An atheist becomes a believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 12:45 AM
RE: An atheist becomes a believer
What I find bizarre is the implication some people make (possibly without realizing it) that whether or not there is an afterlife depends on whether you believe there is one.

Personally, I don't want one, unless it's something I could have complete control over. Anything else, and I'd rather be dust than to endure it forever. But that has no bearing on whether there is one, or not.

Not that the concept makes any sense at all, really. It's just a "what if this fantasy idea was true" scenario that could be applied to any number of ridiculous things. I do understand people clinging to it, because dealing with death can be hard.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
24-03-2017, 04:10 AM
Yesterday as a new atheist I had a crisis with my health condition and found myself wanting to revert to old habits - to pray for a good outcome. However I recognized the futility of it and realized instead just how strong you have to be to know you are not in control of anything, you are just human and there is no God to plead to. I didn't pray. But I did feel myself strengthened and put my faith into the medical system and science and the goodness of humanity in general.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like hayleymayonline's post
24-03-2017, 04:21 AM
(24-03-2017 04:10 AM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  Yesterday as a new atheist I had a crisis with my health condition and found myself wanting to revert to old habits - to pray for a good outcome. However I recognized the futility of it and realized instead just how strong you have to be to know you are not in control of anything, you are just human and there is no God to plead to. I didn't pray. But I did feel myself strengthened and put my trust into the medical system and science and the goodness of humanity in general.

Fixed it for you Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
24-03-2017, 04:35 AM
(24-03-2017 04:10 AM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  Yesterday as a new atheist I had a crisis with my health condition and found myself wanting to revert to old habits - to pray for a good outcome. However I recognized the futility of it and realized instead just how strong you have to be to know you are not in control of anything, you are just human and there is no God to plead to. I didn't pray. But I did feel myself strengthened and put my faith into the medical system and science and the goodness of humanity in general.

Sure, you can't control entirety of your life but nonetheless you have some control over it. From big things like kind of education or job to small like books and food you try.

Also there is no need for putting faith it science as it works regardless of belief. Lastly goodness of humanity in general is something that I have many doubts about. Sure, world is safer that it was in middle ages or even 100 or 200 years prior, but I don't see much goodness with wars, starvation, mass murders or pedophile scandals in churches.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
24-03-2017, 06:27 AM
(21-03-2017 09:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  It can be true.

I do know that for a fact, personally, as many of you here well know. An atheist can convert to a believer. Of course how would you prove a thing like that to another atheist? You really can't. They generally just assume you lost your shit and quitely/ politely play along to get along from there. People do, at very least, mentally note ones own actions and words though.

peace

faith in selfless unity for good

The post said, "will", not "can".

You could have a discussion with someone making that claim. It would be fairly easy to find out what they thought and how they described being an atheist before they converted. But thanks for speaking for all us atheists!Angry
27-03-2017, 12:41 AM
(18-03-2017 12:14 PM)Jokurix Wrote:  Today in a classroom discussion one of my classmates said the following:

"Atheists become believers when they're in moments of distress. For example, an atheist will start questioning if God really exists and even become a believer when he's about to die."

What do you think of this? Tongue
I've been about-to-die several times. I never gave it any thought. I was always too busy working out how to continue living.

Sapere aude
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
27-03-2017, 07:22 AM
I don't turn to leprechauns or pray to unicorns in times of stress, why would an imaginary god be any different ?

Did I suffer some kind of brain trauma that damaged the part of my brain that regulates gullibility ?

Did I suddenly not understand how reality works ?
Did I lose all sense of reason & critical thinking ?

Forget times of stress.
All believers become atheists after they die.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
28-03-2017, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 04:56 AM by Vera.)
(27-03-2017 07:22 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All believers become atheists after they die.

I vehemently wish all those who kill in the name of their people-loving, peaceful religions, can come back to life after they've died, having found out that this is it, there are no virgins and angels with harps waiting for them there, that they will be completely gone once they're dead and that their entire life was a monumental lie and staggering waste. I can imagine no better (and more deserved) punishment than the sheer horror this would feel them with.

Ah, one can wish...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-03-2017, 04:58 AM
(21-03-2017 09:37 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Name one adult atheist who converted that you know personally.

I note that popsthebuilder chose to conveniently ignore addressing this question. Just like all the other questions directed towards him that require actual evidence, and which he can't provide. The guy's a fraud.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(28-03-2017 04:58 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 09:37 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Name one adult atheist who converted that you know personally.

I note that popsthebuilder chose to conveniently ignore addressing this question. Just like all the other questions directed towards him that require actual evidence, and which he can't provide. The guy's a fraud.

Oh I have no doubt that poopyboulderhead went from atheist to believer, in what nobody, including him, is exactly sure. He found God in a radio signal dead zone in the middle of the desert. All sorts of crazy shit lie in wait in them dead zones.

#sigh