An atheist becomes a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 07:00 AM
RE: An atheist becomes a believer
(21-03-2017 09:37 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Name one adult atheist who converted that you know personally.

I know I can't.

> As a life member in American Atheists I have met and spoken with literally hundreds of atheists who are former theists. Over the past three decades, I have yet to meet an atheist who converted to any religion. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
22-03-2017, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2017 01:07 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(22-03-2017 07:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > As a life member in American Atheists I have met and spoken with literally hundreds of atheists who are former theists. Over the past three decades, I have yet to meet an atheist who converted to any religion. Cool

You didn't know, since the discussion about it was in the Amazon God Delusion forum, but Kenyon (who also posted at the Atheist forum) was a self-proclaimed atheist who converted back to Judaism. However, in my experience (including of him), such people have a rather limited idea of what atheism really is.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Is it more people being Theists first, then atheists then back to theist?

IE: I've never been a theist, and converting seems like a terrible idea to me lol.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
22-03-2017, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 07:52 AM by treefireguy.)
An atheist becomes a believer
I have looked down the barrel of a loaded gun thrice. Drowned once, almost burned to death several times. Had a parachute malfunction and almost bought the farm on that one. I have had 7 surgeries (the last one being by far the worst (spine reconstruction.--no fucking joke). and been knocked out more then once by heavy fire hoses and machinery. AND had a rappelling rope I was on break, plummeting me to most certain doom. But I made it anyway. Still here, livin the atheist life. Never once have I even considered becoming religious. Not once. Religion is bullshit. If I utter the word prey, it means I'm hunting you. So BOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 7 users Like treefireguy's post
22-03-2017, 09:25 PM
(22-03-2017 07:32 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(22-03-2017 07:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > As a life member in American Atheists I have met and spoken with literally hundreds of atheists who are former theists. Over the past three decades, I have yet to meet an atheist who converted to any religion. Cool

You didn't know, since the discussion about it was in the Amazon God Delusion forum, but Kenyon (who also posted at the Atheist forum) was a self-proclaimed atheist who converted back to Judaism. However, in my experience (including of him), such people have a rather limited idea of what atheism really is.

> If such a person has limited ideas of what atheism is, I would tend to doubt that they were ever atheists in the first place.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
22-03-2017, 09:49 PM
(22-03-2017 09:25 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(22-03-2017 07:32 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  You didn't know, since the discussion about it was in the Amazon God Delusion forum, but Kenyon (who also posted at the Atheist forum) was a self-proclaimed atheist who converted back to Judaism. However, in my experience (including of him), such people have a rather limited idea of what atheism really is.

> If such a person has limited ideas of what atheism is, I would tend to doubt that they were ever atheists in the first place.

You know, I've met folks who make that claim too. Once I asked one to clarify what he meant, he went on this long rambling tail of gibberish and I was like.... but.... did you ever like say god does not exist or you don't think one exists?? he replied ... no. (Then you were never an Atheist!)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
22-03-2017, 10:38 PM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue

It's bullshit. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-03-2017, 03:43 AM
There are very sound reasons to be an atheist. Those reasons don't suddenly disappear in an extreme situation. So if someone genuinely abandons those reasons, it just shows how the brain can become bery illogical if you stress it out enough.

If that's the kind of thing people are using for "evidence" these days...

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-03-2017, 04:24 AM
I'm an atheist who recently became a believer of religion.

I now believe that religion is bullshit, and those who practice it are ignorant, spineless twits.

But hey, it's a belief.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Wishing to not die and believing an a God or an afterlife are two completely different things. I doubt I will be dreaming of golden gates of Heaven as I shuffle off this mortal coil and I doubt I will be expecting the white beaches of Valinor either.You can actually believe in an afterlife without believing in a God and you could always believe in reincarnation with requires no God belief.

If someone who is in the midst of death finds comfort in a belief in some imagined afterlife then they can go ahead and comfort themselves with fantasy, that doesn't in any way prove a God actually exists or any kind of afterlife. We all like to believe in things that aren't true to feel better, all humans day dream and it can be a great defense mechanism but it's not proof of anything and certainly not a good reason to bring up in defense of any such beliefs.

I would ask if it would at all be a waste of a life to prepare for an afterlife that won't ever come to pass. Is it ok to live as a programmed robot just in case Jesus is real and he requires your blind faith and adherence to dumb outdated rules to enter his paradise? I'd rather in the moment of death have no regrets and memories of a live will lived flooding my mind than consider an afterlife but even if I did (I would choose something way better than any biblical Heaven ruled over by a tyrant) then at least I didn't spend my whole life worrying about it until it mattered...and even then that doesn't make it true and I would still reject the God claim.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post