An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
11-09-2015, 01:10 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
BUDDY CHRIST:
15:32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day."
15:35 "And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."
-If you so much as pick up twigs on Sunday, you deserve the electric chair.
ALLA:
Death is not for simply gathering sticks on Sabbath day. Death is for not honoring the Sabbath day. Death is for teaching your children not to honor the Sabbath day. When someone starts to dishonor Sabbath and teaches others to do the same it is the beginning of the apostasy.

BUDDY CHRIST:
12:27 And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.
-I'm starting to think that "blood" and "offerings" are the 2 most used words in the Bible.
ALLA:
yes, we can say this. but what are you starting to think about the meaning of those symbols?

BUDDY CHRIST:
18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
-So we should kill prophets whose predictions don't come true.
ALLA: no, you shouldn't. God didn't speak to you. God was talking to His covenant people.

BUDDY CHRIST:
Isn't this justification for the killing of Jesus? He promised many things "the meek shall inherit the earth, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place, etc" that didn't come true.
ALLA:
those prophecies will be fulfilled later. "this generation" is symbol for a period of time that can last thousand of years. the same as word "day" can last more than 24 hours.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
(11-09-2015 11:12 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Alla have you talked with a therapist yet? I'm being sincere when I ask this.
if I need a therapist I can't know this.
P.S. thanks for being sincere Smile

12-09-2015, 01:05 PM
(11-09-2015 01:10 PM)Alla Wrote:  BUDDY CHRIST:
15:32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day."
15:35 "And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."
ALLA:
Death is not for simply gathering sticks on Sabbath day. Death is for not honoring the Sabbath day. Death is for teaching your children not to honor the Sabbath day. When someone starts to dishonor Sabbath and teaches others to do the same it is the beginning of the apostasy.

BUDDY CHRIST:
12:27 And thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, the flesh and the blood, upon the altar of the LORD thy God: and the blood of thy sacrifices shall be poured out upon the altar of the LORD thy God, and thou shalt eat the flesh.
-I'm starting to think that "blood" and "offerings" are the 2 most used words in the Bible.
ALLA:
yes, we can say this. but what are you starting to think about the meaning of those symbols?

BUDDY CHRIST:
18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
ALLA: no, you shouldn't. God didn't speak to you. God was talking to His covenant people.

BUDDY CHRIST:
Isn't this justification for the killing of Jesus? He promised many things "the meek shall inherit the earth, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place, etc" that didn't come true.
ALLA:
those prophecies will be fulfilled later. "this generation" is symbol for a period of time that can last thousand of years. the same as word "day" can last more than 24 hours.

It always amuses me the contortions those who are infected with faith must go through to convince themselves THAT piece of scripture actually meant THIS and is "symbolic, or allegorical in nature", but this OTHER piece of scripture is word for word factual and direct in nature. yeeeeeeeah....where does one get the reader's guide to Fiction, Fantasy and Forgery of the bible? oooh wait, I know! Big Grin

http://www.amazon.com/Skeptics-Annotated...0988245108

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Your lunacy and ineptitude knows no boundary Alla, truly.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
12-09-2015, 01:42 PM
(12-09-2015 01:05 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 01:10 PM)Alla Wrote:  BUDDY CHRIST:
ALLA:

BUDDY CHRIST:
ALLA:

BUDDY CHRIST:

BUDDY CHRIST:
ALLA:

It always amuses me the contortions those who are infected with faith must go through to convince themselves THAT piece of scripture actually meant THIS and is "symbolic, or allegorical in nature", but this OTHER piece of scripture is word for word factual and direct in nature. yeeeeeeeah....where does one get the reader's guide to Fiction, Fantasy and Forgery of the bible? oooh wait, I know! Big Grin

According to the Bible Jesus didn't teach in plain language. He was teaching by using symbols and parables. What make you think that those words were in plain language? I am talking about "generation"
People like you do NOT have to understand what Jesus was teaching. It has to be hidden manna for people like you.
and it is.

12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
(12-09-2015 01:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:05 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It always amuses me the contortions those who are infected with faith must go through to convince themselves THAT piece of scripture actually meant THIS and is "symbolic, or allegorical in nature", but this OTHER piece of scripture is word for word factual and direct in nature. yeeeeeeeah....where does one get the reader's guide to Fiction, Fantasy and Forgery of the bible? oooh wait, I know! Big Grin

According to the Bible Jesus didn't teach in plain language. He was teaching by using symbols and parables. What make you think that those words were in plain language? I am talking about "generation"
People like you do NOT have to understand what Jesus was teaching. It has to be hidden manna for people like you.
and it is.

mhmmm yes. Now, lets extrapolate how you know ANYTHING that jesus allegedly taught as he, once again, never wrote it down, and no one who wrote of jesus actually knew jesus Gasp

People like you pretend to know what jesus allegedly taught.

