An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
12-09-2015, 03:16 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
So, GWG doesn't understand correctly word "we" when Paul talked about those who will not die and see Christ at Second Coming.
GWG, doesn't understand Isaiah. Isaiah was talking about what Christ will do in the last days but GWG and professor think that Isaiah was talking about times of Christ's first coming to Earth.
many, many things GWG does not understand correctly. For those who do not believe and do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost many Words of God is hidden manna.
Some quotes in the Bible GWG understands correctly, to be fair to him.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2015, 03:21 PM
(12-09-2015 03:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  why has Alla's user name turned poop brown? Is that an indication of her level of BS posited in her time here at TTA, or is that like, the brown color of someone circling the drain to banville? Laughat
So, you were Southern Baptist? I can see that.

12-09-2015, 03:22 PM
(12-09-2015 03:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  why has Alla's user name turned poop brown? Is that an indication of her level of BS posited in her time here at TTA, or is that like, the brown color of someone circling the drain to banville? Laughat
So, you were Southern Baptist? I can see that.

He's not the one who changed your status here. You can thank your own actions for that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-09-2015, 03:23 PM
(12-09-2015 03:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Word is not only a foundational concept of just about every religion, it transcends religion. The best way to understand The Word is not to read someone else's interpretation but to make your own. No God required.
why do you think that this is the best way?

Because I don't want or need to be spoon fed my metaphysics. Those who do have abdicated their personal responsibility. Doctrine and dogma only obfuscate, dilute, and distract from The Word.

(12-09-2015 03:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell
"“Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.” - Joseph Campbell
I disagree.

Why?

#sigh
12-09-2015, 03:25 PM
(12-09-2015 03:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:21 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, you were Southern Baptist? I can see that.
He's not the one who changed your status here. You can thank your own actions for that.
I understand this. But I am not surprised he was Southern Baptist. They talk like this. They judge others like this.
some atheists on this forum remind me Southern Baptists.

12-09-2015, 03:27 PM
(12-09-2015 03:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He's not the one who changed your status here. You can thank your own actions for that.
I understand this. But I am not surprised he was Southern Baptist. They talk like this. They judge others like this.

You are not only ignorant, but you are a prejudiced, small-minded, and piss poor example of what ever flavor of religion you claim to follow.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
(12-09-2015 03:16 PM)Alla Wrote:  So, GWG doesn't understand correctly word "we" when Paul talked about those who will not die and see Christ at Second Coming.
GWG, doesn't understand Isaiah. Isaiah was talking about what Christ will do in the last days but GWG and professor think that Isaiah was talking about times of Christ's first coming to Earth.
many, many things GWG does not understand correctly. For those who do not believe and do not have the gift of the Holy Ghost many Words of God is hidden manna.
Some quotes in the Bible GWG understands correctly, to be fair to him.

Consider

No, you are playing word semantics with the word "we." Don't play twister with the bible Alla, it says what it says Yes

You may need to reread Isaiah my dear friend. Haven't done this long have you? ah, I forget, you read the bible with those special joseph smith glasses...or is it seer stone? Tongue Yes Alla, the dear Doctor of theology was clearly wrong, and you have singlehandedly dismantled his 50 years of theological studying with your astute interpretation of biblical exigesis.

I LOVE the concept of "those who have been given the gift of being able to interpret god's word"....give me a second while I spit beer and laugh uncontrollably. it reminds me of the "god sensor" concept.

There is a term first used by pastor and french theologian John Calvin, contemporary American Christian Apologist Alvin Plantinga tries to answer questions of defaulting to god with the Sensus Divinitatis or "god sensor". He posits that some people have a built in sense of the divine...something within them that senses god in the same way that we have eyes that sense things in the visual realm. One of the main problems with this little theory, is that just as some people can allegedly sense god, other people can allegedly claim to sense other imagined entities. This rebuttal is called the great pumpkin objection. In the end, it is very convenient to play the "I am a member of a small select special group that can sense god"...can you now?

*pats Alla on the head* Of course you can hear jesus talking to you dear, I believe you..there there..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
(12-09-2015 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  why do you think that this is the best way?
Because I don't want or need to be spoon fed my metaphysics. Those who do have abdicated their personal responsibility. Doctrine and dogma only obfuscate, dilute, and distract from The Word.
OK, I understand your position.
(12-09-2015 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:11 PM)Alla Wrote:  I disagree.
Why?
All religions can not be true. they contradict each other in many things.

12-09-2015, 03:36 PM
(12-09-2015 03:27 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  No, you are playing word semantics with the word "we." Don't play twister with the bible Alla, it says what it says Yes
"we" is the Church of Christ or ALL Saints. what is so twisted about this?
Yes, the Bible says what it says. so "who are "WE"? what does the Bible say?
(12-09-2015 03:27 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  You may need to reread Isaiah my dear friend. Haven't done this long have you? ah, I forget, you read the bible with those special joseph smith glasses...or is it seer stone? Tongue Yes Alla, the dear Doctor of theology was clearly wrong, and you have singlehandedly dismantled his 50 years of theological studying with your astute interpretation of biblical exigesis.
You may show where Isaiah said that he was talking about times of the first coming of Christ. I would be glad to learn this.
(12-09-2015 03:27 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I LOVE the concept of "those who have been given the gift of being able to interpret god's word"....give me a second while I spit beer and laugh uncontrollably. it reminds me of the "god sensor" concept.
I understand you.

12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
(12-09-2015 03:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 03:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He's not the one who changed your status here. You can thank your own actions for that.

Nah, I am an asshole because I know the religion from the inside and outside, from scriptural teachings, to biblical historicity. That knowledge makes me feel elite...dickish...towards those who refuse to acknowledge facts. Here let me explain the difference

If I said no god exists, that may be a thoughtful perspective based on the observable world around us thus far, but could be called a knowledge claim. Now, if I said Mark was not written by the christian traditional story of “John, also called Mark,” (Ac 12:12,25; 15:37) but the work of an unknown author working with various sources including collections of miracle stories, controversy stories, parables, and a passion narrative, that would be a HISTORICAL FACT. See the difference between a knowledge claim and a historical fact? Since I know the difference, I am able to easily eviscerate the bible. The scholars and historians who study this know these facts, it is only the dumbasses who embrace belief with ZERO actual knowledge of the bible that don't know these things.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post