An atheist reads the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 12:20 PM
RE: An atheist reads the bible
All,

A number of issues have been raised here since my previous post.

Simply put, God wants servants to do His will to reap rewards. God has many people, good and evil both (and both character qualities within the same individuals, too) that do His bidding to prove Himself to us. For the majority of people who are theists, it's as simple as "Thank God you're here!" or "Thank God X happened because of you." I think you're overcomplicating things.

Also, off that list of Bible students we left off Hitler, Marx and etc. So? Just because one understands the Bible doesn't mean one does what it says.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2015, 08:37 AM
(25-12-2014 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So I've been thinking that while I think I've read all of the bible it has been piecemeal over the years and I really should sit down and read it start to finish.
Starting a sentence with a conjunction does make it a bit hard for me to understand you, I'm afraid.

Quote:An atheist reads the bible
Atheism is not incompatible with an appreciation of the Divine. All too often a superficial, theist belief in God may be no more than an idolatrous image of thought that obscures the true Divine.

Quote:If I'm going to use parts of it in arguments I'd like to be able to say with certainty that I have read it all.
The most dangerous idolatrous images of God aren't those carved in stone or wood, but those built of imagination.

Quote:That got me thinking about how to make it less painful and maybe get some extra value from the process so I'm considering making it a blog.

There are more important things in life than how to make it less painful.

Quote: The idea wouldn't be to argue the points so much as to record a kind of running commentary on how a non-believer sees the text.

I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you. <-2>1 Corinthians ch.1 v.10<0>

Quote:I'm not a biblical scholar by any means so I'd be taking the text mostly at face value and maybe bringing in some outside info on specific points.

No?Why is that?

Quote:Any of you heathens have any thoughts or suggestions? Any interested in participating?
Is that supposed to be a rhetorical question?

Quote: It wouldn't be a time-specific thing,
Could you elaborate?

Quote: I'd just be taking a chapter at a time and posting each as I got to them.
I am inclined to think that all Theist faiths are more prone to this idolatry. That is one reason why I find Buddhist and Taoist conceptions of the divine so appealing.
Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 10:40 AM
To which/what idolatry, please? I don't follow you.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2015, 11:11 AM
(13-01-2015 08:37 AM)Faisal Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 02:03 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So I've been thinking that while I think I've read all of the bible it has been piecemeal over the years and I really should sit down and read it start to finish.
Starting a sentence with a conjunction does make it a bit hard for me to understand you, I'm afraid.

I'm not surprised. Bold, colored text gives a distinct impression as well.

Quote:
Quote:An atheist reads the bible
Atheism is not incompatible with an appreciation of the Divine. All too often a superficial, theist belief in God may be no more than an idolatrous image of thought that obscures the true Divine.

I'm an atheist. I have no belief that there is anything "divine".

Quote:
Quote:If I'm going to use parts of it in arguments I'd like to be able to say with certainty that I have read it all.
The most dangerous idolatrous images of God aren't those carved in stone or wood, but those built of imagination.

I see you have fully mastered the art of the non-sequitur.

Quote:
Quote:That got me thinking about how to make it less painful and maybe get some extra value from the process so I'm considering making it a blog.

There are more important things in life than how to make it less painful.

Not in this particular case.

Quote:
Quote:The idea wouldn't be to argue the points so much as to record a kind of running commentary on how a non-believer sees the text.

I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you. <-2>1 Corinthians ch.1 v.10<0>

What does god need with a starship? -- James T Kirk

Quote:
Quote:I'm not a biblical scholar by any means so I'd be taking the text mostly at face value and maybe bringing in some outside info on specific points.

No?Why is that?

Because other things hold more interest for me.

Quote:
Quote:Any of you heathens have any thoughts or suggestions? Any interested in participating?
Is that supposed to be a rhetorical question?

Not at all.

Quote:
Quote: It wouldn't be a time-specific thing,
Could you elaborate?

I meant that I'm in no rush so if people wanted to participate but couldn't spend a lot of time on it that was fine. We could stretch it out as long as it took.

Quote:
Quote: I'd just be taking a chapter at a time and posting each as I got to them.
I am inclined to think that all Theist faiths are more prone to this idolatry.

Do you mean blasphemy? There is nothing idolatrous about this project.

Quote:That is one reason why I find Buddhist and Taoist conceptions of the divine so appealing.

They do have some attractive ideas but they are still based on unproven assertions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user