[Image: dndny0.jpg]

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-09-2015, 01:49 PM
(12-09-2015 01:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  According to the Bible Jesus didn't teach in plain language. He was teaching by using symbols and parables. What make you think that those words were in plain language? I am talking about "generation"
and it is.

mhmmm yes. Now, lets extrapolate how you know ANYTHING that jesus allegedly taught as he, once again, never wrote it down, and no one who wrote of jesus actually knew jesus Gasp

I quote the Bible. According to what I quote Jesus didn't speak in plain language. So, "generation" is NOT in plain language. So, those who say that Jesus prophecy was not fulfilled are wrong.
That is all I want to say. I only discuss the book. I do not argue if it is true or false.
I don't care if you believe the Bible or not.

12-09-2015, 01:52 PM
So, GWG, you were Southern Baptist? Now I understand why you like to talk about LDS Church. what is the difference between atheists and Southern Baptists? There is only one difference: no faith- faith. that's all.

12-09-2015, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 02:05 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(12-09-2015 01:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  mhmmm yes. Now, lets extrapolate how you know ANYTHING that jesus allegedly taught as he, once again, never wrote it down, and no one who wrote of jesus actually knew jesus Gasp

I quote the Bible. According to what I quote Jesus didn't speak in plain language. So, "generation" is NOT in plain language. So, those who say that Jesus prophecy was not fulfilled are wrong.
That is all I want to say. I only discuss the book. I do not argue if it is true or false.
I don't care if you believe the Bible or not.

Truly?

The Bible claims that Jesus made the following comment:

Matthew 16:28

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Jesus also advised against going to court over someone who steals something and also told people not to store up stocks or reserves for the future. Clearly, he thought the end was very near.

Likewise, Paul advised followers not to marry and that the end time was near. In this scripture he obviously believes that some of the people he is talking to will still be alive at the second coming.

I Thessalonians 4: 16-18

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.”

The obvious fact is that the second coming was not forthcoming at that time, or even close to being near. The 2000-year delay is a strong piece of evidence that Christianity is a failed religion.

The following quote from Stephen L. Harris, Professor Emeritus of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University- Sacramento, completes this point with a devastating argument. Remember that Jesus was a Jew who had no intention to deviate from the Hebrew scriptures:

“Jesus did not accomplish what Israel’s prophets said the Messiah was commissioned to do: He did not deliver the covenant people from their Gentile enemies, reassemble those scattered in the Diaspora, restore the Davidic kingdom, or establish universal peace (cf.Isa. 9:6–7; 11:7–12:16, etc.). Instead of freeing Jews from oppressors and thereby fulfilling God’s ancient promises—for land, nationhood, kingship, and blessing—Jesus died a “shameful” death, defeated by the very political powers the Messiah was prophesied to overcome. Indeed, the Hebrew prophets did not foresee that Israel’s savior would be executed as a common criminal by Gentiles, making Jesus’ crucifixion a “stumbling block” to scripturally literate Jews. (1 Cor.1:23)”

Jesus’ immediate followers, mostly his 12 disciples, probably did not immediately identify this failure, because after Jesus’ body was likely stolen and concealed, a rumor spread that Jesus had been resurrected from the dead. A sense of optimism overcame their grief about his execution and renewed some hope that he was a true messiah. If they had known then that there was to be no return in the near or long-term future, they likely would have abandoned any further activity. Despite this resurgence in their faith, they never agreed with Paul’s concept of Jesus as being divine. Anything written in the Bible to suggest that they did is probably a result of later editing by some of Paul’s followers. Such a belief would have been an exceptional departure from the Jewish faith.

You would think as many times as I have paddled your little behind with the knowledge stick you would learn to avoid engaging me on the topic of theology. Consider

[Image: n5hu1y.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-09-2015, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 02:27 PM by Alla.)
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  I quote the Bible. According to what I quote Jesus didn't speak in plain language. So, "generation" is NOT in plain language. So, those who say that Jesus prophecy

Truly?
“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
That is true. John is one of those people, he didn't die yet. Enoch and the whole city of Zion didn't die yet.
3 Nephites didn't die yet.
These people are called "translated beings".
Did the Bible testify that Enoch die? Did the Bible testify that John die?
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Jesus also advised against going to court over someone who steals something and also told people not to store up stocks or reserves for the future. Clearly, he thought the end was very near.
What is the end? The day I die is the end. The day I die is the day of the Second Coming for me. Day of my death is the day when this time of probation is over for me.
So, that day is not always That Day, but the day each one of us dies.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Likewise, Paul advised followers not to marry and that the end time was near. In this scripture he obviously believes that some of the people he is talking to will still be alive at the second coming.
"Near" is relatively. When Paul was talking about not being married he was talking about those who go on the mission.
Yes, he was talking that some will be alive at the second coming. He was talking about people like Enoch, Moses, John, 3 Nephites.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I Thessalonians 4: 16-18

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.”

The obvious fact is that the second coming was not forthcoming at that time, or even close to being near. The 2000-year delay is a strong piece of evidence that Christianity is a failed religion.
Who are "we"?
They(in the first century) and us(in the 21 century) are WE - are ONE, we are saints and Church of Christ. Paul was talking about those Saints who will live at the time of the second coming.
They and us are "we" - the Church/ALL Saints.
Of course, Southern Baptists do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost. They are NOT true Church of Christ. So, how would you know this?
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The following quote from Stephen L. Harris, Professor Emeritus of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University- Sacramento, completes this point with a devastating argument. Remember that Jesus was a Jew who had no intention to deviate from the Hebrew scriptures:
“Jesus did not accomplish what Israel’s prophets said the Messiah was commissioned to do: He did not deliver the covenant people from their Gentile enemies, reassemble those scattered in the Diaspora, restore the Davidic kingdom, or establish universal peace (cf.Isa. 9:6–7; 11:7–12:16, etc.).
This professor does NOT understand that Isaiah was talking about LATTER DAYS before the SECOND COMING of Christ, not about days when Christ was born on earth to save humanity.
poor, poor professor. does NOT understand Isaiah. he does NOT have an authority from God to interpret Isaiah and he has no gift of the Holy Ghost.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Jesus’ immediate followers, mostly his 12 disciples, probably did not immediately identify this failure, because after Jesus’ body was likely stolen and concealed, a rumor spread that Jesus had been resurrected from the dead. A sense of optimism overcame their grief about his execution and renewed some hope that he was a true messiah. If they had known then that there was to be no return in the near or long-term future, they likely would have abandoned any further activity. Despite this resurgence in their faith, they never agreed with Paul’s concept of Jesus as being divine. Anything written in the Bible to suggest that they did is probably a result of later editing by some of Paul’s followers. Such a belief would have been an exceptional departure from the Jewish faith.
this is your opinion, I will not argue with that. believe what you want.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  You would think as many times as I have paddled your little behind with the knowledge stick you would learn to avoid engaging me on the topic of theology. Consider
You quote the Bible very well, I can give you this credit. But your interpretation of the Bible is not correct most of the time.

12-09-2015, 02:39 PM
(12-09-2015 02:20 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Truly?
That is true. John is one of those people, he didn't die yet. Enoch and the whole city of Zion didn't die yet.
3 Nephites didn't die yet.
These people are called "translated beings".
Did the Bible testify that Enoch die? Did the Bible testify that John die?
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Jesus also advised against going to court over someone who steals something and also told people not to store up stocks or reserves for the future. Clearly, he thought the end was very near.
What is the end? The day I die is the end. The day I die is the day of the Second Coming for me. Day of my death is the day when this time of probation is over for me.
So, that day is not always That Day, but the day each one of us dies.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Likewise, Paul advised followers not to marry and that the end time was near. In this scripture he obviously believes that some of the people he is talking to will still be alive at the second coming.
"Near" is relatively. When Paul was talking about not being married he was talking about those who go on the mission.
Yes, he was talking that some will be alive at the second coming. He was talking about people like Enoch, Moses, John, 3 Nephites.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I Thessalonians 4: 16-18

Who are "we"?
They(in the first century) and us(in the 21 century) are WE - are ONE, we are saints and Church of Christ. Paul was talking about those Saints who will live at the time of the second coming.
They and us are "we" - the Church/ALL Saints.
Of course, Southern Baptists do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost. They are NOT true Church of Christ. So, how would you know this?
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The following quote from Stephen L. Harris, Professor Emeritus of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University- Sacramento, completes this point with a devastating argument. Remember that Jesus was a Jew who had no intention to deviate from the Hebrew scriptures:
“Jesus did not accomplish what Israel’s prophets said the Messiah was commissioned to do: He did not deliver the covenant people from their Gentile enemies, reassemble those scattered in the Diaspora, restore the Davidic kingdom, or establish universal peace (cf.Isa. 9:6–7; 11:7–12:16, etc.).
This professor does NOT understand that Isaiah was talking about LATTER DAYS before the SECOND COMING of Christ, not about days when Christ was born on earth to save humanity.
poor, poor professor. does NOT understand Isaiah. he does NOT have an authority from God to interpret Isaiah and he has no gift of the Holy Ghost.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Jesus’ immediate followers, mostly his 12 disciples, probably did not immediately identify this failure, because after Jesus’ body was likely stolen and concealed, a rumor spread that Jesus had been resurrected from the dead. A sense of optimism overcame their grief about his execution and renewed some hope that he was a true messiah. If they had known then that there was to be no return in the near or long-term future, they likely would have abandoned any further activity. Despite this resurgence in their faith, they never agreed with Paul’s concept of Jesus as being divine. Anything written in the Bible to suggest that they did is probably a result of later editing by some of Paul’s followers. Such a belief would have been an exceptional departure from the Jewish faith.
this is your opinion, I will not argue with that. believe what you want.
(12-09-2015 01:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  You would think as many times as I have paddled your little behind with the knowledge stick you would learn to avoid engaging me on the topic of theology. Consider
You quote the Bible very well, I can give you this credit. But your interpretation of the Bible is not correct most of the time.

Blink

Laugh out load