An atheist becomes a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 12:14 PM
An atheist becomes a believer
Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jokurix's post
18-03-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: An atheist becomes a believer
I usually look down at my shoes, shuffle my feet around, and back away slowly so it doesn't notice.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 12:26 PM
It's certainly not universally true; there are plenty of "atheists in foxholes"
http://militaryatheists.org/
https://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/

There are also plenty of other cases of people facing dire situations and not feeling the need to call on an imaginary friend. Dan Barker, in his book "Godless", talks about his wife having an eclamptic seizure and being near death...
Quote:During the entire traumatic experience we never thought of invoking a god for help. We never prayed, never even considered it.

Besides, even if somebody was desperate and grasping at any possibility it wouldn't be evidence for the truth of the claim. It would be an interesting facet of human psychology.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
18-03-2017, 12:45 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

Since he makes the assertion without evidence, it can be dismissed without evidence.

Beyond that, the notion that all people who believe one narrow belief-position on a very narrow question, would have the same response to distress, is itself absurd.

I have been an atheist for a couple of decades now, and have had many "moments of distress" (roughly as many as during any similar time period when I was a believer) and my ability to handle them has markedly improved. Which points out another issue with such an absurd notion, which is that it's scarcely all upside for someone "in distress" that they believe in some deity or other.

For example, I found that the particular deity I believed in (the Christian one) caused me to ask many useless questions when faced with personal tragedy, questions which assumed externally bestowed / inherent meaning and purpose, deserved protection and other quid pro quos for being obedient to the faith. This resulted in "why me / why them", "what did I / they do to deserve this", "why weren't our imprecations for safety / protection answered", "my god why hast thou forsaken me" sorts of questions that GREATLY increase cognitive dissonance and suffering when "in distress", particularly the stress of major grief and loss. It also greatly raises unrealistic expectations of how life is "supposed to" be.

By contrast, now that I understand that death is just part of life, that I'm not entitled to be exempt from any aspect of death / loss / misfortune, that suffering is not personal in any way, etc., I can endure suffering with a great deal more equanimity, all things being equal.

I could go on and on, but hopefully the OP gets the general drift.
[+] 9 users Like mordant's post
18-03-2017, 12:49 PM
At best this shows that God hides the whole time, playing "peekaboo" at the last minute. What a twat.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Robvalue's post
18-03-2017, 12:52 PM
I credit my atheism with helping my survival during the long course of an extremely deadly disease. I knew I had one life to lose. So I clung to it. While doing so I watched many theists give in and drop dead.

When I hear people say rubbish like this I always, always, call BS.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 21 users Like Banjo's post
18-03-2017, 12:54 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

I think it's a baseless assertion presented without evidence or even an argument to motivate it, at least as it's been related here. It sounds to me like the speculation of someone who has no idea of how atheists think, especially the part about not just questioning but becoming a believer. It sounds like someone who wants to believe in an afterlife assuming that everyone else thinks the same as them.
[+] 4 users Like John Derderian's post
18-03-2017, 01:36 PM

I think you should look at any thread where I talk about myself.... I'm pretty sure my life has been one nonstop moment of distress..... still an Atheist.

Wink

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 01:54 PM

A few years ago, I had a serious illness and spent several weeks in the hospital. Not once did I think of changing my mind about my belief God does not exist. And in the past on various forums. a number of other atheists who faced serious illnesses or death in the military stated the same.

I am sure that somewhere, maybe somebody might have changed their mind, reverting to childhood religious beliefs, but in my experience, that seems to be rather rare. It's pious self delusion from Christians. A falsehood. Nothing more.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
18-03-2017, 02:01 PM
(18-03-2017 01:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  

I think you should look at any thread where I talk about myself.... I'm pretty sure my life has been one nonstop moment of distress..... still an Atheist.

Wink

Rob.... You're liking that post makes it seem almost like you find my distress entertaining......

Thank you Smile at least I can be entertaining!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post