An atheist on Christian Forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2014, 02:14 PM
An atheist on Christian Forums
This thread was posted on another atheist forum. I think it was the Ex-Christian forum.

This is the old classic Epicurean Paradox question posed by a Dr Truth who is atheist on the Christian Forum. He doesn't let the topic wander or allow the christian posters to change the question or wiggle out of things. I think he really nailed it. This is about 15 pages long but I thought you might enjoy Dr Truth and his/her persistence on the matter.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7686721/

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2014, 02:20 PM
RE: An atheist on Christian Forums
So many adverts on that forum.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
26-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Meh. Watching people go back and forth about the same old arguments over and over gets kind of old. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the same arguments lol. Kinda wish there were new arguments, but even then, when new stuff pops up, it seems to be the same old stuff.

That and that forum is like reading a terrible email where one of your coworkers had horribly colored signatures with incredibly large, bolded text.

Body:
"Here's my size 11 Calibri text. I never type more than 30 words since I'm so intellectually engrossed in this community."

Signature below:
BLAH BLAH SOMETHING JESUS IS GREAT AND NOW YOU CAN'T IGNORE THIS ENTIRE SIGNATURE. BOLD MAKES IT MORE POWERFUL. FEEL THE POWER OF JEEBUS! ALSO, DIFFERENT COLORS BECAUSE I FIGURED OUT THE INTERWEBS. ALSO, I LIKE TO CAUSE PEOPLE EYESTRAIN. ~bibleverse something:something

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
26-01-2014, 02:49 PM
(26-01-2014 02:24 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Meh. Watching people go back and forth about the same old arguments over and over gets kind of old. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the same arguments lol. Kinda wish there were new arguments, but even then, when new stuff pops up, it seems to be the same old stuff.

That and that forum is like reading a terrible email where one of your coworkers had horribly colored signatures with incredibly large, bolded text.

Body:
"Here's my size 11 Calibri text. I never type more than 30 words since I'm so intellectually engrossed in this community."

Signature below:
BLAH BLAH SOMETHING JESUS IS GREAT AND NOW YOU CAN'T IGNORE THIS ENTIRE SIGNATURE. BOLD MAKES IT MORE POWERFUL. FEEL THE POWER OF JEEBUS! ALSO, DIFFERENT COLORS BECAUSE I FIGURED OUT THE INTERWEBS. ALSO, I LIKE TO CAUSE PEOPLE EYESTRAIN. ~bibleverse something:something

One of the things the atheist does in this thread is remain focused on the question. In most on line debates things fall into a huge argument with name calling and the topic meanders off into other areas. This guy keeps it on topic throughout and that's where the believers get stuck. The christian try to re phrase the question but Dr Truth forces them back to the original question. The believers are cornered and can't get out of it. It's a very enjoyable read for a Sunday. I'm surprised the moderators didn't shut it down mid way.

I look past all the stupid advertisements.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
26-01-2014, 03:06 PM
I couldn't bear to read any more about the time the special snowflake convinced himself/herself that there was no paradox present. There obviously is and it's irritating that people keep going around in crazy circles like this.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post
26-01-2014, 04:15 PM
(26-01-2014 02:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 02:24 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Meh. Watching people go back and forth about the same old arguments over and over gets kind of old. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the same arguments lol. Kinda wish there were new arguments, but even then, when new stuff pops up, it seems to be the same old stuff.

Body:

Signature below:

One of the things the atheist does in this thread is remain focused on the question. In most on line debates things fall into a huge argument with name calling and the topic meanders off into other areas. This guy keeps it on topic throughout and that's where the believers get stuck. The christian try to re phrase the question but Dr Truth forces them back to the original question. The believers are cornered and can't get out of it. It's a very enjoyable read for a Sunday. I'm surprised the moderators didn't shut it down mid way.

I look past all the stupid advertisements.

He remained fixated on it, yes. However, the answers he got are the same old crap.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
26-01-2014, 07:38 PM
It entertained me and I was proud of how vigilant he was with making them stick to the question. I also liked how he "learned" new paradoxes and said he was learning so much more about faith. Beautiful.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2014, 09:10 PM
(26-01-2014 02:20 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  So many adverts on that forum.

Yeah, I found it literally impossible to read more than two posts in that thread. If it weren't for the September 2012 date-stamps on all the posts, I'd assume it was from the late 90's.
26-01-2014, 09:44 PM
At least one of the responses he received was honest.

crimsonleaf Wrote:As a Christian I think some of the answers to the OP have been disingenuous and evasive. Certainly some have tried to answer a different question.

So let's try to be honest. What is presented here is, and always has been, a question of great debate. I'll agree that it poses problems, and all I can sensibly say is that we don't know how God thinks. There are bigger questions still - why did he create us in the first place? He doesn't NEED anything, including our love or devotion. God needs nothing.

But he did create us. My belief in God doesn't hinge on the answer to the OP. God's plans are a genuine mystery to me, and I strongly suspect to everyone else too.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
26-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I actually saw a perspective on hell I wasn't aware of. The poster claimed it is the Eastern Orthodox Church teaching, and a quick search confirms this. Heaven and hell are the same place, and all are in the presence of god. God's love there is an all consuming fire. The faithful revel in god's love while the damned are scourged by it. There is no physical torment, only some kind of mental torture knowing that you rejected such love.

Still ridiculous, but a different perspective from eternal torment or just eternal separation from god. More evidence that the bible is so confusing and contradictory that you can make it say almost anything.