An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
06-08-2011, 03:10 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
I always got the impression that Paul had masochistic tendencies. He just loved being punished, loved the suffering. More than anything else the suffering is most import part in the eyes of Paul.

I'm sure he would do stuff as a kid just to get flogged and get his rocks off.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
[Image: 17920_Philippians_1_t_sm.jpg]

Another letter from Paul to a random group of people. Should be enthralling.

This letter has the same tone and message of all the other ones, which is it has sort of a cult vibe. Like a leader handing out cups of special Kool-Aid to his followers, going "the glorious day of ascension is upon us." Paul praises Jesus and advises everyone to rejoice and maintain their goodness because Jesus is coming back any day now. ("The Lord is at hand.") Then he shows his masochist nature again:

1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

-It is your duty as Christians to suffer and be persecuted... preferable while pinching your nipples and asking for more.

2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

-Kneeling, worshiping, giving praise to their ruler, fear, trembling, submission. I'm guessing individualism, pride, and self-respect aren't respected values in Christianity. After all, pride cometh before the fall.

3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

-No confidence in the flesh... change our vile body. Paul, and consequently Christians, seem to despise themselves. Self-loathing... hatred of this life while looking forward to the afterlife. Seems to be pretty obvious why this religion appeals to the fat, the stupid, and the poor. Self-improvement would take effort, so let's focus instead of the glory of the life AFTER this one.

Likewise, alcoholism isn't a chemical addiction requiring will power and disciple to quit, it's a disease that we are helpless against. (Alcoholics Anonymous is a religious program for those unfamiliar with the reference)

Christianity: the easy approach to life's difficult problems

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
11-08-2011, 02:12 AM
[Image: colossians-subpage.jpg]

Letters, letters, and more letters. I'm already bored and hoping Paul's epistles don't make up the entirety of the New Testament. I'm sure this seems magical to believers because the letters are ancient, so they have an aura of divine authority to them, but picture a modern day version of the same thing. An email from Brent to the Russians. Evangelical tripe, how magical.

This is also another one of those letters that is believed to have been actually written later by a follower claiming to be Paul.

1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

-Christians love the blood of Jesus. In a gross, cannibal cultist manner. There are all kinds of Christian songs with lyrics like, "I am showered in his blood" and "are you washed in the blood of the lamb?"

1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

-God made us in his image... his invisible, featureless image.

1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

-Another way of stating the previous passages about ALL things being created by God. Evil, hatred, suffering, sin, disease, disaster, hunger, malice... all things, places, and ideas were created by God.

1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

-Jesus didn't quite suffer enough, so Paul claims to suffer for all the leftover suffering that needs to be done. 20 bucks says Paul owns a pair of leather pants and a ball gag.

2:3 In (Christ) are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

-I've never stopped to consider this. Jesus is always attributed with being the pinnacle of goodness and love. But never have I heard anyone try and argue that Jesus was the smartest man ever. Not just a smart man, he would have to know everything about everything. And yet "smart" is not a word I would use to classify Jesus of Nazareth. The wisest thing he said was to love your neighbor... and that's just well-wishing. You could hardly call that intellectual. He left us with no mathematical formulas or medicinal cures or perfect political ideologies. He just spit in the eyes of a few blind folk and left.

2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

-Philo Sophy, love of wisdom. No wonder it's frowned upon. After all, the smartest sheep may wonder off the path to the slaughterhouse.

2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

-After dismissing circumcision and OT laws for the 107th time, Paul dismissed the need to observe the Sabbath. Saint Paul; throwing out all the rules with absolutely no acknowledgment or approval from God.

3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God

-Business as usual.

4:16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

-Lost epistles of the Holy Handbook.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
21-08-2011, 08:11 AM
(10-05-2011 09:42 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  11:1 And it came to pass, after the year was expired, at the time when kings go forth to battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the children of Ammon, and besieged Rabbah.

-Is there any context in any scenario where the killing of children is righteous or moral? Perhaps if they are all demon spawn, like Children of the Damned. But seriously, "And they destroyed the children" ... anyone who claims the Bible is a moral guide should be immediately slapped in the face from this point on.

I believe what is meant by killing the "children of Ammon" is that they killed the Ammonite people, not just targeting their children but massacring them as a whole. Genocide is okay as long as they're not "God's people".
21-08-2011, 02:56 PM
(21-08-2011 08:11 AM)That Guy Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 09:42 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  11:1 And it came to pass, after the year was expired, at the time when kings go forth to battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the children of Ammon, and besieged Rabbah.

-Is there any context in any scenario where the killing of children is righteous or moral? Perhaps if they are all demon spawn, like Children of the Damned. But seriously, "And they destroyed the children" ... anyone who claims the Bible is a moral guide should be immediately slapped in the face from this point on.

I believe what is meant by killing the "children of Ammon" is that they killed the Ammonite people, not just targeting their children but massacring them as a whole. Genocide is okay as long as they're not "God's people".

So, basically, this meant they ALSO killed the adults. Wasn't that merciful of God, not forcing those parents to have to go through the horror of losing a child!
21-08-2011, 04:47 PM
(21-08-2011 02:56 PM)Sines Wrote:  
(21-08-2011 08:11 AM)That Guy Wrote:  

So, basically, this meant they ALSO killed the adults. Wasn't that merciful of God, not forcing those parents to have to go through the horror of losing a child!

Actually, God's instructions about conquering the Promised Land are even worse:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18 (NIV)

16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God. [Emphasis added]

Do not leave alive anything that breathes! Not even the animals. Guess the cows and sheep and goats and puppies and kittens were sinners too.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
22-08-2011, 10:00 AM
(13-07-2011 02:10 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
Moral of Acts? The Jews are spiteful creatures who only wish to kill the righteous.

Is it just me or does everyone else always think of the scene in South Park's "The Passion of the Jew" with Kyle and various Jews all hissing and saying "Kill Jesus!".

and while on the topic of Jewry and being that there has been a lack of Monty Python referenced as of late, here's a little philosophical tidbit to take with you. "Cause you see I feel that life's a game. You sometimes win or lose. And though I may be down right now at least I don't work for Jews." (Monty Python's The Meaning of Life)
22-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Forgive me if this has already been pointed out - I'm not going through 14 pages of comments to find out - but are you familiar with the Skeptics' Anotated Bible? It already provides a very extensive critique of the bible by atheists. You may also notice in the heading of that page that there is also a Skeptics' Anotated Q'uran and Book of Mormon.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2011, 02:20 PM
He's actually reading the Skeptic's Annotated Bible. Sometimes he quotes them when he feels he can't improve on it, or they're providing information he didn't know.
22-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I find this critique funny too, I find myself chuckling out loud sometimes Smile other times I want to puke, but that's just the lovely bible.