An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
22-08-2011, 03:03 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
(22-08-2011 10:49 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Forgive me if this has already been pointed out - I'm not going through 14 pages of comments to find out - but are you familiar with the Skeptics' Anotated Bible? It already provides a very extensive critique of the bible by atheists. You may also notice in the heading of that page that there is also a Skeptics' Anotated Q'uran and Book of Mormon.

(22-08-2011 02:20 PM)Sines Wrote:  He's actually reading the Skeptic's Annotated Bible. Sometimes he quotes them when he feels he can't improve on it, or they're providing information he didn't know.

Yes. I mentioned this about 173 pages back, but I'm using the Skeptic's Ann Bible site to read the Bible (it's the King James Version, which is the one I consider "not too altered" and copy/pasting the verses is easier than trying to type from the physical Bible). Then I combine info from google searches, wikipedia, my own rapist wit, and Skept Ann Bible itself if it has a really funny quip that I just can't pass up (though i do try to avoid just using other people's jokes).

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm bored of these stupid letters from Paul, but I'm trying to knock all these out to get to Revelations, one of the most quoted NT books.

[Image: slide-02.jpg]

Hello Thessoalonians! I am Paul, blessed art thou for being Christians! Let's talk about our cool club and how cool we are and condemn those who aren't members.

-The same tone and message of the other epistles. Paul pretty much mass produced these letters and changed around some of the names and details for each city. Which is what makes these so boring.

2:10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:

-Clearly we Christians are flawless and shining examples of divine behavior.

2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:

2:15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:

2:16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

-If you want to overthrow the leading religion, you've got to demonize the competition. Just like politics, "did you know that our opponent supports the spread of super AIDS?" Basically, the early Christians were like modern day Palestinians. The people of Israel are bloodthirsty sadists who delight in the murder of innocents.

2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.

-This is probably around the time of origin that Christians began to use the term "Satan" to attribute blame and cop-out their own shortcomings and laziness to a ultimate scapegoat. I didn't forget to pick up my child from school... Satan clouded my mind and confused me.

4:2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

-Why? What is the deal with Christians and sex? Why would God give us the genital/endorphin trigger combination if he was against it? That's like raising a child on nothing but meth, then when he's 16 put him in a room filled with meth and go, "If you touch any of this, I'll shoot you." The reference to "his vessel" makes me raise an eyebrow as well.

4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

-This would sound just as retarded even if it were a scene from a science fiction book. Jesus will come flying out of the sky with a mighty shout (YAAARRRRRGH!) and a trumpet. Then the Christian zombies will climb out of their graves (let's hope none of them were cremated). Then all the living Christians will apparently jump super high and high five Jesus in midair and then they'll all just float away to cloud city.

5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

-Only with the Christian mindset can you pat yourself on the back and claim to be better than everyone else... because you expect zombies to float up to the sky any day now.

Paul then closes once again by telling everyone to be ready for the day of rapture. I'm still getting that cultist vibe with every letter. Is everyone wear their "robe of ascension" and tinfoil hats? Good. Here's your Kool-Aid of Righteousness, the holy moment will be any day now. What was that? Sorry, I thought I heard angels blowing trumpets.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
26-08-2011, 01:27 AM
[Image: sc-2-thessalonians.jpg]

1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

-"Taking vengeance on them that know not God." So simply not being informed or born in a society that practices Christianity brands you as being deserving of eternal fiery vengeance. The fact that you happen to be born into a Muslim culture through the random roll of life's dice (I don't like the plural "die"), you should burn for eternity.

1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

-"We pray for you" and "our God." Christians get off on being better than everyone. They are the enlightened ones, God's chosen people, and you are all poor filth, who deserve pity for being so foolish and blind.

2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

-Paul completely flips his shit here. He completely reverses everything he previously said about when Jesus would come back, leading many scholars to doubt the authenticity of this epistle. It is believed that this was written after Paul's death to divert and cover up the fact that Jesus didn't return before this generation had passed.

Now, instead of "any day now," this "Paul" says there will first be a great Wicked revealed then destroyed and Satan will demonstrate his power. This "man of sin" mentioned in 2:3 has since been generally accepted in religious circles to be the Antichrist, which is why Christians keep trying to label every malevolent person as such... so that they can convince themselves that the prophecy is finally fulfilled, so Jesus should be coming any day now.

2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

-God will personally lead us astray so that there's no chance for us to be saved. After all, those who are to receive salvation were "chosen from the beginning." So as an atheist, allow me to say, "Thanks God, for creating me with the sole purpose of burning me for eternity. Real loving of you, dick."

3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

-Ah, Christianity. The Cult of Exclusion.

3:16 Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

-Yes, the Lord of peace. Who will soon return to peacefully smite all nonbelievers with a fiery sword of peace as we roast in eternal agony of blood and tears and peace. The same God who peacefully murdered 20 million innocent women and children in his peaceful and loving genocides of the Old Testament. This religion is so fucking stupid and hypocritical, my head may explode.

