An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(12-09-2015 02:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm pretty sure GWoG's pops was some sorta Mormon elder or whatever they call themselves.

I thought his mom is a minister...either way, I am pretty sure he is well-versed in Bible.

It does get confusing, I should write a book sometime.....nah no one would want to read that drivel Laughat

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
12-09-2015, 03:02 PM
(12-09-2015 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought his mom is a minister...either way, I am pretty sure he is well-versed in Bible.

It does get confusing, I should write a book sometime.....nah no one would want to read that drivel Laughat

However, a chart with colors and arrows may help us keep this sorted.

Girly and I were on the right track, just didn't have all those twists and turns factored in. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
(12-09-2015 03:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It does get confusing, I should write a book sometime.....nah no one would want to read that drivel Laughat

However, a chart with colors and arrows may help us keep this sorted.

Girly and I were on the right track, just didn't have all those twists and turns factored in. Tongue

Big Grin

My life would look like the mormon path to heaven chart...confusing as heck.

But at least mine would be true Drooling

[Image: hteiow.png]

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
(12-09-2015 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I thought his mom is a minister...either way, I am pretty sure he is well-versed in Bible.

I disagree. Your posts are always informative, always backed up with references. They're damn good writing. I think a book even just summarising a few of your posts on TTA would be a great resource. (I must confess I often don't read your longer posts, I just can't take that much info in one go, but whenever I *do*, I don't regret it.)

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Interpretation is subjective.
interpretation of the Bible either correct or not correct.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  This is why one must study exigesis, and more importantly, the forensic analysis of the formation of the bible, and indepth analysis of the historicity of jesus.
and still make false interpretation of the Bible.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  For without jesus, Christianity fails...like all religions do upon introspective contemplation of their "holy books."
This belief is based on the belief that jesus of nazareth was the son of a god.
So how do we know of jesus?
through personal revelation from God, for example. The Holy Ghost is Witness Who knows Jesus very well. They are Brothers.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So since we know no one who wrote of jesus knew him, or was an eyewitness, lets apply logic to this, something I know you struggle with.
The Holy Ghost teaches about Jesus. He knows Him.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Either this guy was truly the son of a god, and was performing magical miracles like Benny Hinn on a world tour.......
OR
It is all man's fabrication of a story, based off of older hero god myths throughout time from Osiris, to Romulus, to jesus.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Now which makes more since? Zero evidence for option one, a plethora of evidence for option two. Put on your thinking cap Alla...oh wait...shit you don't have one, well here, borrow mine.....think....think....apply some logic....have we ever seen the evidence of magic and miracles? um.....no. So one would think .........option two is the more realistic reality. Thumbsup
GWG, your interpretation of the Bible most of the time is incorrect. I don't care if you don't believe in Jesus. It is none of my business.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
12-09-2015, 03:07 PM
(12-09-2015 02:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For people like me? I hope you're not implying that I can't follow and appreciate The Word because I don't believe in God. Because that would be precisely what The Word does not say.
You can follow and appreciate the Word according to your understanding of the Word. Many people do wrong/evil things because they do NOT understand the Word correctly. But God gives to all people moral agency.

The Word is not only a foundational concept of just about every religion, it transcends religion. The best way to understand The Word is not to read someone else's interpretation but to make your own. No God required.

"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell

"“Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.” - Joseph Campbell

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-09-2015, 03:08 PM
(12-09-2015 03:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:00 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  It does get confusing, I should write a book sometime.....nah no one would want to read that drivel Laughat

I disagree. Your posts are always informative, always backed up with references. They're damn good writing. I think a book even just summarising a few of your posts on TTA would be a great resource. (I must confess I often don't read your longer posts, I just can't take that much info in one go, but whenever I *do*, I don't regret it.)

Thanks, it is posts like this that keeps me in the game.

That is always the double edged sword of TL : DR Unsure

You can't answer huge theological claims with a sentence or two...well you can, but then it just comes across as an opinionated quip.

I try to substantiate my assertions, and get added joy if I can do it using their own book against them Laugh out load

Thumbsup

12-09-2015, 03:11 PM
(12-09-2015 03:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Word is not only a foundational concept of just about every religion, it transcends religion. The best way to understand The Word is not to read someone else's interpretation but to make your own. No God required.
why do you think that this is the best way?
(12-09-2015 03:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell
"“Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.” - Joseph Campbell
I disagree.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
12-09-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 03:17 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(12-09-2015 03:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Interpretation is subjective.
interpretation of the Bible either correct or not correct.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  This is why one must study exigesis, and more importantly, the forensic analysis of the formation of the bible, and indepth analysis of the historicity of jesus.
and still make false interpretation of the Bible.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  For without jesus, Christianity fails...like all religions do upon introspective contemplation of their "holy books."
This belief is based on the belief that jesus of nazareth was the son of a god.
So how do we know of jesus?
through personal revelation from God, for example. The Holy Ghost is Witness Who knows Jesus very well. They are Brothers.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So since we know no one who wrote of jesus knew him, or was an eyewitness, lets apply logic to this, something I know you struggle with.
The Holy Ghost teaches about Jesus. He knows Him.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Either this guy was truly the son of a god, and was performing magical miracles like Benny Hinn on a world tour.......
OR
It is all man's fabrication of a story, based off of older hero god myths throughout time from Osiris, to Romulus, to jesus.
(12-09-2015 02:53 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Now which makes more since? Zero evidence for option one, a plethora of evidence for option two. Put on your thinking cap Alla...oh wait...shit you don't have one, well here, borrow mine.....think....think....apply some logic....have we ever seen the evidence of magic and miracles? um.....no. So one would think .........option two is the more realistic reality. Thumbsup
GWG, your interpretation of the Bible most of the time is incorrect. I don't care if you don't believe in Jesus. It is none of my business.

lol

And this is the basis of your self-delusion. You THINK you "interpret" the bible correctly. You BELIEVE you have had some sort of "personal revelation," and you HOPE it is true. But the FACT remains that the bible is a compilation of pseudepigrapha (look it up), fiction, forgery and fantasy. I can, and have many times, proven this. Your CHOICE to embrace a fairy tale, and THINK you can read between the lines is just an indication of your epic ineptitude to theological study of the bible. Your posits of what you think you KNOW is just an expression of neurological flatulence. You actually don't KNOW anything about jesus.

in other news....why has Alla's user name turned poop brown? Is that an indication of her level of BS posited in her time here at TTA, or is that like, the brown color of someone circling the drain to banville? Laughat

12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Interesting how the disclosure of parents who are clergy upped GWG's interpretations of the Bible from not correct most of the time to correct most of the time.

I just love a person who is strong in their convictions. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post