An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
You must have tons of patience. I started doing something of this sort a while back. After reading through it a few times I got really bored. The first time I read through the bible I laughed a lot.

I do like your take on it though, very amusing lol

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 11:07 PM
YES! Thank you for the sticky.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
(05-12-2011 09:47 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Man I'd love to see you do Genesis. Can't wait to read about Noah. And I'm not sure what book it's in but I didn't see anything about Lot. Was it early in the OT?

Lot is in Genesis 19 . Totally disgusting stuff! Lot offers his 2 virgin daughters so that MEN(angels, in fact) hiding in his house will be protected!

"Behold now, I have two daughters that have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing, forasmuch as they are come under the shadow of my roof. "

The Lot's 2 daughters get him drunk and date rape him and both get pregnant.

"come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 33And they made their father drink wine that night: and the first-born went in, and lay with her father; and he knew not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 34And it came to pass on the morrow, that the first-born said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 35And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he knew not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 36Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father."

The inerrant word of god? Too disgusting for this old atheist!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
(04-12-2011 07:35 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Philemon

-One chapter about Paul giving his slave to a friend.

Did you even read this book? It's very short.

It's about an escaped slave named Onesimus. The apostle Paul tells his friend Philemon to accept this slave back as "a dear brother" rather than as a slave and not to punish Onesimus for escaping.

The importance to atheists: While this may appear to be an apologist's source for saying "the bible doesn't endorse slavery", it's exactly the opposite - Paul, in calling the slave-owner Philemon "our dear friend and fellow worker", is a tacit acceptance of this position. While instructing Philemon about what to do about Onesimus, he certainly doesn't lecture Philemon about owning slaves.

Paul had a chance here to say there was something wrong with owning people, and yet he doesn't object to this practice. The special case he makes for Onesimus is because 'he's a Christian, so let him go free now'. I like to point this chapter out to Christians countering our claim that the bible endorses slavery... even after Jesus died and went to Heaven, slavery was still found to be a normal condition that Christians in that era didn't have a problem with.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
08-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I didn't write 21 pages of a review based on guesses, of course I read it. I thought I said the same thing you said in one sentence.

Quote:Paul spends the rest of the chapter on the sole purpose of the letter; Paul returning his slave back to Philemon, his "rightful owner."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
(08-12-2011 02:55 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I didn't write 21 pages of a review based on guesses, of course I read it. I thought I said the same thing you said in one sentence.

Quote:Paul spends the rest of the chapter on the sole purpose of the letter; Paul returning his slave back to Philemon, his "rightful owner."

You're absolutely right. I read that phrase I quoted from your "Conclusion", but now I've read your analysis of Philemon. It was apt. Good job.

My bad.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
28-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Alright, folks. I've got some money saved for self-publishing and I'm starting to assemble all this text into a book. I'm gonna redo Genesis in depth, find a format that makes all these words easier to read, recheck everything I've said to make sure I didn't claim something that's completely incorrect, contact the guy who did skepticsannotatedbible and ask if it's okay to use a few of his quotes if I reference the site, and also write a few more chapters discussing popular rebuttals, my reasons for doing this, and maybe an "About the Author" for the cover sleeve thing (it will be a hardcover with a "dust cover").

Now all I need is:

1. Suggestions from you, the third party reader. I enjoy everything I say because I'm a bit of a narcissist, so if you noticed a part where you kind of flinched at the wording or started nodding off from the monotony, let me know. Yes, I'm using you as a free editor service. If I find myself on Oprah and the book does well, you'll all get .0001% of the profits.

2. Cover art. The biggest reason people buy the books they do, apart from author recognition, is what the book looks like. My sister literally bought a book yesterday because it looked pretty. She claims she can't read. It's a decoration piece. So if any of you are any good at drawing or if you know of an awesome picture I should use, submit it to me. I'll include your real name (Cover Art by so-and-so) and give you an actual piece of the profits... if there are any. Like 5%. 10% if it's exceptionally awesome.

THANKS!!!!!!!exclamationpoint!!!

[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
28-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Excellent! I'd buy it.
Just watch out for those pesky 'death threats' Confused

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
28-12-2011, 09:07 AM
(28-12-2011 02:11 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Alright, folks. I've got some money saved for self-publishing and I'm starting to assemble all this text into a book. I'm gonna redo Genesis in depth, find a format that makes all these words easier to read, recheck everything I've said to make sure I didn't claim something that's completely incorrect, contact the guy who did skepticsannotatedbible and ask if it's okay to use a few of his quotes if I reference the site, and also write a few more chapters discussing popular rebuttals, my reasons for doing this, and maybe an "About the Author" for the cover sleeve thing (it will be a hardcover with a "dust cover").

Now all I need is:

1. Suggestions from you, the third party reader. I enjoy everything I say because I'm a bit of a narcissist, so if you noticed a part where you kind of flinched at the wording or started nodding off from the monotony, let me know. Yes, I'm using you as a free editor service. If I find myself on Oprah and the book does well, you'll all get .0001% of the profits.

2. Cover art. The biggest reason people buy the books they do, apart from author recognition, is what the book looks like. My sister literally bought a book yesterday because it looked pretty. She claims she can't read. It's a decoration piece. So if any of you are any good at drawing or if you know of an awesome picture I should use, submit it to me. I'll include your real name (Cover Art by so-and-so) and give you an actual piece of the profits... if there are any. Like 5%. 10% if it's exceptionally awesome.

THANKS!!!!!!!exclamationpoint!!!

Solid white background. Black cross with the red circle and \ going through it. Title will be 'A Thinkers Critique'.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
28-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Whilst I greatly enjoyed that first post, I disagree with mocking the bible.

The bible is just a series of metaphors and extended proverbs which can be referenced in comparison to life. It's an intriguing hypothesis for early man, a series of suggestions - some of which are good and some of which are bad. Granted, it's now ancient and doesn't strictly apply to the modern age but there's a lot of wisdom to be found in it alongside the stupidity, particularly in the new testament.

If you want to actively go out of your way to pick something apart (which, for me, is kind of silly) then it's not the bible you should attack, it's modern day Christians who try to live by every single rule, notation and guide located in the book rather than just adapting some moral guidance from it.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

-Yoda-