26-08-2011, 02:48 AM
How much you got left? The epistles are starting to sound like the end of the OT, wherein god meets a dude, talks about how fucking pissed he is, then leaves. Twelve different times. Can the NT really be summed up as...

Story of Jesus (4 times)
Story of Paul
Paul's Letter to X (8 times)
Apocalypse

Cause that's what it's seeming like. Just a lot of contradictory repetition. At least the several times we hear about Jesus he's doing cool things. Paul is just basically bitching on and on about the same thing. Kinda reminds me of myself!
26-08-2011, 08:01 AM
(26-08-2011 02:48 AM)Sines Wrote:  How much you got left? The epistles are starting to sound like the end of the OT, wherein god meets a dude, talks about how fucking pissed he is, then leaves. Twelve different times. Can the NT really be summed up as...

Story of Jesus (4 times)
Story of Paul
Paul's Letter to X (8 times)
Apocalypse

Cause that's what it's seeming like. Just a lot of contradictory repetition. At least the several times we hear about Jesus he's doing cool things. Paul is just basically bitching on and on about the same thing. Kinda reminds me of myself!
At least according to the Wikipedia article, there is a shitload of other stuff before you get to Revelations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament
26-08-2011, 08:24 AM
(26-08-2011 02:48 AM)Sines Wrote:  The epistles are starting to sound like the end of the OT, wherein god meets a dude, talks about how fucking pissed he is, then leaves. Twelve different times.

True. But you get a very different story arc if you read the books in the Jewish order. Jews put the prophetic books, including the Twelve, in the middle, and the "Writings"--Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, etc.--at the end. The last book of the Hebrew Bible is Second Chronicles, which ends on a positive note: King Cyrus liberates the captive Hebrews and lets them return to Jerusalem. The OT, on the other hand, ends with " . . . lest I come and smite the land with a curse." Seems like the Christians didn't want any good news coming right before the Good News.

In terms of the big picture, Jack Miles in God: A Biography (amazing book) characterizes the difference in God's activity as:

OT: Action --> Silence --> Speech
HB: Action --> Speech --> Silence

In other words, in the OT God shuts up for a while, then starts bitching about how fucking pissed he is. In the HB, he bitches for a while, then shuts up and gets out of the way. Choose your poison.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi there, is there any chance this thread will revive from the deads? Big Grin

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
14-10-2011, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 02:09 PM by houseofcantor.)
All the theology in the world? "Multiplying words without knowledge." Big Grin

Thing about the Bible, it ain't really for normal people; it's for witches. Book of the Prophets/ Book of the Witches. Why are they so hot about "witchcraft, idolatry, blaspheme;" other than to protect their racket?

Prophecy and "priests" developed together. All "holy scripture" is basically written by a coven - that's why history can never find exact authorship. There is no exact authorship. What you may not know (cause the priests certainly forgot) is that a prophet is straight insane. That's where "prophecy" comes from - trauma to the brain causes Agency to form from brain to preserve functionality of the mind - it's an evolutionary hack that "works" very, very rarely.

Even then, prophet is just the "otherworldly vibration" a.k.a. insane - but if one "walks in virtue" long enough as a prophet, a coven of priests will gather 'round to provide the "reality element" of this spirit radio. (Just as it is written, dust of the earth, breath of god.)

God is in heaven, and you are on earth, so let your words be few. What does one do? Let the words themselves become less.

Joke's on everybody - it is a science book. If it is tuned with priests to make it a spirit radio, the obvious mechanics is to de-tune the human element; so "god" can be heard.

And it is tao.

I can remember being with Paul at Corinth, why can't you? Witchcraft. Obviously, you're not a witch.

Scholarship is always a worthy human endeavor - i'm not saying anything about that - I'm talking about what else it is. The most successful human technology. "The Wisdom" of the prophets is developed in conjuncture with the priesthood working in reality. It's real stuff if I am able to express myself completely from three lines of scripture.

It is the brain's function in simulating the mind of another that allows the "path of the prophet in life" to be recorded in scripture. If you were wondering how a six hundred page book can stir up such hate and discontent for millenia among millions and still be cherished by the few forever? Now you know. Simulation.
(25-08-2011 11:02 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm bored of these stupid letters from Paul, but I'm trying to knock all these out to get to Revelations, one of the most quoted NT books.

Can't put the genie back in the bottle if you don't got the bottle. Cool

It's all about the Paul, and it all starts with 1Thessalonians. Romans maps it out pretty clear - for a witch anyway. Paul began with three - he ended with three (secrets of witchcraft, to end at the beginning) Paul had knowledge of Jewish law, Holy spirit, and prophets. His remarkable piece of conceptual engineering was "the word, with god, in conception." Priests turned it into trinity. That book was all about YHWH.

I solved it. Here's my "solution set" (one of em' anyway) I work with 4, obviously.
"I am/the way/the truth/the life"
I am - sitll YHWH, 4 is still 4. The way - tao. The truth - science/philosophy. The life - the Moral Will.

