviously new at this. Just like Seth, the Thinking Atheist. What, the guy has been deconverted for 6 months or something? People like me have been at this shit for decades!

You get your sincere questioner very rarely. Mainly they are idiots like Tomasia or that utter dolt, Q.

I am sorry but there are times to say "Fuck off".

When you are more experienced at this you will understand. I began arguing for reason around 16 years of age, having been an atheist all my life. I am now 51.

Time takes it's toll. But it also helps recognise the BS. I knew Tomasia was a theist from the start but he kept denying it. So I tried to cut him some slack. Then he blew it.

"
(17-06-2015 08:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It is a good analogy, though simplistic and trite, it is tightly constructed. I had to share it with an Evangelical Christian group I'm a part of it, to get there thoughts on it.

You see what I mean? He deserves to be told to fuck off because the only reason he is here is to annoy us.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-06-2015, 05:51 PM
(18-06-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  What type of person do you feel you are when in a debate?

What I tell people is that "I make change in the coin tendered".

I much prefer an open and ranging discussion conducted in courtesy even when there is disagreement. It's a sad fact that online, people feel entitled to act in ways they wouldn't dream of being in real life. Sometimes I will return the rudeness, sometimes I will work the shame-them-with-kindness angle, and sometimes I'll simply ignore them.

IRL, I have friends who range from atheist to devout, from rationalist to woo-merchant, and we don't have any problem at all, because first and foremost we love and respect one another. It's only online that debates have the possibility of going sour, I think.
19-06-2015, 09:10 AM
(18-06-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  First a little back story. When I was younger I had participated in and taught Isshin-ryu Karate in my home town. This style of Karate was created in the late 50's on the island of Okinawa by Sensei Tatsuo Shimabuku. It combined two styles Gōjū-ryū for its hard, liner, closed hand techniques, and Shōrin-ryū for it's flowing, wide, but sturdy techniques.

Tatsuo had a dream (Vision) of a half woman - half dragon standing in a turbolent ocean. She had one hand open another clasped in a fist. The open hand was meant as a gesture of good will. A symbol of peace. The Clasped hand was a gesture of defence. A symbol for strength. The turbulent waters meant to show all the troubles life would offer. But water at the same time is a symbol of purity. There is more about the imagine but it doesn't really apply to what I'm going at.

[Image: megami.jpg]

In debates I see many people take one of these two sides. The clasped hand tend to be very short, and combative. "Shut the FUCK UP!" "Get the fuck out of here!" "You need to read your bible!" "Your a fucking moron!" The negative of these is I feel it counter productive. You can come in with a sharp, heavy hitting comment. who ever we're talking to will only throw up a guard. Or it will make them leave the conversation with only a stereo type in there head. Such as Atheist are Angry. On the Plus, sometimes that one hard hitting comment can stick in a persons mind. Make them think about what was said and search for a resolve. Only to find they where the one in the wrong.

And then there are the people that Open Palm "Could you explain more?" "Why do you think that way?" "These are the facts I have. You can do what you will with them." "I'm sorry you are incorrect here's why." The Negative of this is depending on who your talking to, will determine if this method works. Relying on people to know facts off the top of there head isn't always reliable. And a dialogue at times will veer off topic. On the positive one could create a sense of calm. dialogues can make people think deeply about the topic, and promote positive thinking.

I feel that combination of the two could be the best way to go about debating. I tend to use a lot of sarcasm, and details when I'm having a conversation with a person with a different away of thinking. Asking a lot questions, ones that I feel they may have never asked themselves before.

I imagine debates like a karate match. In one corner you get guys like Frank Turek. His attacks are always the same, he always starts off with adhering to the crowed. This is my favorite school, this is my home state, I used do this here. Then goes to a short opening statement. It's like going in ok I'm going to kick with a left, then I'm going to punch with a right.

Then in comes Christopher Hitchens. Usually with a snappy remark or a witty antidote. Hitting Turek so hard he has to resort to 5th grade logic. "I know you are but what am I?" "Is that statement Absolute?"

So the questions I would like to open on this thread are.

Have you ever had a discussion with a person, and had them see your view right away?

Dose this line of thinking I presented seem flawed? Any suggestion on how I can improve it.

What type of person do you feel you are when in a debate?

I'm still recently deconverted, but in the conversations i've had thus far my approach has been more open hand, with my friends and my family for the moment. However I believe both approaches have their uses depending on who you are talking with, someone willing to ask questions and listen and think about what is being said would more than likely need an open handed approach. On the other hand someone that I perceive is going to cause harm with their beliefs or is just so far gone that an open handed approach won't work I would use an iron fist against instead. I think of it as trying to crack the hard shell of delusion and cognitive dissonance so that the seed of knowledge can be planted in their mind with the hope of spurring a change in their thinking.

In the debate field, at least with my Mom so far I started with an open handed approach showing how I came to my conclusions, when that was failing I started moving to more and more of an iron handed approach, which got her at least to the point to look at the Bible again, which is a small feat in of itself.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan