An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Votes - 4 Average
21-01-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
From Wiki:

Assets[edit]Time magazine estimated in 1996 that the church's assets exceeded $30 billion.[1] This figure represents only one side of the balance sheet and does not include current liabilities for maintenance, although the LDS Church incurs virtually no long-term liabilities.[12] After the Time article was published, the church responded that the financial figures in the article were "grossly exaggerated."[26] Three years later, annual revenues were estimated to be $5 billion, with total assets at $25 to $30 billion.[27] Whatever the actual figure, some estimate that about two-thirds of it is made up of non-income-producing facilities and the land they sit on, including thousands of meetinghouses and 141 temples the church operates worldwide, as well as educational institutions, such as Brigham Young University.[citation needed] The remaining assets include direct investments in for-profit businesses largely managed through Deseret Management Corporation. Although the church is a tax-exempt organization, its for-profit entities generate "unrelated business income" that is subject to federal, state, and local income and other taxes

It is a shame the members do not see it as an organization intersested in promoting itself and it's ideas, rather than helping all those "incapable of helping themselves"

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven. - Robert Green Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 02:35 PM
You have to read the story of the resurrection as told by four different authors to get the full flavor of the hoax that is religion. If you read them altogether and compare them, you will find that they are a complete mess with Jesus saying really dumb things, like "tarry in Jerusalem" instead of going out and preaching. It makes no sense at all and was obviously written as a spoof by one person who changes each gospel from the previous one so by the end, you have no idea what happened.
30-04-2014, 09:27 PM
I have an original copy of the book and I just started reading it again. Omg it's even better than I remember. Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
This thread is gold ! Amazing work OP! I will buy your book.
03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
I just bought the paperback of this on amazon. Gonna arrive a day after my birthday. I am looking forward to reading it.
05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
I am enjoying this very much.

I wanted to add my pitiful 2 cents regarding the awful story of the flood.

Then the Lord decides that all humanity is corrupt and needs to be massacred via flood.

Genesis 8:21
And the Lord smelled a sweet savor; and the Lord said in His heart, “I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake, for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

**Obviously, there are a million things wrong with this verse, but here is one of the many contradictions, that set me on the path to atheism...

Because god already knows the future, hence Revelations, this means that he knew before he caused the flood, that he would decide afterwards, man was just plain evil, and he wouldn't smite (a pathetically kind word for genocide), every living thing again.

He went ahead and did it anyway?? Then said "oops, my bad" here's a rainbow to make up for it?! Shocking

How the hell did I ever believe this shit? Huh

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
06-05-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 11:13 AM by Hughsie.)
(05-05-2014 07:25 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  How the hell did I ever believe this shit? Huh

That's what I find odd/baffling about religion, just how plausible people take the stories as when they have just the tiniest flaws in them. Take the story of Jesus and look at it objectively and it's completely insane;

*God creates man

God: To get into Heaven there are certain rules you must abide by.
Man: OK, I can do that.

*Man sins

God: You have broken my rules and sinned.
Man: I'm sorry God, can you forgive me?
God: No, I cannot. I am a just being and all sins must be atoned for.

*God has his own son nailed to a cross, killing him

God: Man, now I can forgive you. My son has paid for your sins, my sense of justice has been satisfied.

ERM WHAT?!?! How in the fuck does that make any sense?! How in the hell does killing Jesus allow God to forgive everyone else? The answer of him being a "just" being clearly doesn't make sense because no sane person would see justice in this. But, we've only hit the tip of the iceberg, things are about to get a whole lot weirder.

*God and man are now in Heaven discussing sin

Man: I'm sorry I sinned God, it meant you had to kill your son and that wasn't cool of me.
God: Don't worry about it. Tbh, whatever you did I would have had to kill Jesus. You see, he wasn't just atoning for the sins you have committed, he was atoning for your original sin.
Man: What's original sin?
God: Millennia ago your ancestors lived in the Garden of Eden. I gave them a free run of the place but there was one rule, there was a tree they were not to eat from and they ate from it. That was the first ever sin and that sin (unlike others) is hereditary, it is passed down from parent to child, every person carries it to this day and always will.
Man: So every person is automatically born in sin because of something that happened thousands of years ago?
God: Yes, there is literally no way of avoiding it so Jesus would have had to have died whatever happened.

