An argument I HATE !!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 11:04 AM
RE: An argument I HATE !!!
Wow , thanks guys.
I always felt the argument is meant to put one in an impossible position.

@Green
Let me take up combat training for a while and I may consider your solution

@Unbeliever
Thank you for putting your finger on it - damn that sounds creepy Tongue

@ashley.hunt
I'm guessing it was horribly quote mined. Please enlighten me with some context - I may need it in future debates.

@stefania
You got me thinking about a counter-quote :
"For those that believe , their belief is proof enough
For those that do not believe , proof is the only way to believe"

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2011, 02:23 AM
(28-04-2011 09:45 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(28-04-2011 07:33 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  It just feels like an impossible argument , and I'm sure its a logical fallacy but I just can't put my finger on it. Any help ? How do I counter this ?

Bare assertion fallacy, with a slight side of straw man.

It's an argument with no basis. It only has power if you don't question its basic premise - that people who don't believe in something never will. That statement is demonstrably untrue.

It sounds like a false dichotomy to me. It groups people into either those who are convinced by nothing (or anything), or those who are never convinced. There are more options. So there, thats the name of the fallacy it's committing.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
30-04-2011, 12:51 PM
(29-04-2011 11:04 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @ashley.hunt
I'm guessing it was horribly quote mined. Please enlighten me with some context - I may need it in future debates.

Quote mined, I'm not sure about, but the first part, "For those that believe no proof is necessary" really shouldn't be a good things. If a theist says it then he's saying that an atheist wouldn't take proof no matter what, but they are saying saying that they(the theist) don't have any proof or reason to believe. It's a double edged sword is all.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
@deamonowner
I guessed so to at first but wasn't sure the false dichotomy fit in the context.

@ashley.hunt60
Oh I get it. I thought you meant it was taken out of context or something. I've seen it done so many times , I thought it was the case.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin