An atheist reads the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 02:03 PM
An atheist reads the bible
So I've been thinking that while I think I've read all of the bible it has been piecemeal over the years and I really should sit down and read it start to finish. If I'm going to use parts of it in arguments I'd like to be able to say with certainty that I have read it all.

That got me thinking about how to make it less painful and maybe get some extra value from the process so I'm considering making it a blog. The idea wouldn't be to argue the points so much as to record a kind of running commentary on how a non-believer sees the text. I'm not a biblical scholar by any means so I'd be taking the text mostly at face value and maybe bringing in some outside info on specific points.

Any of you heathens have any thoughts or suggestions? Any interested in participating? It wouldn't be a time-specific thing, I'd just be taking a chapter at a time and posting each as I got to them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: An atheist reads the bible
You know what the Bible says. I wonder what it is you think you're going to find that's any different than you already know. At any rate, consider the fact that the Gospels of the New Testament are not like the rest of the Bible. They are full of all kinds of symbolism and riddles to be figured out. When you get to them, I'd love to read your blog posts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2014, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 03:03 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-12-2014 02:18 PM)Gordon Wrote:  You know what the Bible says. I wonder what it is you think you're going to find that's any different than you already know. At any rate, consider the fact that the Gospels of the New Testament are not like the rest of the Bible. They are full of all kinds of symbolism and riddles to be figured out. When you get to them, I'd love to read your blog posts.

And of course, YOU have it all figured out, cuz a deity just HAS to be "tricky" so some *special people* can make *special claims*.
Yeah right.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-12-2014, 05:08 PM
(25-12-2014 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So I've been thinking that while I think I've read all of the bible it has been piecemeal over the years and I really should sit down and read it start to finish. If I'm going to use parts of it in arguments I'd like to be able to say with certainty that I have read it all.

That got me thinking about how to make it less painful and maybe get some extra value from the process so I'm considering making it a blog. The idea wouldn't be to argue the points so much as to record a kind of running commentary on how a non-believer sees the text. I'm not a biblical scholar by any means so I'd be taking the text mostly at face value and maybe bringing in some outside info on specific points.

Any of you heathens have any thoughts or suggestions? Any interested in participating? It wouldn't be a time-specific thing, I'd just be taking a chapter at a time and posting each as I got to them.

I would do the same the thing myself if (1) I had more time, and didn't have a bunch of other reading projects going, (2) had a better computer (mine is old and slow and barely works at all on the internet), and (3) knew how to set up a blog.

But I might be able to find time for the reading part, and would try to participate in your blog if it happens.
25-12-2014, 05:25 PM
(25-12-2014 05:08 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I would do the same the thing myself if (1) I had more time, and didn't have a bunch of other reading projects going, (2) had a better computer (mine is old and slow and barely works at all on the internet), and (3) knew how to set up a blog.

But I might be able to find time for the reading part, and would try to participate in your blog if it happens.

Thanks; I don't actually expect it to take a lot of time in that it'll be just a chapter at a time and there's no rush or deadlines. If you, or anybody, is interested what I can do is email the text of each chapter with my comments and we'd merge notes for the next post. Another option would just be for people to comment on the posts after I put them up. I'm open to other ideas as well.

I'm going to get a few chapters lined up and shop around for a decent site so it may be a bit before it starts anyway.

26-12-2014, 01:24 AM
It's not a bad idea, still doable from many perspectives and angles. I would say though if you've never seen it, a formerly active member now occasional poperby member BuddyChrist did a book in a format like that after starting it by posts on here in a bloggy manner. The thread is still stickyied, it's at least worth a good glance if you don't want to parse a lot of text.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-12-2014, 07:49 AM
(26-12-2014 01:24 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's not a bad idea, still doable from many perspectives and angles. I would say though if you've never seen it, a formerly active member now occasional poperby member BuddyChrist did a book in a format like that after starting it by posts on here in a bloggy manner. The thread is still stickyied, it's at least worth a good glance if you don't want to parse a lot of text.

Thanks, I had seen that as well as other similar ones. I hadn't thought this was an original idea by any means. As I said, the main point is for me to be sure I have read it all (at least one version anyway).

I'm thinking I'll try to give the text as much benefit of the doubt as I can and maybe keep a running tally of good ideas, bad ideas, etc. Still working out the details which is why I'm asking for suggestions.

26-12-2014, 08:22 AM
(25-12-2014 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So I've been thinking that while I think I've read all of the bible it has been piecemeal over the years and I really should sit down and read it start to finish. If I'm going to use parts of it in arguments I'd like to be able to say with certainty that I have read it all.

Bible study! I’m in.

(Can we skip the family tree stuff though?, I don’t want to have to cut my veins.)

It would be great if we could get docskeptic to check up on us now and then, no one knows the Bible like he does.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-12-2014, 08:47 AM
(26-12-2014 01:24 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's not a bad idea, still doable from many perspectives and angles. I would say though if you've never seen it, a formerly active member now occasional poperby member BuddyChrist did a book in a format like that after starting it by posts on here in a bloggy manner. The thread is still stickyied, it's at least worth a good glance if you don't want to parse a lot of text.

Buddy Christ does a sensational job with this, I don’t know if we could do any better. I just finished reading his Genesis and Exodus and I’m already tired of the ridiculousness of the whole thing. But, I’m still in.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-12-2014, 10:50 AM
(26-12-2014 08:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Bible study! I’m in.

(Can we skip the family tree stuff though?, I don’t want to have to cut my veins.)

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting that the begats will be skimmed and condensed a bit. They do take mind-numbing to a new level.
Thumbsup