An Open Palm or An Iron Fist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2015, 09:11 AM
RE: An Open Palm or An Iron Fist
I am also a martial art teacher. My karate style is Shotokan, but recently I got interested thanks to a friend of mine in Chinese White Crane kung-fu. Since it's a women martial art, you rely on soft power for defensive and offensive purpose. In a debate it translate nicely in an opening with the open palm where you truly attempt to learn has much has possible about your opponent, present the base of your argument and when you feel the time is right, you switch to closed fist strategy where you aggressively dismiss the entire argument of your opponent. It can work well especially because of the effect of surprise caused by the shift in attitude and because it allows you to observe your opponent weakness. Of course, if you want to retain some dignity, refrain from personal attack and concentrate on the argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Retaining dignity on TTA--surely you jest Smile
19-06-2015, 09:25 AM
(19-06-2015 09:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Retaining dignity on TTA--surely you jest Smile

Can I have faith in dignity? If so I want dignity to have created the world in 17 hours, made human out of spare parts of dead monkeys and shoot lasers out of its eyes. Oh, and we shall now refer to it has Dignitor Prime.Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-06-2015, 01:21 PM
(18-06-2015 04:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It all depends on whom one is debating. You are obviously new at this. Just like Seth, the Thinking Atheist. What, the guy has been deconverted for 6 months or something? People like me have been at this shit for decades!

You get your sincere questioner very rarely. Mainly they are idiots like Tomasia or that utter dolt, Q.

I am sorry but there are times to say "Fuck off".

When you are more experienced at this you will understand. I began arguing for reason around 16 years of age, having been an atheist all my life. I am now 51.

Time takes it's toll. But it also helps recognise the BS. I knew Tomasia was a theist from the start but he kept denying it. So I tried to cut him some slack. Then he blew it.

"
(17-06-2015 08:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It is a good analogy, though simplistic and trite, it is tightly constructed. I had to share it with an Evangelical Christian group I'm a part of it, to get there thoughts on it.

You see what I mean? He deserves to be told to fuck off because the only reason he is here is to annoy us.

ooOohh! I knew something was rotten in Denmark. I've have conversations with both of them. Tomasia made the same clam to me that he was an Atheist, but for some reason called it a religion. Even after long explanations why it wasn't he didn't seem to get it threw his head. It's sad he has to be dishonest to feel ligament.

And Q. Well I think we all know about Q. I've written full pages of explanations, with questions requesting answers. And he'll change subjects like Chris Jenner changes clothes. I've used a lot of sarcasm with him, that he doesn't seem to appreciate.

But sometimes your not going to change the minds of everyone. Sometimes it could be someone on the side lines just reading or listening. Or it wont happen over night, could take years.

If people want to believe in a god that's fine with me. It's when they start projecting the what they think their god what's everyone to do that it bothers me.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
19-06-2015, 02:46 PM
(18-06-2015 04:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Just like Seth, the Thinking Atheist. What, the guy has been deconverted for 6 months or something? People like me have been at this shit for decades!

Seth doesn't have decades behind him, but his online presence under the Thinking Atheist header goes back six years...

... this is my signature!
19-06-2015, 02:48 PM
(18-06-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It combined two styles Gōjū-ryū for its hard, liner, closed hand techniques, and Shōrin-ryū for it's flowing, wide, but sturdy techniques.

You know, that's sort of ironic, since in goju we already say we have a pretty good mix going. Go means hard and ju means soft - it's right there in the name!

A patient approach requires, obviously, patience. Depending on one's mood - and the regularity with which one has seen the "argument" in question - a person's stock will vary.

It's generally pretty easy to tell whether someone wants an actual discussion, or whether they're more interested in rhetorical masturbation. In engaging with the latter there may well be some value to grind out of the interaction, but it's solely for the edification of the audience. Ideally that's to be a positive influence on some out there, but if nothing else it might at least be entertaining for the home crowd.

... this is my signature!
20-06-2015, 08:50 AM
(19-06-2015 02:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 12:44 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It combined two styles Gōjū-ryū for its hard, liner, closed hand techniques, and Shōrin-ryū for it's flowing, wide, but sturdy techniques.

You know, that's sort of ironic, since in goju we already say we have a pretty good mix going. Go means hard and ju means soft - it's right there in the name!

A patient approach requires, obviously, patience. Depending on one's mood - and the regularity with which one has seen the "argument" in question - a person's stock will vary.

It's generally pretty easy to tell whether someone wants an actual discussion, or whether they're more interested in rhetorical masturbation. In engaging with the latter there may well be some value to grind out of the interaction, but it's solely for the edification of the audience. Ideally that's to be a positive influence on some out there, but if nothing else it might at least be entertaining for the home crowd.

Yeah, i found that out while i was looking for the correct spelling. My Sensei never told us about that. So it's my guess that Tatsuo just took the harder parts of it. But in all honesty I don't know. I'll have to see if I can find any video about Gōjū's.

It's been years since I've practiced any of my style. I've been meaning of getting back into it but I can't find any classes in my area. I've been trying to teach my wife, but she doesn't have the patience to learn.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin