An atheist's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 10:52 AM
RE: An atheist's funeral
My parents ashes were mixed together and sprinkled in 4 places that were significant to them.

I'm alternating between the Body Farm and blowing in the wind.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 11:41 AM
(25-02-2014 09:13 AM)bemore Wrote:  Cremation please. With my ashes thrown off the top of black rock.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfnZZq4WAOTdaB9Um8d_U...zarEPyASC-]

To this music...

I would drift over the whole of the peak district, a place that I love.

Living on the west coast, my ashes in the Pacific Ocean has a nice ring to it.

For example......

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-02-2014, 12:38 PM
My father died last year. His wish was to be cremated. He thought that his ashes were to be put in a cemetery, but I could just retrieve them, then I went with my brothers on a boat trip, and sank the cupper urn (had to drill a couple holes) into the lake near his birthplace. I wish the same for me.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
25-02-2014, 01:06 PM
My parents are religious and my dad is donating his body to science anyway. They are supposed to cremate it and send it back to my mom or me if she had already died. He wants to be dumped in the bayou near our family's fishing camp, which is on the site of the trapping camp that he spent a good part of his youth. Mom has plans for a regular catholic funeral, but I suggested we cremate her and mix her with my dad so they could be together forever. They really do have the kind of marriage they they should be together forever, even if it is symbolic.
25-02-2014, 05:36 PM
(25-02-2014 01:06 PM)wazzel Wrote:  My parents are religious and my dad is donating his body to science anyway. They are supposed to cremate it and send it back to my mom or me if she had already died. He wants to be dumped in the bayou near our family's fishing camp, which is on the site of the trapping camp that he spent a good part of his youth. Mom has plans for a regular catholic funeral, but I suggested we cremate her and mix her with my dad so they could be together forever. They really do have the kind of marriage they they should be together forever, even if it is symbolic.

Isn't it against the Catholic rules to be cremated? My grandmother was an Episcopal and it was not part of the faith to be cremated. She was horrified that my grandfather wanted to be cremated but he was an agnostic and wrote it in his will. She tried to get him to change it but he refused. He was a mason and the masons paid for the funeral costs.

Have the Catholics changed things on that?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
25-02-2014, 06:57 PM
(25-02-2014 05:36 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 01:06 PM)wazzel Wrote:  My parents are religious and my dad is donating his body to science anyway. They are supposed to cremate it and send it back to my mom or me if she had already died. He wants to be dumped in the bayou near our family's fishing camp, which is on the site of the trapping camp that he spent a good part of his youth. Mom has plans for a regular catholic funeral, but I suggested we cremate her and mix her with my dad so they could be together forever. They really do have the kind of marriage they they should be together forever, even if it is symbolic.

Isn't it against the Catholic rules to be cremated? My grandmother was an Episcopal and it was not part of the faith to be cremated. She was horrified that my grandfather wanted to be cremated but he was an agnostic and wrote it in his will. She tried to get him to change it but he refused. He was a mason and the masons paid for the funeral costs.

Yup, you can be cremated as a catholic. Rule change in the 1960's and the ashes are allowed a the funeral mass as of late 1990's. Lots of catholics do not know this.
25-02-2014, 07:06 PM
(25-02-2014 05:36 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Yes they have, at least in Europe. They reached the conclusion that your resurrection won't need a stinking corpse anyway. The Catholic Church is slow, "eppur si muove".
Laugh out load

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
25-02-2014, 08:44 PM
(25-02-2014 06:57 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 05:36 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Isn't it against the Catholic rules to be cremated? My grandmother was an Episcopal and it was not part of the faith to be cremated. She was horrified that my grandfather wanted to be cremated but he was an agnostic and wrote it in his will. She tried to get him to change it but he refused. He was a mason and the masons paid for the funeral costs.

Yup, you can be cremated as a catholic. Rule change in the 1960's and the ashes are allowed a the funeral mass as of late 1990's. Lots of catholics do not know this.

Huh, was kinda still confused on this. I know that when my grandpa died a few years ago my grandma went to into a big huff because they wanted to do an autopsy on him and she believed it was wrong to defile the body like that.
25-02-2014, 08:48 PM
(25-02-2014 08:44 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 06:57 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Yup, you can be cremated as a catholic. Rule change in the 1960's and the ashes are allowed a the funeral mass as of late 1990's. Lots of catholics do not know this.

Huh, was kinda still confused on this. I know that when my grandpa died a few years ago my grandma went to into a big huff because they wanted to do an autopsy on him and she believed it was wrong to defile the body like that.

I suspect your grandmother was born before the 1960's rule change. Misinformation and misunderstanding. It is hard enough keeping track of what days you can not eat meat and when to sit-stand-kneel and who's feast day it is to keep cremation sorted out.
25-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I really don't care what happens to my body. Donate it, burn it, don't care cuz I'm dead. However the funeral itself I think I'd like more like my grandma's funeral. It only had us immediate relatives. No tons of friends (or "friends") of grandma or some great grand cousin of hers, just her kids and their kids (and their kids). It was smaller, a little bit more intimate, and faster. That's what I want. I never like a lot of attention so I don't want a lot of people. Especially those people that would show up saying, "oh I loved her so much she was so sweet she was a close friend" though if I was there I'd say to them, "the hell made you think we were close? I barely saw you!" You know those kids of people. Annoying. Above all, I want an ice cream bar. With a variety of toppings and flavors. I blame this idea on UHF.

Who the fuck wants a salad bar?! Give the grieving people some cold, sugary goodness!
Then again, with my luck, whoever arranges my dead people stuff won't do any of this. I'll be sure to stress the ice cream bar at my funeral after I turn 80 and many more times as I lay on my deathbed.

[Image: notagain.gif]