An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Votes - 3.86 Average
10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible
The ONLY reason we are even talking about God today is because of scriptures written thousands of years ago. The ONLY reason men invented gods, was to explain much of what science now understands. They needed something to explain thunder and lightning, and a devil to explain illnesses.

The whole premise of religion lays in the need to understand our being in an era of total ignorance.

Many religions today, do admit not taking the Bible literally. The flood for example, is the easiest story to debunk -- and in many ways too. However, they stick to the idea of a creator of the universe, and his sacrifice to humanity.

It's like saying that it's ridiculous to take "Jack and the Beanstalk" literally, as a true story -- but guess what? The giant REALLY exists on a cloud above!
Like I said earlier, they don't take the stories literally, except for the main character! Huh.

Logic fails in this world, still crippled with superstitions of old.
Hence, the need to speak up and share what is known today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes vincedeporter's post
11-08-2012, 01:07 PM
If there was a god and he wanted us to KNOW, it would make NO sense to insist people BELIEVE things they can't prove, including him.
05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
New to this forum and site, and just spent two days reading all of this. To debunk all of the religious nuts out there, just use the quotes that say the bible is literal, and not up for interpretation. That pretty much takes the wind out of their sails. There is no way to argue or interpret that direct passage!

Waiting to purchase this gem! A must for any thinking man's library!

http://www.theaverageatheist.com

Challenge Everything!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
What I have always found interesting when discussing with many of my Christian friends the folly of the literalism of the Bible is that when you actually point out verses from the text and ask them how they explain such things, they find a way to "dance" around it many times; yet other passages they will firmly adhere to as factual and literal.

Most of the time it either degenerates into them referring to me as an "arrogant unbeliever," "a former Christian who has 'lost his way'," or "one who thinks he knows more than God." The other tactic they will employ in such instances involves them "sticking to the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior," and the "Salvation of all mankind by Christ's sacrifice for all" mantra, implying that such doctrine (dogma) supersedes any flaws, inconsistencies, or illogical connections, as if such a "sacrifice" makes all the rest of the book ok, despite the lack of evidence.

If your team doesn't cover on Saturday, your bookie wins on Monday. Simple as that. [/size]
[+] 1 user Likes papalote1's post
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
(05-09-2012 01:09 PM)haarvik Wrote:  New to this forum and site, and just spent two days reading all of this. To debunk all of the religious nuts out there, just use the quotes that say the bible is literal, and not up for interpretation. That pretty much takes the wind out of their sails. There is no way to argue or interpret that direct passage!

Waiting to purchase this gem! A must for any thinking man's library!

Ah thank you. Seriously, it's almost done. I know I keep saying that, but instead of finishing it, I had to deal with 2 family visits and an ex-gf visit this month (people seem to like me more now that I've moved to the Carolinas), along with working 6 days a week.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 09:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Yeah, I keep forgetting this is here. This is really great. A monumental, hilarious undertaking. It was the first thing I read when I came here. I need to give a TTA award for this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-10-2012, 12:37 AM
(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Yep. This is gonna be a long one.

Feel free to throw your own logical dissections at any time.

I don't have time to respond to all of your post, though most of it is addressed on my website.

Just check out my Academic's Annotated Bible: Genesis Chapter 1

And my response to The Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Genesis Chapter 1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2012, 03:08 PM
(18-10-2012 12:37 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Yep. This is gonna be a long one.

Feel free to throw your own logical dissections at any time.

I don't have time to respond to all of your post, though most of it is addressed on my website.

Just check out my Academic's Annotated Bible: Genesis Chapter 1

And my response to The Skeptic's Annotated Bible: Genesis Chapter 1

Not quite, for example see here:
(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  1:16 "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also."

-The moon is not a light, it is a reflection of the sun's light. This is the first of many examples that suggest that God's omnipotence seems to be limited to the knowledge of the demographics and time period of when the Bible was written. Strange.

1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

-Our? Just how many gods are there?

That was just the beginning and should be simple questions to answer but are not addressed anywhere I could see. Could you give an opinion about that?

BTW, your site looks great man! but I don't agree with most of your conclusions, as I can't see a solid base for it that doesn't rely on "The bible says so".

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
23-10-2012, 12:42 PM
BOOK ORDER PAGE:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/brian-shuty/an-...58597.html

Use the code JEKYLL until Oct 26th to get 20% off your order!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
25-10-2012, 02:03 PM
(23-10-2012 12:42 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  BOOK ORDER PAGE:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/brian-shuty/an-...58597.html

Use the code JEKYLL until Oct 26th to get 20% off your order!

Does it has international shipping?

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin