An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4 Average
03-06-2013, 05:09 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(02-06-2013 10:33 PM)theword Wrote:  Isn't this an oxymoron? Or like a blind person judging a beauty contest? Or like an imbecile in a spelling bee?

Aside from being snotty, your comment is ignorant. Unlike your false analogy, lots of atheists know a lot about the bible. Many of us have read it more than many Christians. And you apparently haven't stuck around to see the intelligence and level of knowledge of most here. Many of used to be Christians.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
10-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Loved the thread. Putting the book on a "look for" list - though I have a Nook, so Amazon's not that good for me. Smile

And for the theists - I suppose I should specifically say "Christians," as it's doubtful a Muslem would agree with this regarding the bible - if the bible were so profound and full of life-changing truth as claimed, wouldn't this very thread end up with the author, at least, saying "I was wrong, this supports the idea of a loving, forgiving but just deity that we all should worship?" We know BC had read the thing cover to cover. Even starting out a skeptic and unbeliever, if the truth is really there, he shouldn't find so much to mock - like four "eyewitness" accounts of the tomb after the resurrection being vastly different.

If all he could do were nitpick - say, like the sign on Jesus's cross being worded a little differently, with the majority of other details being the same - then perhaps you, dear Christian, would have some point in saying how inerrant and historically accurate it was. Yet that isn't the case.

I came from being a fairly hardcore, fundamentalist Baptist, every word of the bible was true, etc. Christian. I also loved history. Questioning things that didn't match up is what started the cracks in the wall of theism I'd built around me. There are little bits of truth here and there in the Bible, the occasional good thing, but for the most part... no.

I'll leave you with one verse, because it certainly is true on its own when it comes to reason versus theism, and fits my own deconversion from Christianity to Atheism:

John 8:32 - And you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free.

READ the thing on your own. Take off the "jesus glasses," as they've been described. Take your concordance on when things were written, and a history book on the other - that alone will show how many things do not match up ("and he smote a people who weren't around there at that time, and smote another who had disappeared centuries before.") Doing it honestly will make you question your faith and the goodness of the "good book."
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Ricochet180, christians have been trying for 2000 years and have not attained uniformity despite much theology and bloodshed. On the contrary, they seem to be splitting off into more and more denominations and even some that call themselves nondenominational. So there is no "true" Christianity, never was, just humans arguing what their interpretation is.

Godless in the Magnolia State
10-06-2013, 09:09 PM
(10-06-2013 08:00 PM)cjs Wrote:  Ricochet180, christians have been trying for 2000 years and have not attained uniformity despite much theology and bloodshed. On the contrary, they seem to be splitting off into more and more denominations and even some that call themselves nondenominational. So there is no "true" Christianity, never was, just humans arguing what their interpretation is.

And that's part of what I find amusing, especially when we have evolution, climate change, etc. attacked. And one of the attacks? "There's a conspiracy. You can't vote on the truth, but what do we hear? There's a consensus!"

Well, yes, there's a consensus. Why? Because claims and data have been tested and found to be repeatable and reliable. It's not a popularity vote on "the truth," it's agreeing that the data matches conclusions.

If the data doesn't, other hypotheses come into being and themselves are tested.

Meanwhile - what do we see with Christianity? If there were truth behind it, solid, indisputable fact ("take it on faith" of course being far different from fact!) you'd think there would just be minor quibbles, but they'd just refine the overall belief. Even the books themselves - the exact wording of what Jesus was labeled on the cross might not be exactly the same, but the Zombie Prophets, earthquakes, etc. would be in all of them (and have contemporary records.) We'd have "Christianity." Not Eastern orthodox, Catholicism, Anglicans (though that's historically proven to be a political split, documented in English history,) calvinism, baptists, lutherans, seventh day adventists, etc, etc, etc.

And the attempts to reach "uniformity" have tended to be done not via doctrine, but by the point of a sword (or tip of a bullet.) Not something generally needed with actual, provable fact.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
13-06-2013, 08:50 PM
"What do atheists think about the Bible?"
Gee, ah, what do eunuchs think about birth control? What do the mindless think about academics? What do goldfish think about life outside the bowl?
Answer: they have no clue!
13-06-2013, 09:18 PM
(13-06-2013 08:50 PM)theword Wrote:  What do the mindless think about academics?

How ironic Laughat

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
13-06-2013, 09:45 PM
(13-06-2013 08:50 PM)theword Wrote:  "What do atheists think about the Bible?"
Gee, ah, what do eunuchs think about birth control? What do the mindless think about academics? What do goldfish think about life outside the bowl?

This is the best you got -- of course it is.

Now

Shoo fly

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-06-2013, 12:27 AM
No, that is not the best we got. I wrote a whole book on what biblical scholars, historians and archaeologists think of the Bible.

Anything in particular you want to know about, Momsurroundedbyboys?

The first four chapters are available as a sample on Smashwords.

The fifth chapter is available on GoodReads.

For the rest, you will have to buy the whole e-book, available from a number of e-stores.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2013, 01:48 AM
(14-06-2013 12:27 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  No, that is not the best we got. I wrote a whole book on what biblical scholars, historians and archaeologists think of the Bible.

Anything in particular you want to know about, Momsurroundedbyboys?

The first four chapters are available as a sample on Smashwords.

The fifth chapter is available on GoodReads.

For the rest, you will have to buy the whole e-book, available from a number of e-stores.

My remark wasnt directed at you. It was directed at 'theword' dude. Smile

But thanks for the info!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2013, 07:46 AM
For the record, I mistakenly clicked on Like for theword's latest post and don't know how to undo it.

Godless in the Magnolia State