An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
10-02-2017, 08:04 AM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(14-09-2015 02:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 02:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Now I think the bible is a piece of garbage but since you are thinking it is truth I feel only words from the bible can compel you.
I don't think that the Bible is truth. I believe that in the Bible there is truth. There are also errors of men in the Bible.
(14-09-2015 02:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But as long as Alla keeps talking, I am happy to be led astray by listing to the opinions of a female. As I say, to hell with the bible and it's sexist tripe. Woman are to speak up if they want, and us guys are to listen to them no more or less than men.
I am glad that you listen to what I say. May be, you listen to what I say. Big Grin

Can you lay out your theology here. Because right now it seems very synctretic. Syncretism always has the problem of inconsistency.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Alla vs Naielis
Popcorn

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-02-2017, 09:00 AM
(10-02-2017 07:55 AM)Naielis Wrote:  And why is it that the book just happens to come right when the Jewish people were looking for a messiah?

That's not when the texts were either written, or assembled.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-02-2017, 09:32 AM
(10-02-2017 08:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Alla vs Naielis
Popcorn

I miss Alla. Weeping

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Naielis, you are replying to posts made in 2015. Consider

For pragmatists like us space-time is useful. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
10-02-2017, 12:43 PM
(10-02-2017 09:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Naielis, you are replying to posts made in 2015. Consider

I didn't see the time. I just saw this was a popular thread. Has Alla departed from this site since?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
10-02-2017, 04:23 PM
(10-02-2017 12:43 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 09:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Naielis, you are replying to posts made in 2015. Consider

I didn't see the time. I just saw this was a popular thread. Has Alla departed from this site since?

I haven’t seen her around in weeks, maybe months. Alla is a 7th Day Adventist, quite the viewpoint she has.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-02-2017, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 04:33 PM by Full Circle.)
(10-02-2017 04:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 12:43 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I didn't see the time. I just saw this was a popular thread. Has Alla departed from this site since?

I haven’t seen her around in weeks, maybe months. Alla is a 7th Day Adventist, quite the viewpoint she has.

I thought she was a Mormon. Consider

But now that you say that, her loony opinions seem more contextually appropriate.

I was going to type “they made more sense", but that didn't make any sense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-02-2017, 04:33 PM
(10-02-2017 04:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 04:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I haven’t seen her around in weeks, maybe months. Alla is a 7th Day Adventist, quite the viewpoint she has.

I thought she was a Mormon. Consider

But now that you say that, her loony opinions seem more contextually appropriate.

I was going to type “they made more sense", but that didn't make any sense.

I honestly don’t know what flavor of lunacy she prefers Chas.

10-02-2017, 05:25 PM
She was Mormon, with a special helping of Turtles-All-The-Way down philosophy to stitch her lunacy together.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post