An atheist's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 06:59 AM
RE: An atheist's funeral
Dig a hole in the garden and throw me in.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Throw me in the ocean from the helicopter.
26-02-2014, 10:19 AM
(24-02-2014 09:02 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'd like to either be cremated, or donate my body to science.

I don't know about the whole burial process. If anything, put a seed in my mouth so a tree can grow. I just want my body to be of use to somebody when I'm gone. Knowing that contribution before I'm dead, when it's able to matter to me as I'm aware of the choice that will be fulfilled before my demise, makes me content.

My friend once told me, "Only the living suffer", and it's true. When you're gone, you don't suffer. You don't know. It's the living that need closure, however they may see it. My wish is that they do not impose their wishful thinking upon others in the funeral process, and do not say it in my eulogy.

I do not want my atheism to be tarnished with a religious burial when I'm gone, even though I may not be aware of it. It's just the very cringing thought that when I'm gone, there might be family members and loved ones around me praying to a god that if real, was not worthy of my worship. That would be a tragic lie to my legacy. It would be a disgrace to everything I stood for. My family members, praying to a god that wasn't even real, would tarnish the first and foremost thing I'd stood for in my life, which was my non-belief.

They should remember that this person was an atheist to his dying day. They should respect that, and the way to do that would be to act in a way you could then confidently say to yourself, "That person would be happy if they were here."

I revel in the thought that when I'm gone, (hopefully!) there will be loved ones gathered around, just talking about the memories they had with me. The funny, the not so funny. I don't want crying and sadness, I want happiness and fulfillment.

Ditto....except maybe the cremation part, I don't know why but that just freaks me out. I like the idea my parts being donated to others in need and the idea of planting seeds in me is very appealing because then my energy can be passed onto the tree or flowers or whatever in the form of food. This may sound weird but I think it is easier to accept that we turn to flowers and trees once dead than to say we become worm food....not that that isn't true, its just how I like to look at it.

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
26-02-2014, 10:30 AM
(26-02-2014 10:19 AM)Pearl Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 09:02 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'd like to either be cremated, or donate my body to science.

I don't know about the whole burial process. If anything, put a seed in my mouth so a tree can grow. I just want my body to be of use to somebody when I'm gone. Knowing that contribution before I'm dead, when it's able to matter to me as I'm aware of the choice that will be fulfilled before my demise, makes me content.

My friend once told me, "Only the living suffer", and it's true. When you're gone, you don't suffer. You don't know. It's the living that need closure, however they may see it. My wish is that they do not impose their wishful thinking upon others in the funeral process, and do not say it in my eulogy.

I do not want my atheism to be tarnished with a religious burial when I'm gone, even though I may not be aware of it. It's just the very cringing thought that when I'm gone, there might be family members and loved ones around me praying to a god that if real, was not worthy of my worship. That would be a tragic lie to my legacy. It would be a disgrace to everything I stood for. My family members, praying to a god that wasn't even real, would tarnish the first and foremost thing I'd stood for in my life, which was my non-belief.

They should remember that this person was an atheist to his dying day. They should respect that, and the way to do that would be to act in a way you could then confidently say to yourself, "That person would be happy if they were here."

I revel in the thought that when I'm gone, (hopefully!) there will be loved ones gathered around, just talking about the memories they had with me. The funny, the not so funny. I don't want crying and sadness, I want happiness and fulfillment.

Ditto....except maybe the cremation part, I don't know why but that just freaks me out. I like the idea my parts being donated to others in need and the idea of planting seeds in me is very appealing because then my energy can be passed onto the tree or flowers or whatever in the form of food. This may sound weird but I think it is easier to accept that we turn to flowers and trees once dead than to say we become worm food....not that that isn't true, its just how I like to look at it.

Well, If you are going to look at this a bit closer, worm food turns into worm waste - a perfect fertilizer. Ash is a partial fertilizer.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man