An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 05:18 PM
An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister
I'm near thirty years old, from the Midwest, and wanted to be a minister when I was in my early twenties. After digging into the bible and its history and encountering some personal issues with my girlfriend at the time, I just became unable to believe anymore. Simply put, I was doing everything I could to try to get answers to moral questions, and there wasn't a hint of a response.

I've maintained friendships with theists of all types ever since, and have hosted conversation groups to get people to move past the common antagonistic arguments, talk about their experiences, and enjoy some activities together. It has been far more productive than the debates I used to host, though not nearly as effective as I'd hoped.

Those are the basics about me. Any questions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2013, 12:07 AM
RE: An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister
Welcome.

While I was at the Lutheran University I attended I had a couple of students ask if I was going to be a pastor because of what I did in the NT class. I taught a couple of years in a Lutheran school. I am also from/in the Midwest. Your moral questions are/were also many of my questions despite remaining a xian for many years.

One of the best talks I have had since becoming an atheist has been with a work colleagues wife who became an atheist during her senior year at a very elite catholic high school.

My only question is the same as Seth said in one podcast, do you still have association with all family/friends that are still deeply religious?

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
25-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Welcome!!

The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind. -- Marquis de Sade
25-05-2013, 08:49 AM
(25-05-2013 12:07 AM)wisergeek Wrote:  My only question is the same as Seth said in one podcast, do you still have association with all family/friends that are still deeply religious?

I remain friendly, but most aren't interested in speaking with me one on one because they know that they can't convince me of anything, and they'll end up in over their heads if they argue for too long. Those that are less religious are more social and occasionally ask questions about my views and seek advice about how to handle things from my perspective. (I guess they figure that if religious and non-religious advice matches, it's their best bet.)
25-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Greetings. And the man in the picture below doesn't look as good as me.

[Image: p.aspx?u=v20_p13_photo_1305252310052885_0.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post