An atheist's life has no meaning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 09:18 PM
An atheist's life has no meaning.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-06-2013, 09:42 PM
RE: An atheist's life has no meaning.
Actually I prefer my life to have no meaning per se... I rather give my life meaning as I see fit, as I think that giving meaning to things is the most defining thing a human can do, searching meaning for our lives outside is giving up our own humanity

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post
26-06-2013, 09:54 PM
(26-06-2013 09:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Actually I prefer my life to have no meaning per se... I rather give my life meaning as I see fit, as I think that giving meaning to things is the most defining thing a human can do, searching meaning for our lives outside is giving up our own humanity

I wouldn't disagree at all. I think that what he's saying in the video encompasses that view. Life itself is the meaning, whatever attributes you infuse into your life make it that much more meaningful.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-06-2013, 10:10 PM
(26-06-2013 09:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 09:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Actually I prefer my life to have no meaning per se... I rather give my life meaning as I see fit, as I think that giving meaning to things is the most defining thing a human can do, searching meaning for our lives outside is giving up our own humanity

I wouldn't disagree at all. I think that what he's saying in the video encompasses that view. Life itself is the meaning, whatever attributes you infuse into your life make it that much more meaningful.

yes, I wasn't disagreeing with the video, just expanding on the topic... but I clearly failed to point that out Tongue

26-06-2013, 10:24 PM
(26-06-2013 10:10 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 09:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I wouldn't disagree at all. I think that what he's saying in the video encompasses that view. Life itself is the meaning, whatever attributes you infuse into your life make it that much more meaningful.

yes, I wasn't disagreeing with the video, just expanding on the topic... but I clearly failed to point that out Tongue

I know, I got ya. I was just agreeing to your agreeing disagreement. Agreed? Consider

Big Grin

~ Umberto Eco
26-06-2013, 10:31 PM
(26-06-2013 10:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(26-06-2013 10:10 PM)nach_in Wrote:  yes, I wasn't disagreeing with the video, just expanding on the topic... but I clearly failed to point that out Tongue

I know, I got ya. I was just agreeing to your agreeing disagreement. Agreed? Consider

Big Grin

I fear I'm going to regret this but... agreed Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post