An agnostic has arrived

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: An agnostic has arrived
Hi and nice to meet you.
I would only say that even if you think the evidence for the Big Bang is only circumstantial, it is certainly better than goddidit.
There really is no evidence whatsoever for that.
Science doesn't always get it right but at least it can stand up to the various tests we demand of it and it is always ready to change its mind when presented with evidence and is also able to say 'I don't know'.
The beauty of it is that we can test it to see if it holds up under scrutiny.
I look forward to hearing your viewpoints.
Rose
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
27-02-2014, 03:48 AM
(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)khushko Wrote:  Finally, why I do not pronounce myself as Atheist only, because I am not sure that Materialists are even 100% right.. Why so? Yup, due to the lack of evidence in support of 'Creation of Big Bang'..
Its a hard discussion between Spiritualists and Materialists, which is not yet over.. Smile
Not sure that I follow your logic.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god.
You stated that you do not believe in any god, thus you are an atheist.

I'm not sure what the link is between atheism and materialism.
An atheist can be open to non material causes.

Am I right in assuming that although you are open to the possibility of non material causes that you also lack a belief in them due to lack of evidence in support of non material causes?

It's great to keep an open mind and most of us will be with you pouring over the evidence with our skeptic minds when some does come to light.

Welcome to the family.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
27-02-2014, 04:07 AM
(27-02-2014 03:48 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)khushko Wrote:  Finally, why I do not pronounce myself as Atheist only, because I am not sure that Materialists are even 100% right.. Why so? Yup, due to the lack of evidence in support of 'Creation of Big Bang'..
Its a hard discussion between Spiritualists and Materialists, which is not yet over.. Smile

Welcome to the family.

Aaah, How Sweet .. Loved that Statement: Welcome to Family! Big Grin
Alright, I don't proclaim that I'm an Atheist rather I'm an Agnostic, a Skeptic, a Rationalist.. Earnestly, I believe in what I see, what I sense logically..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Yeah I'm an agnostic too. Ya never really can know for sure if the moon is made of green cheese, and the debate concerning whether there is a teapot orbiting the sun is not over yet. Dodgy.

Why is it you think that what appears to be "logical" to the human brain is the way to determine the fundamental nature of reality ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2014, 04:35 AM
(07-02-2014 11:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 07:01 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Care to elaborate?

For the thousandth time? No, no I do not.
Just take my word for it for once.

It's wishy-washy bullshit pandering to both sides and satisfying neither. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
27-02-2014, 04:49 AM
(27-02-2014 04:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah I'm an agnostic too. Ya never really can know for sure if the moon is made of green cheese, and the debate concerning whether there is a teapot orbiting the sun is not over yet. Dodgy.

Why is it you think that what appears to be "logical" to the human brain is the way to determine the fundamental nature of reality ?

For two reasons::
1st) I THINK, therefore I AM..
2nd) Mathematics apply to everything that belongs to Universe!
27-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Re: RE: An agnostic has arrived
(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)khushko Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 06:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Khushko, in case you're wondering why everyone is saying you're atheist, it's not because we're a bunch of arrogant jerks who think we can get you to switch teams; it's because you're using the definition differently than most of the people on the forum use it.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. Asking someone if they're atheist or agnostic is a lot like asking someone if their car is blue or a pickup. It could be neither or it could be both.

Theism is the belief in one or more gods. Atheism is not believing in one or more gods. This is a statement of belief.

Gnosticism is believing your stance is knowable or even provable. Agnosticism is believing your stance is not knowable. This is a statement of knowledge.

So, this leaves you with four possible combinations:
  • Gnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods and you believe you can know they exist.
  • Agnostic theist - you believe in one or more gods, but you feel that ultimately, your belief has to be taken solely on faith.
  • Gnostic atheist - you believe that no gods exist. If someone asks you how many gods there are, you'd say "zero".
  • Agnostic atheist - you lack a belief in gods (likely due to lack of evidence). You do not assert that there are no gods, because you feel that the answer to that question is inherently unknowable. Sure, you can't prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn sitting up on that cloud there, but without evidence for it, why would you believe in it?

So, while the majority of us here identify as "atheist", most of us fall into that "agnostic atheist" camp. We are assuming this is your position, as well. You don't believe in any gods due to a lack of belief rather than assert that there are none. Is this correct?

Yes, Correct.. I think, I fall in last category: 'Agnostic Atheist' Bowing
I don't believe in 'Fairy Tales' of Religion rather I accept something acceptable to Rationalism..
Finally, why I do not pronounce myself as Atheist only, because I am not sure that Materialists are even 100% right.. Why so? Yup, due to the lack of evidence in support of 'Creation of Big Bang'..

All of that is irrelevant to the term of atheist in contrast to theist.

Are you a Huxley agnostic or simply agnostic to say you don't know? Because atheism isnt a position of asserting any knowledge or must be answers to those questions you have listed.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Hi. Welcome to TTA.

I hope you had a chance to get familiar with the place before people start picking at you. .....oh, I see they've already started.

Where is everyone's manners? Let the noob get out of the foyer before you jump him? Sheesh

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-02-2014, 07:37 AM
(27-02-2014 04:49 AM)khushko Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 04:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah I'm an agnostic too. Ya never really can know for sure if the moon is made of green cheese, and the debate concerning whether there is a teapot orbiting the sun is not over yet. Dodgy.

For two reasons::
1st) I THINK, therefore I AM..
2nd) Mathematics apply to everything that belongs to Universe!

Agree, but not all maths appear, on the surface to be logical, (see Dirac's tensors and matricies). The point is the appearance of "(intuitively) logical" is not sufficient.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-02-2014, 09:04 AM
(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)khushko Wrote:  Finally, why I do not pronounce myself as Atheist only...

Well, yes. Neither do I. That's why I say I'm both agnostic and atheist. Also, I like pepperoni on my pizza, which has nothing to do with both of those other things, so I'm an agnostic atheist pepperonist (or whatever).

No one fully identifies by one label, but so far as what that label describes, it is an accurate description. It's just that people frequently over-define the term.

Ex: "You're an atheist? How can you believe in evolution?"
While a lot of atheists believe in evolution, it's not a requirement to be an atheist.

(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)khushko Wrote:  ...because I am not sure that Materialists are even 100% right.. Why so? Yup, due to the lack of evidence in support of 'Creation of Big Bang'..

Remember: when discussing things like the origin of the universe and what-not, "I don't know" is a perfectly valid answer. Stuff like the big bang is basically our best guess based on what we can observe. We know that the universe is over 13 billion years old and that everything is spreading out from a centralized location. There are plenty of things we don't know about the big bang, but it's a reasonable approach given what we do know.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post