An atheist becomes a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 02:11 PM
RE: An atheist becomes a believer
As I laid on the floor in full on panic attack mode, gasping for breath, crying to a 911 operator for help, in one of my most desperate, terrifying, and humiliating moments, god never once crossed my mind.

This person doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Loom's post
18-03-2017, 02:12 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue

(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  "... an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

Bunch of hooey. Dodgy

I've known several atheists who died and not once did they convert. This is just more fanciful wishful thinking on the part of theists....especially Christians.

Also, for those few atheists who might start believing in god at a critical time in their lives, this STILL isn't evidence a god exists. Belief is not evidence.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I would not believe in God in a period of distress, no more than I would believe in Zeus, Ganesha, Belobog, Anu, Ra, or any of the other millions of gods/goddesses that people have claimed to exist.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
18-03-2017, 02:18 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  What do you think of this? Tongue

You do realize a lot of people are prejudiced against atheists, right?
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
18-03-2017, 02:31 PM
It's another bit of feel good theist circle jerking, just like the old worn out "there are no atheists in foxholes" crap.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
18-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Funny, 2 years ago when I was starting my change to atheist, I had to have surgery where I was put under. Being under, I realize that's pretty much how death will be. I'll be gone; no dreams, nothing, and after that I really haven't feared death anymore. I mean I don't want to die yet or anything, but it actually calmed some fears.
[+] 6 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
18-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Also funny to me people that are so sure there is a god looking after them seem to scared shitless when they are faced with death.
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
18-03-2017, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 03:53 PM by mordant.)
(18-03-2017 01:54 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am sure that somewhere, maybe somebody might have changed their mind, reverting to childhood religious beliefs, but in my experience, that seems to be rather rare. It's pious self delusion from Christians. A falsehood. Nothing more.
Some people, regardless of whether they are theists or atheists, hold their views without deep consideration; others hold views that are very considered indeed.

Consider someone who grew up ignorant of religion, who had never even considered belief in any deities, who had led a fairly charmed life and then suddenly runs into some horrific tragedy, and then at this vulnerable moment a kindly believer offers the faux comfort of their faith-based beliefs. I would almost be surprised if such a person did NOT convert, particularly if they are prone to be easily guilted and such.

But that is not a description of most atheists.

Many atheists (it wouldn't surprise me to find out it's most of them) are deconverts, which means they already found religious faith wanting as an epistemology, and probably left that faith at considerable personal pain / cost. I think this comes as a surprise to most theists, who seem to view atheists as simply ignorant about religion when in fact, many, many of them know more about religion than most theists! Also, believers often can't get their brains around the notion that someone who really understands and practices their faith, wouldn't find it axiomatically satisfactory. But many find it deeply unsatisfactory; they see the problem of unanswered prayer, the various logical conundrums, the problems with the holy book, all of it.

Other atheists have never been believers, but also are completely baffled by religious faith and cannot understand why anyone would buy into it. Such people are born, it seems, with better bullshit filters and a firmer resistance to confirmation bias and agency inference, and usually a deeper commitment to empirical / rational thought.

There's a subset that's a mix of the above two, who grew up in a believing household but never really bought into it deeply, and upon entering adult life, immediately went their own way.

There's a group that was committed to theism in childhood but was disabused of the validity of those views by higher education and exposure to a variety of people outside their religious bubble of origin.

What most theists seem to be guilty of is assuming the atheists are not a varied bunch and all have the same motivations that are flattering to theism (in other words we're all motivated by a desire to be libertines or perverts, or are expressing irrational / ignorant anger at god, or simply don't understand the One True Faith). Also they seem to think we are an anti-religion when in fact that would be like calling a person who doesn't speak French, to be anti-French rather than simply "not from France".
[+] 7 users Like mordant's post
18-03-2017, 03:58 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue

I work in a hospital. I've never once seen it happen. Never.
It's total bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2017, 03:59 PM
(18-03-2017 03:43 PM)mordant Wrote:  Consider someone who grew up ignorant of religion, who had never even considered belief in any deities, who had led a fairly charmed life and then suddenly runs into some horrific tragedy, and then at this vulnerable moment a kindly believer offers the faux comfort of their faith-based beliefs. I would almost be surprised if such a person did NOT convert, particularly if they are prone to be easily guilted and such.

But that is not a description of most atheists.
[Image: reverts2.jpg]