An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
29-12-2011, 02:51 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
(28-12-2011 10:09 PM)Bairny Wrote:  Whilst I greatly enjoyed that first post, I disagree with mocking the bible.

The bible is just a series of metaphors and extended proverbs which can be referenced in comparison to life. It's an intriguing hypothesis for early man, a series of suggestions - some of which are good and some of which are bad. Granted, it's now ancient and doesn't strictly apply to the modern age but there's a lot of wisdom to be found in it alongside the stupidity, particularly in the new testament.

If you want to actively go out of your way to pick something apart (which, for me, is kind of silly) then it's not the bible you should attack, it's modern day Christians who try to live by every single rule, notation and guide located in the book rather than just adapting some moral guidance from it.

The Bible and Christianity deserve as much ridicule as we care to direct at them. Why should we not mock the Bible? 'Cos there's some fairly obvious wisdom along the lines of "don't kill people" included alongside the not so obvious stupidity of "except those who look funny"? It's a poisonous document as BC's extended analysis highlights. Such things need to be mocked, especially since so many people take it so seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2011, 07:23 AM
(12-05-2011 06:33 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(12-05-2011 06:14 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder, are christians reading the same bible we are man? Why aren't they thinking these thoughts and asking these questions?

God only knows mate Smile I come from an entirely religious (moderate) family and when asked the response usually sounds like one of the following;
'The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally'
'It's a mis-translation'
'That's not actually what it means, what it actually means is this [insert statement that doesn't really adhere to the text and could, at best, be described as dubious]'
'Well the bloody/gore is only a small part of the OT, there are a lot of wonderful teachings as well'
'I don't believe that bit' (One of my favourites, still makes me laugh every time)
'Well the Bible stories were passed down for 80+ years before being written down so there are bound to be a few mistakes'

To be honest, I find moderates (although slightly more respectable) far more irritating than fundamentalists. Fundamentalists, as they believe in the absolute word of the Bible, actually have a set position to attack in debates whereas moderates don't and so attacking their position becomes impossible.
Whenever me and a family member get into a religious debate it becomes impossible to attack the rationality of Christianity as the only evidence I can point to is the Bible and they just claim one of the above arguments which leaves their point conveniently invulnerable to any attack. It does my head in. I think that being religious does require a lack of facts or the ability to ridiculously distort them.
He He, Most believers claim that the whole bible is infallible. Obviously that is not true, or we would still be offering animal and human sacrifes daily to god, and stoning women who are raped or commit adultery (the muslims still believe, and do this). When they say the bible is not meant to be taken literally, they might just as well say it is a myth.

When I was a Christian, I was a pacifist.That is what Christ taught me to be! He says that we should even love our enemies. So, other believers inform me that these clear words of Christ below are just metaphors, not to be taken literally.There are no real believers in the bible. It is insanity.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? Matthew 5:43-46

(WARNING: This verse does not really mean that Christians should be pacifists)

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2011, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 07:51 AM by Infidel.)
Sorry this was posted twice because of lag. The forum would not allow me to delete it.

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
29-12-2011, 10:37 AM
(28-12-2011 09:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Solid white background. Black cross with the red circle and \ going through it. Title will be 'A Thinkers Critique'.

I don't want it to look like a bumper sticker. I was thinking of just doing like a hi-def picture of me with a creepy smile holding up a Bible which is on fire. I may need to set several Bibles on fire to get the perfect shot.

That way if the book sucks, at least I'll sell a few copies for shock value.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
29-12-2011, 10:43 AM
(28-12-2011 10:09 PM)Bairny Wrote:  Whilst I greatly enjoyed that first post, I disagree with mocking the bible.

The bible is just a series of metaphors and extended proverbs which can be referenced in comparison to life. It's an intriguing hypothesis for early man, a series of suggestions - some of which are good and some of which are bad. Granted, it's now ancient and doesn't strictly apply to the modern age but there's a lot of wisdom to be found in it alongside the stupidity, particularly in the new testament.

If you want to actively go out of your way to pick something apart (which, for me, is kind of silly) then it's not the bible you should attack, it's modern day Christians who try to live by every single rule, notation and guide located in the book rather than just adapting some moral guidance from it.

Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-12-2011, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 01:21 PM by germanyt.)
(29-12-2011 10:37 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(28-12-2011 09:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Solid white background. Black cross with the red circle and \ going through it. Title will be 'A Thinkers Critique'.

I don't want it to look like a bumper sticker. I was thinking of just doing like a hi-def picture of me with a creepy smile holding up a Bible which is on fire. I may need to set several Bibles on fire to get the perfect shot.

That way if the book sucks, at least I'll sell a few copies for shock value.

I was thinking of something similiar to this. Coolest book cover ever IMO.

[Image: breaking_dawn.jpg]

(29-12-2011 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

I wish it wasn't bad manners to blatantly mock theists/theism in general. I'd do it all day.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
29-12-2011, 02:34 PM
(29-12-2011 01:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

I wish it wasn't bad manners to blatantly mock theists/theism in general. I'd do it all day.

Bad manners?

Quote:We have all heard, endlessly, about how angry and rude the new atheists are. Take a good hard look at their work, at the books and talks by Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris, and you will find that they are more civil, less sneering, less given to name-calling than such religious apologists as Terry Eagleton or Alvin Plantinga or Leon Wieseltier. It is just that many people are shocked to see religious institutions, ideas, and spokespeople challenged as intensely as we expect banks, big pharma, and the oil industry to be challenged.
-Daniel C. Dennett

Quote:If it's in the name of God, it has a social license. Well, "fuck that" is what I say.

Let me just tell you something. For hundreds and thousands of years, this kind of discussion would have been,
in most places, impossible to have. Or Sam and I would have been having it at the risk of our lives.
Religion now comes to us in this smiley face, ingratiating way because it's had to give so much ground,
and because we know so much more. But you've no right to forget how it behaved when it was strong and
when it really did believe it had God on its side.
-Christopher Hitchens

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-12-2011, 03:50 PM
(29-12-2011 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:If it's in the name of God, it has a social license. Well, "fuck that" is what I say.

I contend that atheists get this angry rep cos atheists are allowed to swear. You'll never see one of those bearded fundi priests using the f-word. Oppressing women - tick. Denigrating people's sexual preference - tick. Promoting mass stupidity - tick. Swearing - *never*. They're above that, you see Wink
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-12-2011, 03:01 PM
(29-12-2011 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

Why can't people be provided the freedom to believe the bible is literal?

Why should we question that?

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

-Yoda-
31-12-2011, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2011 10:37 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Amazing. So much fodder for future use. This is seriously humorous. Was looking for a comment on Deuteronomy where Moses writes about his own death and burial, after the fact. Did I miss that ? I was surprised about those verses that forbad any additions or substractions to the texts. Sort of invalidates all the rest of the further stuff that comes after, as in the majority of the rest of the texts, (and they say it's the literal bla bla bla). Obviously they never read it.

There are parts of the myths that are impressive to me, (for example Martin Buber's interpretation of the Garden of Eden stuff), and the picky ancient cultural rules about all the sacrificial rules and regs, are fascinating, (but astounding that anyone in their right mind could possibly call most of this crap "inspired".) Rolleyes

Oh, ... maybe when it's done, you could post a Table of Contents page so we could just go directly to any certain book.

Also in my perv mind, I wanna hear more about the part in Genesis where Adam is lonely, and they were looking for a mate for him, and "God paraded all the creatures before him, yet none PROVED to be a suitable mate for him". Ahem.....

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.