An atheist Struggling with self

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 02:37 PM
An atheist Struggling with self
Hello
I am from a catholic family. Having become an atheist a year ago ,my current beliefs put me in conflict with beliefs in traditional society where everyone is invested in religion.Atheism is an unthinkable , unreal concept to them.I wish I weren't so inquisitive.I can't express my beliefs to anyone ,I don't want to be struck with a social disaster.But now I don't think I can keep it bottled up.So this is my first time on forum.
The transition from christian to atheist was painful and traumatic , coupled with personal issues - a mental hell. Right now my thoughts are all jumbled up,I wish to come out of this struggle and find stability.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sea_tiger's post
07-05-2017, 02:47 PM
RE: An atheist Struggling with self
Welcome. Hopefully this place can help you find peace.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2017, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 03:25 PM by Brian37.)
(07-05-2017 02:37 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Hello
I am from a catholic family. Having become an atheist a year ago ,my current beliefs put me in conflict with beliefs in traditional society where everyone is invested in religion.Atheism is an unthinkable , unreal concept to them.I wish I weren't so inquisitive.I can't express my beliefs to anyone ,I don't want to be struck with a social disaster.But now I don't think I can keep it bottled up.So this is my first time on forum.
The transition from christian to atheist was painful and traumatic , coupled with personal issues - a mental hell. Right now my thoughts are all jumbled up,I wish to come out of this struggle and find stability.

Former Catholic myself.

Word of advice. You don't "become" anything. Your position are more like the cloths you wear and then remove when you get tired of them. You don't become your shirt or hat or pants, you simply take them off and change them.

I hope you never give up being inquisitive. Is is it more important to you to feel good even if that feeling good is based on a falsehood?

The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around their polytheistic god/s like Ra, and Osiris and Horus and Isis? Did that long tradition make those deities real? It certainly created some beautiful monuments and artwork, sure, but that didn't make the deities real.

Your "stability" does not have to involve dwelling in the past, much less dwelling on old myths or old books. I am sure you don't spend much time worrying about the existence of Apollo or Poseidon do you?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting your finite existence. You go to a movie knowing the credits will roll and the movie ends. You go to a sporting event knowing one team will win and one team will lose and that ends. You go to a music concert knowing a last song will be played. You read a book knowing it has a last page. You even get a pet cat or pet dog, knowing it wont live as long as you, you enjoy it, it dies, you are sad for a while, and still get another pet.

You changed your position, nothing more. You didn't suddenly become non human. What you are feeling is unfortunately because a lifetime of prior indoctrination, not your current realization of "this is all there is".

You will be ok as long as you don't let others guilt trip you for accepting reality.

If you accept that our species is much older than any written religion, and you accept our planet as being 4 billion years old, and you accept that our universe with it's 100s of billions of galaxies in it's 13.8 billion year old history, then please, don't sweat the superstitious baggage others may still dwell in. It is really OK to accept your finite existence.

It does not make you fatalistic, or pessimistic because others cant accept that. I makes you wise and grown up, and it means you are in tune with reality, and that is a positive thing, not a negative thing.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
07-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Self-abrogation is the only option I see. Self-annulment by self-decree.

#sigh
07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. I hope that we can be of help.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
07-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the family. Many of us here deconverted. You are not alone in having to go through these feelings. And the good news is that it does get better.

I liken leaving religion to getting out of an abusive relationship. Just like being abandoned by a wife you thought would be with you forever but turned out to be unfaithful, it is at first hard to gain the emotional distance to see the situation rationally. After a while, though, you learn to see the situation for what it was, and you can start building a better life based on reality instead of a fairytale version you fooled yourself into believing.

[Image: HrSPq.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-05-2017, 04:15 PM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

(I'll look forward to discussing some of your issues in another thread.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Welcome from another former catholic!

If things are bothering you, start up a thread or two and people will be sure to respond.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-05-2017, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 09:52 PM by sea_tiger.)
(07-05-2017 03:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  ..........You don't "become" anything. Your position are more like the cloths you wear and then remove when you get tired of them. You don't become your shirt or hat or pants, you simply take them off and change them.....

In my initial stages of leaving my beliefs, I considered myself to be a freethinker , then I started considering myself to be an agnostic but avoided atheist label like the plague.[I thought ,atheism=dogmatic absolute belief in no God] .In my teens I experienced unexplainable [maybe supernatural] event around the time of my grandma's death and also taking in account the stories of rebirth etc. so I think that souls ,supernatural plane and God may exist.But I don't think God of Abrahmic faith is real.Penn Jillette's God No! made me realize that I am an atheist .[no mulling over labels]
[+] 2 users Like sea_tiger's post
07-05-2017, 10:22 PM
10 % of people in the US are former Catholics.
It's a 'thing". Facepalm
It's why some call themselves "recovering Catholics".
They (RC's) used to bother the living crap out of me ... now i could care less.
Like Rocket says, things improve with distance and other (replacement) interests.

They're fun to play with though ... on Catholic Answers and Suscipe Domine (Dummy knee). Tongue
Amazingly, I haven't ever been booted off Catholic Answers. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post