An Unexpected Trip to the Hospital

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2016, 05:18 PM
An Unexpected Trip to the Hospital
Let me preface this post by saying the following: It's been about two years since the last time I was sick for several days in a row. It happens extremely rarely (presumably because I have a strong immune system) which is why I'm not used to feeling sick. Given that, the severity of this incident shocked me a lot.

Anyway, I ordered a pizza from a new pizza place on Sunday and had to find out that it had some really weird cheese on it. After eating a few slices, I threw the rest away because it was too disgusting to finish. About two hours later (I thought this was related to the food but that doesn't seem very likely), I started feeling very uneasy. When I touched my forehead with the back of my hand, it was hot. Great, a fever. I drank lots of water, cooled my head with cold packaging and so forth. I was able to fall asleep that way and when I woke up the next day, the fever was gone, but it was replaced by something much more annoying: nasty coughing fits and irremovable mucus in my throat.

The coughing fits became so bad when I was lying down that I could only get a couple hours of sleep that night and the next. Today the coughing fits continued, but in addition to that, the fever returned. My bed sheets and clothes were completely drenched in sweat when I woke up today. I replaced them and went back to bed and only to wake up to the same thing. I tried to go to the pharmacy to get some basic medical supplies for treating coughs and fevers, but before I could even make it ten feet from my front door, the coughing fits became much worse. I went back up stairs and called an ambulance. While I was talking to the guy on the phone, the coughing became so bad that I puked all over myself. I went downstairs again to wait for the ambulance and emptied pretty much my whole stomach on the stairs and the pavement. About four of the five people who entered the building while I was waiting for the ambulance offered me their help so that was nice at least.

When the ambulance arrived, the people took my temperature, pulse and so on before finally driving me to the hospital. The doc gave me a shot for the fever and then sent me to a different department to get an X-ray of my chest. About an hour later, the results came in: I have bronchitis. I was prescribed a whole bunch of different meds for the fever, the coughing, the bronchitis and some anti-biotics. I don't even know how to describe how awful I feel. This is definitely among the worst experiences I've made in my life.

On a more positive note, my insurance paid for most of it so I only had to pay about $15 for the ambulance trip, the X-ray and the medicine combined.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
30-03-2016, 05:22 PM
RE: An Unexpected Trip to the Hospital
(30-03-2016 05:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Let me preface this post by saying the following: It's been about two years since the last time I was sick for several days in a row. It happens extremely rarely (presumably because I have a strong immune system) which is why I'm not used to feeling sick. Given that, the severity of this incident shocked me a lot.

Anyway, I ordered a pizza from a new pizza place on Sunday and had to find out that it had some really weird cheese on it. After eating a few slices, I threw the rest away because it was too disgusting to finish. About two hours later (I thought this was related to the food but that doesn't seem very likely), I started feeling very uneasy. When I touched my forehead with the back of my hand, it was hot. Great, a fever. I drank lots of water, cooled my head with cold packaging and so forth. I was able to fall asleep that way and when I woke up the next day, the fever was gone, but it was replaced by something much more annoying: nasty coughing fits and irremovable mucus in my throat.

The coughing fits became so bad when I was lying down that I could only get a couple hours of sleep that night and the next. Today the coughing fits continued, but in addition to that, the fever returned. My bed sheets and clothes were completely drenched in sweat when I woke up today. I replaced them and went back to bed and only to wake up to the same thing. I tried to go to the pharmacy to get some basic medical supplies for treating coughs and fevers, but before I could even make it ten feet from my front door, the coughing fits became much worse. I went back up stairs and called an ambulance. While I was talking to the guy on the phone, the coughing became so bad that I puked all over myself. I went downstairs again to wait for the ambulance and emptied pretty much my whole stomach on the stairs and the pavement. About four of the five people who entered the building while I was waiting for the ambulance offered me their help so that was nice at least.

When the ambulance arrived, the people took my temperature, pulse and so on before finally driving me to the hospital. The doc gave me a shot for the fever and then sent me to a different department to get an X-ray of my chest. About an hour later, the results came in: I have bronchitis. I was prescribed a whole bunch of different meds for the fever, the coughing, the bronchitis and some anti-biotics. I don't even know how to describe how awful I feel. This is definitely among the worst experiences I've made in my life.

On a more positive note, my insurance paid for most of it so I only had to pay about $15 for the ambulance trip, the X-ray and the medicine combined.

Glad you feel better Vosur.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Been there, done that. Nasty. The worst part is that once you had bronchitis, it's likely to flare back up when you get colds or the flu.

I coughed so hard that I passed out. Scary shit.

But - you'll make it. Just take super good care, take your meds and don't get dehydrated. Warm liquids bring temporary relief. Try using cough drops dissolved in your tea or just hot water. Drink slowly, lots of little sips, you want the impact in your throat, not your stomach.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-03-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm glad you got yourself looked at, hope you get to feeling better soon!

I get that too with bronchitis - coughing until I vomit. That combined with not being able to breathe because of the mucus and coughing, it gets really scary. I nearly had a panick attack my first time with it, I was certain my airway was closing. Pretty tough to try and clam down/diffuse an anxiety attack when you can't take calming breaths! My doctor prescribes an inhaler now when I get it. I think Dom is right. I had it for the first time a few years ago, and now every time I get a congestive cold, it turns into bronchitis after a few days Confused

Best of luck!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
30-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear you were so sick. I've had bronchitis a couple of times. It's not fun. I think the sickest I ever was was when I had a type of viral strep throat. Not the bacterial strep throat that everyone gets and takes antibiotics for but a virus in my throat that didn't respond to antibiotics. I was in bed sick for two weeks with a high fever for about 4 of those two weeks. It took me three months to recover. The good news is that the doctor told me I'd probably never get that virus again because I developed the antibodies for it. Yay.

I also had mononucleosis my first year of college and had to drop out of school for a semester to recover from that crap.

Get well and take care of yourself.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Feel better soon.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
30-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Hug

Feel better soon
30-03-2016, 06:06 PM
That sounds awful, hope you get through it soon.
30-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Don't die, nibba! Huh

Get better.

30-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Hug