An agnostic has arrived

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 02:39 AM
RE: An agnostic has arrived
(07-02-2014 11:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 07:01 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Care to elaborate?

For the thousandth time? No, no I do not.
Just take my word for it for once.

Ok, I'll do the very thing you Atheists tend to preah against. ^_^

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Khushko, in case you're wondering why everyone is saying you're atheist, it's not because we're a bunch of arrogant jerks who think we can get you to switch teams; it's because you're using the definition differently than most of the people on the forum use it.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. Asking someone if they're atheist or agnostic is a lot like asking someone if their car is blue or a pickup. It could be neither or it could be both.

Theism is the belief in one or more gods. Atheism is not believing in one or more gods. This is a statement of belief.

Gnosticism is believing your stance is knowable or even provable. Agnosticism is believing your stance is not knowable. This is a statement of knowledge.

So, this leaves you with four possible combinations:
  • Gnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods and you believe you can know they exist.
  • Agnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods, but you feel that ultimately, your belief has to be taken solely on faith.
  • Gnostic atheist - you believe that no gods exist. If someone asks you how many gods there are, you'd say "zero".
  • Agnostic atheist - you lack a belief in gods (likely due to lack of evidence). You do not assert that there are no gods, because you feel that the answer to that question is inherently unknowable. Sure, you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn sitting up on that cloud there, but without evidence for it, why would you believe in it?

So, while the majority of us here identify as "atheist", most of us fall into that "agnostic atheist" camp. We are assuming this is your position, as well. You don't believe in any gods due to a lack of belief rather than assert that there are none. Is this correct?
[+] 8 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-02-2014, 08:32 AM
This could be potentially helpful. Very short read but most people here are familiar with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of...robability
10-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I hope you manage to answer some of your questions in your stay here.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-02-2014, 12:49 AM
(07-02-2014 12:36 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  You're actually an atheist...but you'll figure that out in time.

Thanks!
BTW: I like your signature quote .. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 01:06 AM
(07-02-2014 01:23 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Are you an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist?

If agnostic theist then which god is it that you believe in?

I don't believe in any God.. Its simple I'm Skeptic and Rationalist..
27-02-2014, 01:07 AM
(07-02-2014 04:44 AM)avalontheresa Wrote:  I was an agnostic for one day….then it clicked, I am now an atheist.

Oh, Well, Good Luck! Smile
27-02-2014, 01:09 AM
(27-02-2014 01:06 AM)khushko Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 01:23 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Are you an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist?

If agnostic theist then which god is it that you believe in?

I don't believe in any God.. Its simple I'm Skeptic and Rationalist..

Well you are certainly an atheist then.

Welcome, I hope you have an informing stay.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-02-2014, 01:10 AM
(07-02-2014 11:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 07:01 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Care to elaborate?

For the thousandth time? No, no I do not.
Just take my word for it for once.

Un-Believable & Un-Understandable!
If you can not elaborate, you have no right to claim it Stupidity!
27-02-2014, 01:19 AM
(10-02-2014 06:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Khushko, in case you're wondering why everyone is saying you're atheist, it's not because we're a bunch of arrogant jerks who think we can get you to switch teams; it's because you're using the definition differently than most of the people on the forum use it.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. Asking someone if they're atheist or agnostic is a lot like asking someone if their car is blue or a pickup. It could be neither or it could be both.

Theism is the belief in one or more gods. Atheism is not believing in one or more gods. This is a statement of belief.

Gnosticism is believing your stance is knowable or even provable. Agnosticism is believing your stance is not knowable. This is a statement of knowledge.

So, this leaves you with four possible combinations:
  • Gnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods and you believe you can know they exist.
  • Agnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods, but you feel that ultimately, your belief has to be taken solely on faith.
  • Gnostic atheist - you believe that no gods exist. If someone asks you how many gods there are, you'd say "zero".
  • Agnostic atheist - you lack a belief in gods (likely due to lack of evidence). You do not assert that there are no gods, because you feel that the answer to that question is inherently unknowable. Sure, you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn sitting up on that cloud there, but without evidence for it, why would you believe in it?

So, while the majority of us here identify as "atheist", most of us fall into that "agnostic atheist" camp. We are assuming this is your position, as well. You don't believe in any gods due to a lack of belief rather than assert that there are none. Is this correct?

Yes, Correct.. I think, I fall in last category: 'Agnostic Atheist' Bowing
I don't believe in 'Fairy Tales' of Religion rather I accept something acceptable to Rationalism..
Finally, why I do not pronounce myself as Atheist only, because I am not sure that Materialists are even 100% right.. Why so? Yup, due to the lack of evidence in support of 'Creation of Big Bang'..
Its a hard discussion between Spiritualists and Materialists, which is not yet over.. Smile