An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
18-12-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(18-12-2013 02:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 07:10 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Oh look!
My negative Rep has gone up from 5 to 6.
Let me see who I have made unhappy.

You poor misunderstood thing. There you are just being a good warrior for Christ and some dude comes along and NEGs you! I mean srsly WTF ? God! Do something about it! Your fearless warrior dun tooken a critical hitten! I suggest killing him and his family to the fourth generation. That'll teach people to neg YOUR chosen ones.

Rolleyes

Now I'm up to neg 8
Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 08:07 PM
(18-12-2013 07:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 02:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  You poor misunderstood thing. There you are just being a good warrior for Christ and some dude comes along and NEGs you! I mean srsly WTF ? God! Do something about it! Your fearless warrior dun tooken a critical hitten! I suggest killing him and his family to the fourth generation. That'll teach people to neg YOUR chosen ones.

Rolleyes

Now I'm up to neg 8
Weeping

Much like Paul/Saul/Tyler Durden, I'm sure you merely suffer for the good of the cause. Each negative rep point brings you closer to His glory.

"For Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

-2 Corinth 12:10

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
18-12-2013, 09:06 PM
(18-12-2013 03:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  I know about Cain's seed from another source/not the Bible. I do not accept the Bible as the only source that God gave to His children.

It is not biblicaly supported. I am using other source

I am LDS.

Ah! There we go! You should have said so, like, 18 posts ago!

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but as an ex-Lutheran, my knowledge of Christianity pretty much ends with the Bible and all of the secular pursuits studying the religion.

About all I know about Mormonism is that Joseph Smith supposedly was lead to a golden book by an Italian-sounding angel (Moroni is the name of a mobster in Batman Tongue) in upstate New York. He used this book to learn about more stuff from Jesus and how it pertained to the new world, and then he pissed the angel off and he took the book back before any other witnesses could verify that he had the book. Also, something about some Jews traveling here from the old world and God cursing the bad ones with dark skin. Up until recently, I thought that LDS had a bit of a thing for dark skin and curses. Also, the church is crazy secretive about some of their inner teachings. Beyond that, I don't know much.

So, is that the whole thing? Did black people come from Ham, or something? I could have sworn I heard this from somewhere before, and I wasn't sure if it was an LDS belief or not. It's ironic that we're talking about this, because I just recently read that just this month, the church of LDS officially redacted the notion that dark skin signifies a curse. Were you aware of this?

Just so you know, I'm seriously not poking fun, or anything. It's just, now that I know you're basing your beliefs on several books that I know next to nothing about, we can stop talking past each other.
18-12-2013, 09:20 PM
(18-12-2013 07:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 02:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  You poor misunderstood thing. There you are just being a good warrior for Christ and some dude comes along and NEGs you! I mean srsly WTF ? God! Do something about it! Your fearless warrior dun tooken a critical hitten! I suggest killing him and his family to the fourth generation. That'll teach people to neg YOUR chosen ones.

Rolleyes

Now I'm up to neg 8
Weeping

Down to. -8 is less than -6. Your understanding of numbers is poor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-12-2013, 10:08 PM
(18-12-2013 04:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Alla, there are some threads in this forum by former Mormons, about the LDS Church. I suggest you read them - I'd try find you a link but right now I'm about to go sleep - just remember to set your 'rude' meter to its lowest setting 'cos yeah, we're pretty dang rude Tongue But I'd be interested in your comments and... fair warning... I'm hoping they're gonna shake you up a bit. Not because I wanna you to come join me playing in hellfire when we're dead Tongue, but because I think questioning one's beliefs is healthy Smile
thanks. I agree that questioning is healthy.
And I will behave my best no matter what. I know I can do it.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
19-12-2013, 01:32 PM
The bible is a good science fiction novel (some of the proverbs are genius almost) but I think they could have made it so much better – the god in the old testament is jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, an unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully (some of that diatribe stolen from Dawkins).

If they had made him a lot nicer the legacy of religion would have been so much different – I still wouldn’t say positive because its still intended to brainwash and would still have restricted us a species. Check out this website, there's a free first chapter online and includes a speech on atheism/religion that is genius - http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com
19-12-2013, 03:25 PM
(18-12-2013 10:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 04:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Alla, there are some threads in this forum by former Mormons, about the LDS Church. I suggest you read them - I'd try find you a link but right now I'm about to go sleep - just remember to set your 'rude' meter to its lowest setting 'cos yeah, we're pretty dang rude Tongue But I'd be interested in your comments and... fair warning... I'm hoping they're gonna shake you up a bit. Not because I wanna you to come join me playing in hellfire when we're dead Tongue, but because I think questioning one's beliefs is healthy Smile
thanks. I agree that questioning is healthy.

Stop that.

You make it hard to hate you, you filthy theist.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-12-2013, 03:43 PM
(19-12-2013 03:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Stop that.

But we should not hate, we should be filled with the *love* of the *oneness* of the Universe Girl_nails

All are the children of the Universe...

Because everyone's life starts with a bang...

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-12-2013, 04:47 PM
(19-12-2013 03:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 10:08 PM)Alla Wrote:  thanks. I agree that questioning is healthy.

Stop that.

It makes me happy.Smile

19-12-2013, 04:50 PM
(19-12-2013 03:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 03:25 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Stop that.

But we should not hate, we should be filled with the *love* of the *oneness* of the Universe Girl_nails

All are the children of the Universe...

Because everyone's life starts with a bang...

Tongue
The only thing that I can add to this is "AMEN" Smile
P.S. But I don't mind to have hard debates with my brothers and sisters atheists