An atheistic Philisophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2010, 12:33 AM

An atheistic Philisophy
Hi everyone,
Atheists tend to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales for not believing in any deity include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[7] rationalism, and naturalism,[8] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

RE: An atheistic Philisophy
(04-02-2010 12:33 AM)ianjose Wrote:  There is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.

Well, I disagree there.

(Bots are starting to get annoying...)
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM

(04-02-2010 12:33 AM)ianjose Wrote:  Hi everyone,
Atheists tend to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales for not believing in any deity include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[7] rationalism, and naturalism,[8] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.

As I matured, I felt that my search for truth was philosophical, but as I explored the question of existence without religion, I came to see that, without a God, philosophy itself does not adhere! Now I recognize (and I'm not saying I've reached an ending to questions) that my approach must be a societal one.

The Commies learned that the hard way--outlawing religion may be a way of disproving God, but it succeeds in proving (or creating) a hell on earth. No, the billions who put faith in Religion benefit from a sense of purpose, emotional comfort, and a form of community. No small product for such a low price, eh?

As you say, Atheism is unique--it requires a 'broader than most' education (not MORE schooling, mind, but education of some form). It requires a persona that 'grasps the nettle' if you will--there is a certain element of fear involved in rejecting (and here I'm speaking from my own experience) one's teachers, parents, and society insofar as agreeing to drink the kool-aid. I mean, you don't have to leave home but you do have to see home differently, less cozily.

Atheism is caviar, too. An acquired taste, not for everyone, and dangerous when over-indulged in. When I had my liver transplant, every single friend and relative--even some medical and nursing staff--said things like 'We'll pray for you', 'What a blessing', etc. I chose not to argue theology at that time in my life--I needed these peoples' support and good wishes--who was I to argue over details?

I (We, I mean, though I should say She) raised two kids atheist. They are quite comfortable with it, having never known much about alternatives, but when they were tots we were careful to keep God and Heaven in the Santa\Easter Bunny category.

And their atheisms are different, from each others' as well as mine. I think it is because atheism is not an answer, it is a rejection of some wrong ones. And what a vocabularial mine-field it is--just now I thought 'hey, don't say religions are wrong, that's too confrontational' but, well, hell they are wrong, what can you do?
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM

I'd agree that atheists as a whole tend to lean towards skepticism - in fact, I myself came to atheism as a result of skepticism. But it's far from the entire makeup of the atheist crowd. I know atheists who believe in a young Earth, who don't believe in evolution, who believe in homeopathy, who believe in alien visitation and abduction, who are avid Bigfoot watchers...
I also don't particularly see the value of the problem of evil when attempting to disprove the existence of a god. It may prove that the god in question is a) not omnibenevolent, b) not omnipotent or c) not omniscient, but it doesn't really disprove it entirely. The rest of the arguments you mention I haven't really heard of, such as the "argument from inconsistent revelations". Can you give a more complete description?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM

There is one ideology that all atheists adhere to: not one of us believe in a diety.
09-02-2010, 02:32 PM

I don't even like the word "atheist". It's sort of a pejorative term---at least that's the way it comes off in main stream society. I just can't stand it that this one word, which describes so little about who I am, ends up being the label that sticks. It's ironic. It's like this Jesus guy who came out and said "I don't need no stinkin' religion"--- and then shortly after, he becomes the poster boy for a major new religion (or at least an extension of the previous). I'll accept "atheist" for lack of a better word, but I don't have to like it.
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Karen Armstrong, who is far from being Atheist, came up with a Charter for Compassion which was signed by a number of notable folks (i.e. Sir Richard Branson, a well known Atheist).

Here it is:

The principle of compassion lies at the heart of all religious, ethical and spiritual traditions, calling us always to treat all others as we wish to be treated ourselves. Compassion impels us to work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of our fellow creatures, to dethrone ourselves from the centre of our world and put another there, and to honour the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity and respect.

It is also necessary in both public and private life to refrain consistently and empathically from inflicting pain. To act or speak violently out of spite, chauvinism, or self-interest, to impoverish, exploit or deny basic rights to anybody, and to incite hatred by denigrating others—even our enemies—is a denial of our common humanity. We acknowledge that we have failed to live compassionately and that some have even increased the sum of human misery in the name of religion.

We therefore call upon all men and women ~ to restore compassion to the centre of morality and religion ~ to return to the ancient principle that any interpretation of scripture that breeds violence, hatred or disdain is illegitimate ~ to ensure that youth are given accurate and respectful information about other traditions, religions and cultures ~ to encourage a positive appreciation of cultural and religious diversity ~ to cultivate an informed empathy with the suffering of all human beings—even those regarded as enemies.

We urgently need to make compassion a clear, luminous and dynamic force in our polarized world. Rooted in a principled determination to transcend selfishness, compassion can break down political, dogmatic, ideological and religious boundaries. Born of our deep interdependence, compassion is essential to human relationships and to a fulfilled humanity. It is the path to enlightenment, and indispensible to the creation of a just economy and a peaceful global community.

It can be found here: http://charterforcompassion.org/share/the-charter/

Honestly, if you take out all the religious reference, I think this could be a good start to crafting a HUMANIST charter. It would be the grounds on which MANY Atheists can base their world approach on. This would also shut up all the theists who ask the inane question "What DO you believe in?"

Just a thought.
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM

I like Karen Armstrong. I think she went into theology for all the right reasons. But theology is the wrong profession for an honest "soul". She went through the front door and (over time) straight out the back. It reminds me of that line in that Genesis song--"you gotta get in to get out" (I think that was from the album with "The lamb lies down on broadway" tune). Anyway, it's a very ambitious charter---but we are a very ambitious species. So more power to her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheistic evidence or criteria for proof of God λάθε βιώσας 140 3,764 29-12-2013 04:33 PM
Last Post: λάθε βιώσας
  Hitler's Inspirational Atheistic speech IndianAtheist 8 289 02-12-2013 08:28 AM
Last Post: IndianAtheist
  Is Buddhism atheistic / rational? guitarist 11 622 29-10-2013 05:27 PM
Last Post: The_Thinking_Theist
  Meet the Skeptical Atheistic Engineer Luminon 9 460 25-09-2013 01:34 AM
Last Post: Terryfholmes
  "The Truman Show" — The Best Atheistic Movie Ever Human Being 7 779 16-07-2013 02:06 AM
Last Post: Raiz
  Is Drishtantoism an atheistic philosophy? TanvirMasud 38 1,185 29-06-2013 11:15 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's. advancedatheist 14 1,255 25-06-2012 05:58 AM
Last Post: Science Believer