An atheist becomes a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 05:35 AM
RE: An atheist becomes a believer
(19-03-2017 05:30 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 10:28 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I've been in a lot of crises. I've never prayed for help. I was too busy extricating myself from the crisis.
Lol! And guess what. Theists are also busy extricating themselves from crises, and on top of it they are distracted by the need to pray. Beyond that, they are conditioned to not give themselves credit for their own self-mastery because if they manage to get out of whatever mess they are in, they are conditioned to associate that result with god's intervention because of prayer.

Self-ratifying nonsense is SUCH a burden in a crisis. I can tell you that from personal experience. Things are MUCH better without it.

> My father was a highly-skilled tool engineer and clever businessman. He started his own Tool & Die business in the basement and was worth several million dollars when he died. And yet, he attributed all his success to being a faithful, church-going Christian.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
19-03-2017, 05:42 AM
(19-03-2017 05:35 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > My father was a highly-skilled tool engineer and clever businessman. He started his own Tool & Die business in the basement and was worth several million dollars when he died. And yet, he attributed all his success to being a faithful, church-going Christian.
As a fundamentalist I was heavily conditioned to reflexively avoid any public credit for my own efforts, because that was not "giving all glory to god" and was equated with boastful pride. One lone pastor I sat under pointed out that the verse that says "a man should not think more highly of himself than he ought" can be literally translated "a man should have a sane self-estimation" and that this allowed for accepting rational credit for one's own efforts so long as you realize your very abilities come from god ultimately. But this was the beginning of the end for me of "giving glory to god" because I saw the circularity of the argument, and I saw the rampant self-abnegation and faux humility all around me. People KNEW they had worked hard for something, but couldn't say it or acknowledge it. It was patently dishonest and hypocritical.

Taking healthy self-esteem from things you earn by your own efforts is not even remotely the same thing as being an asshole self-promoter. But as a believer we could not see that.
[+] 8 users Like mordant's post
19-03-2017, 08:31 AM
It should be noted that the figure for atheists in dimaniac's linked graph are not Pew Research numbers, but as raw data (uncleaned) provided to them by CARA (Center for Applied Research in The Apostolate) which is a Catholic religious organisation based in Washington DC.

The 30% figure is therefore specious.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
19-03-2017, 08:33 AM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  "Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this?

Unsubstantiated personal opinion. Don't even waste time considering it.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-03-2017, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 09:26 AM by JesseB.)
(18-03-2017 11:54 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've prayed twice in my life, I think. Once when I was a nervous wreck of a teenager, over getting in trouble at school for the first time ever. I prayed to "whoever was listening" to not let the teachers be too mean to me.

Much later, just so I could say I've done it, I prayed again to whoever is listening for world peace and an end to suffering.

That's as far as my religious career is ever going to go, unless my mind stops working properly. I guess such vultures would even take dementia patients converting as a win.

(18-03-2017 02:01 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Rob.... You're liking that post makes it seem almost like you find my distress entertaining......

Thank you Smile at least I can be entertaining!

Aww Heart No I found your way of presenting your distress as entertaining entertaining Big Grin

Lol well that is the real point now innit?

Life is shit. Then you die. It's meaningless and absurd....

You know what else is meaningless and absurd? Laughter.

I prefer laughter. So why not laugh in the face of distress, suffering, pain?

That's what I think anyway. I got no complaints Smile
(And like most good answers, the place mine began was why not. The beginning of so many wild and fun adventures.)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
20-03-2017, 09:40 AM
(19-03-2017 09:14 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Life is shit. Then you die. It's meaningless and absurd....

You know what else is meaningless and absurd? Laughter.

I prefer laughter. So why not laugh in the face of distress, suffering, pain?

Always look on the bright side of life

For life is quite absurd,
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin -- give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it, it's the last chance anyhow!

So always look on the bright side of death!
Just before you draw your terminal breath.
Life's a piece of shit,
When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand always look on the bright side of life...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-03-2017, 07:13 PM
(18-03-2017 03:59 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 03:43 PM)mordant Wrote:  Consider someone who grew up ignorant of religion, who had never even considered belief in any deities, who had led a fairly charmed life and then suddenly runs into some horrific tragedy, and then at this vulnerable moment a kindly believer offers the faux comfort of their faith-based beliefs. I would almost be surprised if such a person did NOT convert, particularly if they are prone to be easily guilted and such.

But that is not a description of most atheists.
[Image: reverts2.jpg]

From that chart, one may clearly conclude that 70% of those raised as atheists go on to become Mormons. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
21-03-2017, 07:18 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue

My first question is, in what context was the comment made -- what was being discussed?

Second question: where did your classmate come by his/her information?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
21-03-2017, 09:31 PM
It can be true.

I do know that for a fact, personally, as many of you here well know. An atheist can convert to a believer. Of course how would you prove a thing like that to another atheist? You really can't. They generally just assume you lost your shit and quitely/ politely play along to get along from there. People do, at very least, mentally note ones own actions and words though.

peace

faith in selfless unity for good
21-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Name one adult atheist who converted that you know personally.

I know I can't.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post