An atheist's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 09:36 PM
RE: An atheist's funeral
(24-02-2014 09:02 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'd like to either be cremated, or donate my body to science.

I don't know about the whole burial process. If anything, put a seed in my mouth so a tree can grow. I just want my body to be of use to somebody when I'm gone. Knowing that contribution before I'm dead, when it's able to matter to me as I'm aware of the choice that will be fulfilled before my demise, makes me content.

My friend once told me, "Only the living suffer", and it's true. When you're gone, you don't suffer. You don't know. It's the living that need closure, however they may see it. My wish is that they do not impose their wishful thinking upon others in the funeral process, and do not say it in my eulogy.

I do not want my atheism to be tarnished with a religious burial when I'm gone, even though I may not be aware of it. It's just the very cringing thought that when I'm gone, there might be family members and loved ones around me praying to a god that if real, was not worthy of my worship. That would be a tragic lie to my legacy. It would be a disgrace to everything I stood for. My family members, praying to a god that wasn't even real, would tarnish the first and foremost thing I'd stood for in my life, which was my non-belief.

They should remember that this person was an atheist to his dying day. They should respect that, and the way to do that would be to act in a way you could then confidently say to yourself, "That person would be happy if they were here."

I revel in the thought that when I'm gone, (hopefully!) there will be loved ones gathered around, just talking about the memories they had with me. The funny, the not so funny. I don't want crying and sadness, I want happiness and fulfillment.

Words can only describe so much, here's what I mean. Something like this.

That's close to what we did for my dad except we were all on the back porch in our tee shirts and shorts drinking wine and beer. We told uproariously funny stories about my dad for hours. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

One thing I really hate about traditional funerals is the cost of it all and funeral directors really take advantage of families in grief. Pastors and ministers take emotional advantage of people too. It's despicable. I have a friend who spent 15 thousand dollars of her fathers funeral. My jaw dropped. Why would a family spend that much money and resources on a funeral. I don't get it. Does it make people feel better, like they're getting their money's worth or something? Huh

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2014, 09:46 PM
It turns out dumping bodies in the middle of nowhere is, if not technically illegal, not particularly encouraged by the authorities. I should probably see if my parents have any backup plans.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-02-2014, 08:35 AM
My mother said that she wanted to be buried on the hill of her property that over looks her house.
I kept thinking, if I'm going to live here or sell the property, either way, I don't want a grave site on it as a constant reminder.

I tend to think that we bury people far away from our sight so that we aren't constantly reminded of the loss.
Growing up, my father had 110 acres of land, mostly woods that we would ride horses on.
In one section of the back end of the property was a very old cemetery. About 60 tombstones from the 1800's
As kids who would camp out, it was a very cool place to visit at midnight, riding around on horseback with only the moonlight to see by.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-02-2014, 08:50 AM
(24-02-2014 09:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It turns out dumping bodies in the middle of nowhere is, if not technically illegal, not particularly encouraged by the authorities. I should probably see if my parents have any backup plans.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
25-02-2014, 09:04 AM
(25-02-2014 08:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  My mother said that she wanted to be buried on the hill of her property that over looks her house.
I kept thinking, if I'm going to live here or sell the property, either way, I don't want a grave site on it as a constant reminder.

I tend to think that we bury people far away from our sight so that we aren't constantly reminded of the loss.
Growing up, my father had 110 acres of land, mostly woods that we would ride horses on.
In one section of the back end of the property was a very old cemetery. About 60 tombstones from the 1800's
As kids who would camp out, it was a very cool place to visit at midnight, riding around on horseback with only the moonlight to see by.

an old hippie friend died a few years ago. His wife had him cremated and brought his ashes to a big weekend party that we have on another friends property of 55 acres. His container sat on the stump near the bonfire all weekend- a few people said some words about him and 'to' him. Told loads of stories about him, etc. We lit chinese lanterns and put a scoop of ashes on each card- probably 30 or so lanterns and sent them floating high in the night sky. it was beautiful. the next day about 10-15 of us hiked the trails on the property and just spread him all out all over the place. We would spend every weekend in the summer camping, fishing, playing horse shoes and partying there. It was a great way to say goodbye.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
25-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Cremation please. With my ashes thrown off the top of black rock.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfnZZq4WAOTdaB9Um8d_U...zarEPyASC-]

To this music...

I would drift over the whole of the peak district, a place that I love.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Donate my body. Still torn between medical research and organ donation. If only I could do both...
25-02-2014, 09:17 AM
(25-02-2014 09:15 AM)natachan Wrote:  Still torn between medical research and organ donation. If only I could do both...

Organ donation to medical research.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
25-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I want to be pickled in vinegar in an enormous screw-lid jar and handed down from generation to generation as a creepy family heirloom. Just a weird, white, wrinkled cadaver floating eerily in a jar of preservative. If my eyes are open, even better.
25-02-2014, 10:35 AM
(25-02-2014 10:17 AM)Seldon Wrote:  I want to be pickled in vinegar in an enormous screw-lid jar and handed down from generation to generation as a creepy family heirloom. Just a weird, white, wrinkled cadaver floating eerily in a jar of preservative. If my eyes are open, even better.

ew…I might have to sell you to that Oddities store. Or you could be the Christmas gag gift. LOL

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller