An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Votes - 3.88 Average
11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
RE: An atheist's critique of the Bible (Book and eBook now available)
(11-04-2017 12:45 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  That's probably a good idea. Consider
I have an acquaintance who insists everything (including a human being) is either one way or the other - and he must be able to figure it out and categorize it.
He also insists he's "old" because he's 38. Dodgy

If I could get him to drop acid, maybe he would loosen up the sphincter and start thinking in a more jaded adult manner. Shy

No. Consistency is important. I don't care about "messy reality". This isn't reality. This is a pragmatic perception of reality as it pertains to living life. This is irrelevant in the search for truth.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ you're a pompous ass.
If they say reality is messy for them, then it is, Mr. Adolph Nails, the thought Nazi.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-04-2017, 01:00 PM
(11-04-2017 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:45 PM)Naielis Wrote:  No. Consistency is important. I don't care about "messy reality". This isn't reality. This is a pragmatic perception of reality as it pertains to living life. This is irrelevant in the search for truth.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ you're a pompous ass.
If they say reality is messy for them, then it is, Mr. Adolph Nails, the thought Nazi.

How exactly am I a thought Nazi? I'm just pointing out that I don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting. I never said they couldn't disagree. Honestly what have I done to piss you off?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
11-04-2017, 01:54 PM
(11-04-2017 01:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm just pointing out that I don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting.

Is there some kinda prize for which idiot can say the dumbest thing on TTA for the month of April?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
(11-04-2017 01:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm just pointing out that I don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting.

Is there some kinda prize for which idiot can say the dumbest thing on TTA for the month of April?

How is that dumb?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
11-04-2017, 02:33 PM
(11-04-2017 02:28 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  Is there some kinda prize for which idiot can say the dumbest thing on TTA for the month of April?

How is that dumb?

If you don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting then... what view of reality do you find interesting? The one with more fairies?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-04-2017, 05:56 AM
(11-04-2017 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 02:28 PM)Naielis Wrote:  How is that dumb?

If you don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting then... what view of reality do you find interesting? The one with more fairies?

Um no lol. Pragmatism refers to a worldview in which truth is based on or around the idea of what is useful to humans. Some even go as far as to say that something is false if it does not benefit us. I favor a rationalist supervenience physicalist approach. One might also call me a property dualist.

12-04-2017, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 06:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-04-2017 05:56 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you don't find the pragmatic view of reality interesting then... what view of reality do you find interesting? The one with more fairies?

Um no lol. Pragmatism refers to a worldview in which truth is based on or around the idea of what is useful to humans. Some even go as far as to say that something is false if it does not benefit us. I favor a rationalist supervenience physicalist approach. One might also call me a property dualist.

One might just call you insufferably boring. Tongue
Why stop there ?
Dodecaism is more fun and provides far more room to reify shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-04-2017, 07:56 AM
(12-04-2017 06:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:56 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Um no lol. Pragmatism refers to a worldview in which truth is based on or around the idea of what is useful to humans. Some even go as far as to say that something is false if it does not benefit us. I favor a rationalist supervenience physicalist approach. One might also call me a property dualist.

One might just call you insufferably boring. Tongue
Why stop there ?

Again I have to ask what I did to piss you off. Because there's clearly no real problem you have with the content of my statement.

12-04-2017, 08:46 AM
(12-04-2017 07:56 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 06:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One might just call you insufferably boring. Tongue
Why stop there ?

Again I have to ask what I did to piss you off. Because there's clearly no real problem you have with the content of my statement.

1. No one here "pisses me off". Some people need to (constantly) define themselves, for themselves in strict (even if meaningless) categories. That's boring.
2. There is a serious problem with your statement. Your categories are meaningless and false. Dualism is nonsense. The reification fallacy. Your "incompatibles" have not been demonstrated to be so, merely asserted to be incompatible.

12-04-2017, 09:09 AM
(12-04-2017 08:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  1. No one here "pisses me off".

Liar liar.

Quote:Some people need to (constantly) define themselves, for themselves in strict (even if meaningless) categories. That's boring.

I'm giving meaningful terms to help people understand my position. The world does not revolve around your declaration of what is meaningful.

Quote:2. There is a serious problem with your statement. Your categories are meaningless and false. Dualism is nonsense.

But you have no actual issue with the tenets of predicate or property dualism. You merely assigned a negative connotation to the word and now you can't back down on that action.

Quote:The reification fallacy.

That's not a complete thought. What about the fallacy? You've accused me of it several times but never fully explained how I committed it.

Quote:Your "incompatibles" have not been demonstrated to be so, merely asserted to be incompatible.

Ok even if you disagree with my argument about intentionality, it is extremely dishonest of you to claim I made no argument and merely asserted the incompatibility. Please try addressing my arguments without using the word "troll" or typing "LEARNING".