SERIOUSLY?!?! We're supposed to buy that this makes any sense whatsoever? The 'just' God has condemned every single person because of one event thousands of years ago? Whether we sin or not is irrelevant as we are born with sin that can only be removed by Jesus' sacrifice, and that sacrifice removes all sin anyway so it is literally irrelevant whether or not we sin. Once again though, things are about to make even less sense.

*God and man continue their conversation

Man: But God, aren't you omniscient?
God: Yes.
Man: So you foresaw all this?
Man: You knew from the beginning of time that the original sin was going to occur?
Man: And you knew mankind was going to be sinful?
Man: And you knew that this would mean creating a son that you would have to then kill?
Man: So did you intentionally plan all this yourself?
God: Yeah, I needed to be able to send my son down to die for you all to demonstrate my love for you so I set up your ancestors to fail my test and made mankind sinful. This gave me my reason to send Jesus down and kill him, thereby demonstrating my love for you all with my sacrifice.
Man: But God, surely you haven't really made a sacrifice? You're omnipotent so the concept of sacrifice must be almost redundant to you? Besides, Jesus was only dead for a day or so and then he resurrected to live with you in Heaven. How is that a sacrifice?
God: ..........
Man: Furthermore, Jesus only existed because of your plan. If you hadn't made this plan you wouldn't have a son. Not only have you not made a sacrifice here, you've actually benefited from what's transpired.
God: Yeah, I kinda work in mysterious ways, and if you question this I'm gonna send you to Hell (but I still love you).

I really don't get how this whole story doesn't get questioned more. People just hear it and accept it. It boggles my mind. Undecided

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
06-05-2014, 11:05 PM
(06-05-2014 10:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I really don't get how this whole story doesn't get questioned more. People just hear it and accept it. It boggles my mind. Undecided

Childhood... "bring a man up in the proper way and when he is old he will not depart from it" - religions have *always* been good at the important stuff - not love silly, brainwashing.

Actually it's not quite that simple. It's childhood, poor understanding of science, a desire for the world to make sense (in the sense of "why do bad things happen to good people?"), a desire to feel some measure of control (I can't control earthquakes but they're kak scary and if I pray to God then *he* can, unless he decides to fuck me over because of his super duper plan Dodgy ), and also social - very hard to question the majority. Historically humans as a species aren't very tolerant of dissent. I mean, up until very recently it was considered perfectly natural to burn someone at stake for being a heretic. But even nowadays if everyone you know is some flavour of religious it takes a degree of confidence to think "it's all bullshit"...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-05-2014, 11:51 PM
(06-05-2014 11:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 10:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I really don't get how this whole story doesn't get questioned more. People just hear it and accept it. It boggles my mind. Undecided

Childhood... "bring a man up in the proper way and when he is old he will not depart from it" - religions have *always* been good at the important stuff - not love silly, brainwashing.

Actually it's not quite that simple. It's childhood, poor understanding of science, a desire for the world to make sense (in the sense of "why do bad things happen to good people?"), a desire to feel some measure of control (I can't control earthquakes but they're kak scary and if I pray to God then *he* can, unless he decides to fuck me over because of his super duper plan Dodgy ), and also social - very hard to question the majority. Historically humans as a species aren't very tolerant of dissent. I mean, up until very recently it was considered perfectly natural to burn someone at stake for being a heretic. But even nowadays if everyone you know is some flavour of religious it takes a degree of confidence to think "it's all bullshit"...

Brainwashing is correct. I do forget, that this was a slow and steady process, spoon fed to me, over years! You were more understand of me, than I was myself. Nice! Thumbsup

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
09-05-2014, 02:08 AM
I just got mine in the mail. I decided to go with new testimate for now and pick up old later on.