I have not come to change the science, I have come to fulfill the science.

Thread of prophecy goes straight to Mohammed from Paul, in my reckoning. Church "rewired scripture" so that no new prophets would form from Christianity - but ya can't stop emergence.

John was just some guy in a cave having a bad trip off of some mushrooms.Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2011, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2011 01:32 AM by Buddy Christ.)
I'm sitting here all jacked up on caffeine with nothing to do and I figure it's about time to pull this out of the dusty pile and finish it off. Let's see if I still remember how to do these.

[Image: sc-1-timothy.jpg]

1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

-Another letter from "Paul" who has apparently taken up introducing himself in 3rd person. Needless to say, the authenticity of the letters to Timothy are, like the others, viewed as questionable by scholars.

1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

-Paul trying to explain what still bothers me. People don't seem to realize that 80% of the book that created Christianity was written by a sinner that spoke openly against God and was made blind for his blaspheming. Jesus only hung out with and appeared in post-crucified form to his select group of men... and Paul was not worthy to be in that group. So we're now supposed to believe everything he says because he apparently changed his ways after Jesus was already gone? At no point in the Bible does a godly figure show approval for Paul/Saul or give him the go-ahead to start speaking for him. But I guess it's all to "show sinners how they too can be saved."

2:8 I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

-Paul continues to teach the exact opposite of Jesus, who preached in Matthew to pray in solitude to avoid becoming a hypocrite.

2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

-Women with braided hair, gold, or pearls are whores. And once again, shut up and get back in the kitchen. The Bible; truly the objective moral standard for women's rights.

[Image: bible_god.jpg]

4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

-Apparently vegetarianism is evil, since now Paul claims that not eating meat is a rejection of God's gifts to man. And also, refusing marriage is now evil adding yet another contradiction of Jesus to the list.

4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

-Well fuck. I've been wasting my time with all these trips to the gym. Another example of the "this life is meaningless, the afterlife is all that is important" mindset of Christians. And a little foresight into why there are so many fat, malnutritioned religious southerners.

6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

6:2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

-All slaves should honor their masters, especially if their masters are Christians. And anyone who isn't a Christian is a moron, full of pride and evil.

6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

-Preaches the minister with the multi-million dollar house.

[Image: 7323_151003608847_39212818847_2755489_871248_n.jpg]

6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

-Anything contradicting the Bible, such as science, should be dismissed. Blindly keep the faith, Tim.
[Image: 2-Timothy.png]

If I handed 1st Timothy to someone with a different dialect and told them to rewrite it using their own words, he would produce 2nd Timothy. It's the same thing as the 1st. Perhaps they thought they had lost the first epistle so they tried to rewrite it from scratch a few years later.

2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

-This verse was used by the Catholic Church during the inquisition to justify killing those suspected of heresy. ("Kill them all, for `the Lord knows them that are His'.") (SAB)

In both books of Timothy, Paul talks of the last days of mankind, where sin will be abundant in those perilous times. In 1st Timothy, one type of sinner is "them that defile themselves with mankind" and in 2nd Timothy, the sinners are "without natural affection." Fundamentalists use these verses as condemnation of homosexuality from the New Testament.

08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Suck my fat...

[Image: Screen-shot-2011-07-30-at-9.28.10-PM.png...p;amp;zc=1]

Oh wait, that's TITUS... not... what I was thinking of. Anyways, it's yet another boring letter from "Paul" to some dude.

1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

-Paul's intros appear to be getting more grandiose with each new letter. And God cannot lie? Now you're just speaking gibberish. An all powerful God can do whatever he wants. God could very easily be lying to all of us about this heaven place to get us to do what he wants.

1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

-This "Paul" seems to despise Jews and says they must be stopped from teaching. How quaint.

1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

-Pay no attention to "Jewish fables?" Like the Old Testament? Jews are liars and frauds.

[Image: mohel.jpg]

2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

-Teach women to love their husbands and children? Oh good! Now we're getting somewh...

2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

-...oh. Well we almost had a nice teaching. Be a submissive housewife, so that you don't embarrass God.

2:9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

-Yet another NT commandment condoning slavery. Jesus may not have mentioned anything, but his followers certainly did.

3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

3:3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.

3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

-Once again, you ALMOST said something nice, Paul. If you hadn't thrown in that condescending "be nice to everyone because we Christians were also once lying, sinning, hateful bastards like they were until Christ saved us" part.

The end.

-Why did the facilitators of the New Testament (I assume the Council of Nicea) decide that all these epistles were important enough to be included in the Bible? They are boring, tedious, and teach us nothing. Who really cares what Paul instructed his fellow preachers to do? None of these letters involve Jesus. They are some dude giving pep talks to other dudes. What's the point? Is it filler material? Did they realize that only putting in the gospels and Revelations would be the size of a pamphlet, which isn't impressive enough?