An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
31-12-2011, 12:23 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
(30-12-2011 03:01 PM)Bairny Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

Why can't people be provided the freedom to believe the bible is literal?

Why should we question that?

Why do you think we're against that? If you want to, go ahead. If you post about your belief here though, be prepared for those of us who do not believe to question. Christians don't have to come here, and if they do, it is an atheist forum *specifically* for discussion of these types of things.

If you want to believe that Peter Rabbit books are literal, you're free to do that. But if you then write a post in an anti-Peter Rabbit forum about how belief in Peter Rabbit is the only way to salvation, you think people are gonna not comment? Not pick your post apart? And if they do, you want to whinge about your freedom being infringed?

PS I know you're an atheist - I've seen your other posts. The use of the pronoun you just seemed natural, but does not refer to you, if you see what I mean Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-12-2011, 10:34 AM
(30-12-2011 03:01 PM)Bairny Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 10:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, you answered your own question. There are people who claim the Bible is the word of God and that it is literal, so it needs to be torn apart, shown to be ridiculous, and blatantly mocked.

Why can't people be provided the freedom to believe the bible is literal?

Why should we question that?

Of course people have the freedom to believe the Bible is literal.
However, belief in any nonsense is dangerous - it allows the justification of almost any behavior.

We should question everything.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Our personal critique is valid, I give you that and the assault of widespread nonsense is relevant, I can't deny it.

But - going back to the original post here - I don't detect a Christian on the forum preaching from the bible. This is just a nice, humorous analysis as made by the OP as far as I can tell.

My point is that there is no more value in tearing the bible a new asshole on this forum as there is tearing Harry Potter apart. Fictional, not fictional...whatever. In instances where people use the bible to hurt/offend/damage something then I'm on the side of waving my finger and saying "the bible is a ridiculously ancient piece of nonsense" but I am not opposed to the bible existing and people using it as a means to live their life, provided they don't break the law and don't seek to intentionally hurt others.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

-Yoda-
01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
(01-01-2012 08:05 PM)Bairny Wrote:  My point is that there is no more value in tearing the bible a new asshole on this forum as there is tearing Harry Potter apart. Fictional, not fictional...whatever. In instances where people use the bible to hurt/offend/damage something then I'm on the side of waving my finger and saying "the bible is a ridiculously ancient piece of nonsense" but I am not opposed to the bible existing and people using it as a means to live their life, provided they don't break the law and don't seek to intentionally hurt others.

That only seems logical to you because you're an atheist, and so dismissal is the rational choice over in-depth analysis. But I've been trying dismissal for years and it doesn't seem to work. So now I'm going a step further. I'm granting them the idea that the Bible is actually God's message to mankind, since apparently I can't change their mind about that. I'm trying to show that even if the Bible came from a god, it is an immoral, unjust, jealous, vain, petty, bigoted god bent on blood sacrifices genocide. It's a lot harder for them to argue against that.

Plus, I also intend to expose the Bible to the Christians who claim to have read it, but only cherry picked the 10 or so quotable passages. Why don't they discuss Psalm 137:9 (Happy shall he be, that takes and dashes your little ones against the stones) or the capture of virgin women as sex slaves in church? Because most preachers of the Bible have never actually read the Bible. Or they've read it through Jesus colored glasses and conveniently missed those parts. I'm simply trying to highlight what they refuse to acknowledge.

And why the need to destroy the source doctrine of Christianity? One reason; Creationism taught in schools, cast as a credible theory, just as plausible as the theory of evolution.

P.S. I don't mind the questioning, I plan on including a "why do I do this" section in the book and some of this stuff will be in there.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-01-2012, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 02:19 AM by morondog.)
(01-01-2012 08:05 PM)Bairny Wrote:  My point is that there is no more value in tearing the bible a new asshole on this forum as there is tearing Harry Potter apart. Fictional, not fictional...whatever. In instances where people use the bible to hurt/offend/damage something then I'm on the side of waving my finger and saying "the bible is a ridiculously ancient piece of nonsense" but I am not opposed to the bible existing and people using it as a means to live their life, provided they don't break the law and don't seek to intentionally hurt others.

*You* don't see a value. There's no real value in drinking a martini but people still do it. There's no real value in music. There's ultimately no value in living, depending on your philosophy of choice. Personally I *like* seeing someone tear the Bible a new asshole.

For a long time I thought I had to respect other people's beliefs even if I thought they were stupid. I thought that meant admitting that yes, I don't know everything so your point of view is equally valid etc. etc. Now I respect other people's *right* to believe stupid things, but I'm not gonna sit around and pretend that I think said stupid things aren't stupid just to satisfy some bunch of idiots' idea of social acceptability. They (those fuckers They) did a damn good job of bringing me up to believe that such an approach was not cricket, all the while bashing my own stupid ideas. Well, we're not playing *)%$# cricket.
And BC's thread here is fucking gold man. It's not even a caricature or a straw man. Every word straight from the Bible itself. You're saying we shouldn't bash the Bible 'cos it contains all this violence, homophobia, lust and mayhem? Or that people shouldn't be educated about what it contains?
Actually lust is good Smile But even there the Bible screws it up. All these restrictions on what you can and can't do. Fuck that. Only you can't, 'cos the Bible says so.
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Turns out the whole book-creating and self-publishing thing isn't the difficult part. What's impossible is using any of the online pictures for the book. Turns out that since 1989, ANY original user-created picture posted online is automatically covered by copyright laws. So I'm gonna have to get rid of all that and somehow... still make it readable. I can easily make the chapter titles with a logo/text creator programs... but son of a vondruke if I'm not in a pickle here. I can use "stock" pictures, which all suck... or I can just use the pictures that don't appear traceable to an owner and take my chances. Anyone on here a lawyer?
06-01-2012, 06:00 PM
(06-01-2012 05:56 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Turns out the whole book-creating and self-publishing thing isn't the difficult part. What's impossible is using any of the online pictures for the book. Turns out that since 1989, ANY original user-created picture posted online is automatically covered by copyright laws. So I'm gonna have to get rid of all that and somehow... still make it readable. I can easily make the chapter titles with a logo/text creator programs... but son of a vondruke if I'm not in a pickle here. I can use "stock" pictures, which all suck... or I can just use the pictures that don't appear traceable to an owner and take my chances. Anyone on here a lawyer?

How about getting the Brick Testament guy to let you use his pics?

Or an artist's rendition of stick figure drawings. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
(06-01-2012 06:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How about getting the Brick Testament guy to let you use his pics?

I'd never seen that site before. That would have actually been perfect, but he's already got his own book out.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
(06-01-2012 06:07 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(06-01-2012 06:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How about getting the Brick Testament guy to let you use his pics?

I'd never seen that site before. That would have actually been perfect, but he's already got his own book out.

Get a bunch of plastic army guys and a digital camera and ...

You know, when I'm on the black gungy, maybe it's better I don't give you advice...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
(31-12-2011 12:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Also in my perv mind, I wanna hear more about the part in Genesis where Adam is lonely, and they were looking for a mate for him, and "God paraded all the creatures before him, yet none PROVED to be a suitable mate for him". Ahem.....

I wonder what Adam's criteria were. Size, sex, feathers, fur.....The mind boggles.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Organon's post