An atheist's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 07:41 PM
An atheist's funeral
I described my atheist father's funeral on another thread. Post # 22........

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid502839

That is about what I want when I die. Lots of laughter, stories of my life, beer or wine, good food. A super cheap affair with no casket or flowers. My father's ashes were in a used Tupperware tub I got at a yard sale for .75 cents. Can't beat that price! Something totally informal, no dressing up crap. It'll be great. Too bad I'll not be there to enjoy the whole thing.

How about you? What do you want for a funeral?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-02-2014, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 07:53 PM by DemonicLemon.)
RE: An atheist's funeral
I want a robot version of myself to throw my body into a shallow grave as heavy metal plays from speakers hidden around the park.

EDIT: before my body is thrown in, I want said robot to take a giant axe, cut off the head, then display it to the crowd before chucking it in the hole.
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
24-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Amongst the Top 10 ways to brighten your day:
Carlin's Stand-Up Big Grin

My funeral should be like Consider
This Evil_monster

Maybe this a few days later Evil_monster

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
24-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Why bother? The stench of your rotting corpse will see you buried one way or another.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
24-02-2014, 08:23 PM
(24-02-2014 08:09 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Why bother? The stench of your rotting corpse will see you buried one way or another.

Because, due to my love of scare pranks, I also have a perverse need to prank from beyond the grave!
Also, had any of the funerals I've attended in the past had a scare prank arranged by the deceased, I'd not only remember that event above all the others, I'd remember the deceased name and spread the word of his deeds for the rest of my life.
I don't give a damn about being remembered (I'd arrange the prank just to be an ass), but some people do... even for a moment you make mourners believe that the dead have risen... I think they'll remember it Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
24-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Just throw my body in a ditch or something and get on with life, I'd hate to be a nuisance just because I stopped working

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
24-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I'd like to either be cremated, or donate my body to science.

I don't know about the whole burial process. If anything, put a seed in my mouth so a tree can grow. I just want my body to be of use to somebody when I'm gone. Knowing that contribution before I'm dead, when it's able to matter to me as I'm aware of the choice that will be fulfilled before my demise, makes me content.

My friend once told me, "Only the living suffer", and it's true. When you're gone, you don't suffer. You don't know. It's the living that need closure, however they may see it. My wish is that they do not impose their wishful thinking upon others in the funeral process, and do not say it in my eulogy.

I do not want my atheism to be tarnished with a religious burial when I'm gone, even though I may not be aware of it. It's just the very cringing thought that when I'm gone, there might be family members and loved ones around me praying to a god that if real, was not worthy of my worship. That would be a tragic lie to my legacy. It would be a disgrace to everything I stood for. My family members, praying to a god that wasn't even real, would tarnish the first and foremost thing I'd stood for in my life, which was my non-belief.

They should remember that this person was an atheist to his dying day. They should respect that, and the way to do that would be to act in a way you could then confidently say to yourself, "That person would be happy if they were here."

I revel in the thought that when I'm gone, (hopefully!) there will be loved ones gathered around, just talking about the memories they had with me. The funny, the not so funny. I don't want crying and sadness, I want happiness and fulfillment.

Words can only describe so much, here's what I mean. Something like this.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
24-02-2014, 09:04 PM
My kids have been instructed to throw me a going away party with my ashes present. I asked to have my ashes either dumped in the bayou or make donation and placed in a reef rebuilding project. Yes I am from south louisiana.
24-02-2014, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2014 09:15 PM by donotwant.)
I want everybody to have best party of their lives. With lots of music, movies, drinks and SEX.
24-02-2014, 09:31 PM
I will become a trans-humanist.
Foreeeevvvvvverrrrr!
Muauahhahwuahwnjdeudxnuexjsjwmeskqkahahahwhayshwhue

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post